Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for all the replies

We too have got the heavy chassis and 4500kg upgrade
I have been told by adding full air it can be put up to 4800kg
Yes that’s correct we have goldschmitt full air on 4500 kg Hymer and can go up to 4800kg if required but need to change rear tyre loading to 121

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Zapp
Dealer told me inverter will give is 240v power off grid for a short time is this correct as would be able to charge ebikes off grid then

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Yes we have charged both our e-bikes thr the inverter but we only charge them in the summer when we have plenty of sun , it all depends how much power you have ie solar and batteries

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Zapp
Dealer told me inverter will give is 240v power off grid for a short time is this correct as would be able to charge ebikes off grid then
OK providing you have at least 2 batteries preferably 3, with only 2 it tends to hammer them a bit.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
It has 2 batteries not sure if room to add another don't think there is

Will be getting solar fitted at sap Doncaster when Mick does the levelling jacks

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
I have had this one from South downs seem very nice but then again they all do when taking your money only time will tell can't be any worse than brownhills

South downs have been brilliant for us with warranty work and damp & hab checks, despite us not purchasing our CTourer Sport from them

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We too have got the heavy chassis and 4500kg upgrade
I have been told by adding full air it can be put up to 4800kg but I will never need that
We are well loaded when we go off on a longer trip with full water, 180 litres, full gas and fuel plus loads of kit and a heavy E bike in the garage.
Every now and again I put the van on a weighbrige near home and we are always well under 4500kg.
You always need loads of spare payload for the wine and beer. :D(y)

Richard.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The OP may consider joining Carthago Owners UK, £10/year. Website + active closed Facebook group.

They also organise rallies in UK & abroad, if you're interested in meeting like-minded members.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Yes I may join that not got Facebook but website may be worth a look

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are on our third Carthago, we had to reject the last one so waited for quite a while last year without one. We have a Chic E Line, the only problem we have is it runs like a slug until it gets warm, we thought that the heat exchanger worked both ways and that having the heating on in the habitation would warm the engine, but it seems that is not the case. We had full air fitted by Mick Leightley,and we have a birds eye camera which is brilliant.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have been told mine will heat engine if heating is on my brother also has this on his knaus sun I

Why did you reject your other carthago

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We are on our third Carthago, we had to reject the last one so waited for quite a while last year without one. We have a Chic E Line, the only problem we have is it runs like a slug until it gets warm, we thought that the heat exchanger worked both ways and that having the heating on in the habitation would warm the engine, but it seems that is not the case. We had full air fitted by Mick Leightley,and we have a birds eye camera which is brilliant.
On ours the heating does warm the engine, but you must have the heating pump running (i.e. the heating thermostat is calling for heat) and the manual pump that circulates the engine coolant needs to be switched on. On ours the switch is below the right-hand seat behind the driver's seat.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
On ours the heating does warm the engine, but you must have the heating pump running (i.e. the heating thermostat is calling for heat) and the manual pump that circulates the engine coolant needs to be switched on. On ours the switch is below the right-hand seat behind the driver's seat.

We haven't yet found a switch for the manual pump. I'll have another look in daylight.
Lanerboy, we rejected it after it had been in dealers in France and U.K. on and off for 6 months. It was a flat as the proverbial. One Fiat Proffesional told us that we should not expect any more power and we would have to live with it. After being without it for months we were asked by the garage to take it home for Christmas and take it back to them in January at which time Fiat technicians from Italy would look at it, but they had no date arranged. That was the last straw, we had told Fiat months earlier that we would reject it if they did not sort it. We then had to wait for a replacement.

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
Another happy Carthago owner here. We have a T150 C Tourer at 4500 kgs, now just over 3 years old, 18,000 miles and no complaints. We are in the Carthago owners group,and I have facebook set up only for that. Certainly worth considering as lots of info can be gleaned from there. Also went on their group meet to Slovenia last year and had a great time. We had a Rapido before and we find the Carthago is a major step up in quality and insulation, and we only have the Truma heating. I fitted most of the extras myself, solar, satellite, extra battery, twin camera, inverter etc, as we were on the limit of our budget buying the MH. Now saving for leveling jacks, which unfortunately I won't be able to fit myself.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000

Thanks, after ringing the dealers and being told different places to find the switch at last we found it. Could you confirm that we need the heating pump on at the same time as the manual pump. I know you have already told me that, but I don’t want to damage anything.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Thanks, after ringing the dealers and being told different places to find the switch at last we found it. Could you confirm that we need the heating pump on at the same time as the manual pump. I know you have already told me that, but I don’t want to damage anything.
Hi, yes when the habitation heating is on and the circulation pump is running, hot water passes through the heat exchanger. On ours, this is located in what used to be the right hand side cab step, with a removable hatch in the floor underneath the handbrake.
The switch we're talking about circulates the engine coolant through the heat exchanger, thus warming the engine - a little!
You can run the coolant through the exchanger without having the heating on; no damage will be caused but no benefit will be gained, either. The heat exchanger is effectively two water circuits running close together but with no direct connection.
The system also works in reverse, in which case the manual switch is not required because the coolant is circulating anyway, but the Alde heating needs to be circulating, which you can also switch on manually from the control panel. I've never bothered with that, just leave the heating on. Hope this helps!

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Hi, yes when the habitation heating is on and the circulation pump is running, hot water passes through the heat exchanger. On ours, this is located in what used to be the right hand side cab step, with a removable hatch in the floor underneath the handbrake.
The switch we're talking about circulates the engine coolant through the heat exchanger, thus warming the engine - a little!
You can run the coolant through the exchanger without having the heating on; no damage will be caused but no benefit will be gained, either. The heat exchanger is effectively two water circuits running close together but with no direct connection.
The system also works in reverse, in which case the manual switch is not required because the coolant is circulating anyway, but the Alde heating needs to be circulating, which you can also switch on manually from the control panel. I've never bothered with that, just leave the heating on. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your very clear instructions you know a lot more than our dealers technicians. We are setting off tomorrow and listening to the weather forecast we will need a bit of warmth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back