New Carthago Brakes, how long to bed in? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Picked up new van C Tourer T148H October 4th, drove a few miles from dealership to Vanbitz to get some essential done by Eddie & crew. I was instantly aware that because the van was brand new with zero miles that the brakes would need to bed in before being trusted. I took things slow, leaving as much distance to anything in front all the way home up the A303 to Camberley. We have been out twice since then and the brakes are improving somewhat. We have now done around 600 miles, but I feel we will have to do more miles to get them bedded in more before I can trust them.
We are running at around 3500KGs, I just thought I would ask you guys if you are happy with your brake function, having bedded the pads in?
I dont expect them to be as sharp as our Car obviously, because of size and weight of the van of course, but I am concerned that if the usual "Nob head" cuts in front of me, brakes hard just before a motorway exit junction as the do, that I might need an underwear change, or a new front end. :eek::eek::eek:
It always winds me up as the sensible gap that I leave between me and any vehicle in front always seems so convenient for these nobs to think ,Oh that will do I can get in there!
Might need to consider a Brembo Caliper upgrade for driving around the M3/M4 these days.:cautious::cautious::cautious:
I would like to add at this point that the brakes dont feel spongy as such because the I can feel the pads touch the disks through the peddle, so they dont feel as they need bleeding.
Thanks for any feed back, hoping brakes will improve with time but you guys will know better.
PS:
Very pleased with new van though, not many rattles apart from shower door, so a towel has been placed to stop that as a temp measure, only one bottom kitchen drawer flew open on a roundabout, coming of its runners as it had no weight in it (I am told by dealers) First 3 month hab check went well, no leaks, got sticker in log book.
Just waiting for the weather to improve or be a little dryer at least, then we can hit the road again.:)
Les

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
After 600 miles it's probably time for you to know what the brakes are capable of, or not, should you need them urgently. Treating them too gently could result in glazed pads.
We've explored the limits on a couple of occasions and found them to be quite good for such a large vehicle.
Maybe a quiet road somewhere could be a good place to try some hard braking.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Bed them in with two hard stops from 60mph to standstill. Give them a couple of miles to cool then do it again. They'll never bed in braking gently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
So in other words "White Van Man Style"
Thanks everyone, Dint think I was being soft on the brake peddle mind you, but will give it a go next time out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Usually find they are a be weak for the first 10-20 miles after the pads have had a bit of contact with the discs they are fine, had 3 new vans all on the Fiat all been about the same, never even thought about bedding the brakes in, thats something we used to do in the 60's with drum brakes.

Drive down the road at 40mph stomp on the brake peddle and do an emergency stop, if you break all your crockery your brakes are fine.:rofl:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Bed them in with two hard stops from 60mph to standstill. Give them a couple of miles to cool then do it again. They'll never bed in braking gently.
My thoughts exactly, go somewhere quiet and do a few emergency stops starting from 30 mph and then working your way up speedwise as you get more comfortable with the way the MH reacts to your heavy braking.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

That’s what the garage told me on Tuesday, so I took her out gave her about twenty mins of hard braking on straights etc seems to have done the trick lovely!! On the way home, did it a couple more times and they feel like there as good as they were before, if not better!!
Garage told me hard braking was the key!!

Running Helga at 3,6 tonne!! Give or take a hundredweight!! Lol.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I think they call it an Italian tune up :D

As said a few good hard braking seshions and job done.
You need to make the pads the same shape as the discs and burn the crap off the discs (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed.
Applying gently will only glaze the pads making them worse than useless.
Use normal braking from day one but not so much attempting to lock the wheels...just reasonably heavy braking.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When I get a new to me vehicle I always put it through it’s paces on a long quiet road so when the inevitable happens I know how the vehicle will react.....

It’s got me out of a few scrapes .....(y)

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Picked up new van C Tourer T148H October 4th, drove a few miles from dealership to Vanbitz to get some essential done by Eddie & crew. I was instantly aware that because the van was brand new with zero miles that the brakes would need to bed in before being trusted. I took things slow, leaving as much distance to anything in front all the way home up the A303 to Camberley. We have been out twice since then and the brakes are improving somewhat. We have now done around 600 miles, but I feel we will have to do more miles to get them bedded in more before I can trust them.
We are running at around 3500KGs, I just thought I would ask you guys if you are happy with your brake function, having bedded the pads in?
I dont expect them to be as sharp as our Car obviously, because of size and weight of the van of course, but I am concerned that if the usual "Nob head" cuts in front of me, brakes hard just before a motorway exit junction as the do, that I might need an underwear change, or a new front end. :eek::eek::eek:
It always winds me up as the sensible gap that I leave between me and any vehicle in front always seems so convenient for these nobs to think ,Oh that will do I can get in there!
Might need to consider a Brembo Caliper upgrade for driving around the M3/M4 these days.:cautious::cautious::cautious:
I would like to add at this point that the brakes dont feel spongy as such because the I can feel the pads touch the disks through the peddle, so they dont feel as they need bleeding.
Thanks for any feed back, hoping brakes will improve with time but you guys will know better.
PS:
Very pleased with new van though, not many rattles apart from shower door, so a towel has been placed to stop that as a temp measure, only one bottom kitchen drawer flew open on a roundabout, coming of its runners as it had no weight in it (I am told by dealers) First 3 month hab check went well, no leaks, got sticker in log book.
Just waiting for the weather to improve or be a little dryer at least, then we can hit the road again.:)
Les
Ours on our CTourer Sport took about a thousand miles.
Bottom drawer flying out is common, watch out for the top drawer flying out when it is full!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When I get a new to me vehicle I always put it through it’s paces on a long quiet road so when the inevitable happens I know how the vehicle will react.....

It’s got me out of a few scrapes .....(y)

Don’t I know it Sterling :D

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Bottom drawer flying out is common, watch out for the top drawer flying out when it is full!
Yes thanks for that, must confess to being a little disappointed, as Carthago,s joinery & Cupboards was the first thing that impressed us on the inside. I did read about a mod being done by a funster, by placing 6mm plastic wedges under the runners to give better support for the slide out drawers, but all will be well as I am used to carrying out running repairs being an ex Swift owner! :)

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Yep, we packed ours, another tip is if the cutlery drawer is stiff to shut, don't force it as there is probably something stuck on the sink waste and it will snap off.....not that I done that of course o_O
Other than that enjoy, happy travels
Lel

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Emergency stops aren't needed! Just firm continuous braking to a standstill - the objective is to thoroughly heat the brakes. Emergency stops in motorhomes are best saved for emergencies - I always ask non-motorhome-ing friends to imagine taking their lounge out for a spin when they want to know what it's like to drive :D.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

Yep - top draw full of cutlery flying out makes quite an effect - lost mine about 5 or 6 times and the right corner has now disappeared completely - due To accidentally forgetting to push the lock in but once with the lock in place - just try and open it once it’s locked to be sure.

@TinaL - Brakes, just use them aggressively for a while as others have said :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back