Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
At the moment i have a Lumix TZ70 camera but i think i would be better off buying a new camera.
I would like a camera thats suitable for taking pictures of scenery and wildlife for going out in the countryside and taking good pictures.
Maybe i would be better off with a SLR camera,your thoughts and recommendations of a good camera.

Thanks
rich

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
You need to ascertain what you want to do with it, my other half was told by many others that SLR was the way to go, however, we love our wildlife and can walk some distances and did not want a camera that was heavy and unwealdy!! we were advised that we should opt for a bridging camera so ended up with a Fujii FZ720 (I think that's right) I can check when I get home tomorrow..My avator pic was taken with it..We did not want to spend a lot till we saw how we got on with it..I am no expert..someone with better knowledge will probably be along soonish

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Sorry I think you already have the same camera..duh!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe a left field suggestion, consider your phone. I know nothing but my 18y/o (A level photography) told my wife that my new iPhone 8 Plus has a better camera than her DSLR.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've posted images on here taken with my phone and they look about the same as those taken with my camera, an Olympus OM-D E10. :)

But the phone isn't good for many shots, such as macro or telephoto which I take quite a few of.

So if you just want to take pictures of people, food, buildings and landscapes a phone really is an option now but I wouldn't be without my SLR which I chose because it is very compact for an SLR.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The term bridge camera seems to be used these days, it covers a unit with decent zoom, reasonable macro and good general purpose

I have had great success over recent years with my Canon SX starter with a 30 that developed an intermittent lens fault after three years, now got a 2 year old SX 60

But have just ordered a Nikon P900 based on reviews, awesome zoom equivalent to 2000mm, my SX60 has 1365mm and is good enough, hoping for even more detailed bird photos (y)

All for under £500 which will not even buy a body these days (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A good SLR is always the way to go if you're serious about it or really want to get into photography.

Once you've got one I'd suggest finding a course at your local college to learn at least the basics of how to use it properly. ***

Once you've got that basic knowledge the world is your lobster (y)

*** Important note: Leaving it on full auto and just pointing it at something and pressing the button is not using it properly. You may as well stick with what you have if you're going to do that (y):D2

Deleted User
I know someone who has recently purchased a Fuji X-T2 and has taken stunning photos and can enlarge them to be big enough for framing as pictures. I was a bit stunned myself when I heard the price.
If just taking snaps then you don't need to spend a lot of money. If you want to be more creative, use filters, have a large choice of lens and want to print off large size photos then a DSLR is probably the best choice.
The quality of the picture depends upon various things such as lens quality, size of sensor, pixel count & density etc but most importantly it is the ability of the user.
Mirrorless cameras such as the Fuji X-T2 are becoming more popular and with both Nikon and Canon about to announce their mirrorless cameras then the prices may get more reasonable.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Depends on so much tbh. Budget and portability probably the biggest things.

Maybe spend a few hours in a good camera store trying things out, see what you like.

A camera with interchangeable lenses is great but if you want to capture wildlife, which could be some distance away, you'll probably want a fairly long lens. For scenery, most seem to prefer a very wide lens (I don't) and then you'd probably want a standard focal length lens.

So your up to 3 lenses and camera body. Before you get hooked :)

If you do go down the interchangeable lens route you have two main options. A DSLR or a mirrorless camera. This really is down to what you get on better with. My Missus swears by DSLR's (Canon shooter) but I way prefer mirrorless (Sony).

Then there's learning to use the thing properly. In Auto they are really no better than any other camera. Both the Missus and I prefer to shoot in full manual mode the majority of the time. @NickNic suggestion of taking a course is a good one. Camera clubs seem to suit some as well.

If this all seems too much hassle then I'd seriously consider a bridge. I bought my Dad a Nikon P900 a while back and it really isn't bad at all.

Finally, phone cameras have come on so far. I have a Pixel 2 XL and if I just need quick snaps this is what I pick up. In fact while building our van I've only used my phone for speed.

If photography is something you like the idea of turning into a hobby and you want to learn the ins and outs and if the idea of spending hours out with a camera appeals, go for an interchangeable lens camera. If you just want to take snaps I wouldn't bother.

It's mainly a hobby for both of us (we do do paid work, but try to keep it more hobby) and our favourite thing is spending time out in the van, with our camera gear. They two hobbies go so well together :)

DSC03574.jpg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Wildlife and scenery cover both ends of the lens spectrum (telephoto and wide angle). I’ve worked my way through small pocketable cameras to large professional system cameras, twice. There is no perfect solution, it’s more about ‘horses for courses’, but a camera in your pocket can be with you at all times, rather than not and a fixed zoom lens saves time, space, and weight.

Panasonic have just released a TZ200/ZS200 camera which is pocketable and has a big zoom range. Should be good for catching memories without the need for multiple lenses.

I usually change when something’s missing from what I’ve already got. If your current camera does the job, why change it? You will find that ‘upgrading’ will cost you and, if not careful, you could end up with an extensive armoury of bulky equipment that you use less and less. Many people are simply using the camera in their ‘phones’ and getting acceptable results that way. Perhaps you could treat yourself to one of those rather than another camera?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Beware. Once you have a good SLR or DSLR, it’s a bit like having a motorhome. There’s always something else you need to go with it. And it always costs more than you think. You’ll probably start with something like a Canon EOS with a kit lens. You’ll probably start with a reasonable mid priced one ( like you probably did with your Motorhome). Then you’ll realise that you want to do portrait work, so buy a portrait lens, and a decent flash, as the one above the lens is the wrong place for portraits. Then for watching sport, maybe you’ll want a long distance lens, and a good tripod. Then you’ll see the better range of camera, with more features and a landscape lens in the MHF Classifieds, so drive half way across the country to buy it, thinking that you’ll sell the other body. Then you decide to keep the second body, so you don’t have to change lenses so often when out birdwatching. Then you’ll realise you need photoshop to make your really good pictures even better. It’s contagious but good fun! A bit like Motorhoming.:D

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Take a look at Sony cyber shotDS-HX400V excellent camera(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
rich g

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Thanks for all your replies,plenty to think about besides my Lumix i also use my iPhone for posting on here and social media.
The camera that took my fancy Canon EOS 80 D
I have owned a Sony DLSR but couldn't get on with it.
I need to think it over as there is a lot of money to lay out once you have bought the camera thats just the start.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
This may help you @rich g .

It compares the 80D, 800D and 77D. Rumours that there will soon be an 8D

Ask yourself if you can justify the price difference for your intended use

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Perhaps a ‘left-field’ thought, but if you are keen on watching wildlife and either have, or might consider, buying a spotting scope, then an adapter to fit your iPhone to it would be much cheaper than buying a long large aperture lens for an SLR.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Someone once said “The best camera is the one you have with you”.
With that in mind my Nikon SLR has stayed in its locker in the MoHo on our last few trips and this time has been left at home.
I just use my iPhone which is always in my pocket as most pictures that I take aren’t printed but go on-line or are viewed on a screen.
When put into a blog or on social media the file size can be reduced considerably so the results look just as good.

Richard.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am often amazed at the quality of pictures I can take with my Samsung S7 phone. Much better than my digital zoom camera that cost a lot of money a few years ago. And I always have it in my pocket, and that would not be the case with most other cameras.

If you just want to take pictures to show to others when talking about your motorhome trip and to remind you of your trips then I suggest you stick with a smartphone with a decent camera. If you want to use the motorhome as a means of taking perfect pictures of whatever interests you then go for a really good camera and all the paraphernalia. But be prepared to spend a lot of money.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I have a number of cameras including Yaschica and Pentax SLRs, a Leica Dlux 3 compact and others, but the camera I use most when travelling, is a mirror-less SonyA6000. Superb camera, has really fast and accurate auto focus so great for birds and wildlife.
You can pick it up for about £385 including a good kit lens. I learned about it from a professional photographer who bought one saying he was tired of lugging heavy kit and lenses round.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I use a Canon 1D DSLR mainly with a Canon 70-200 L f2.8 is usm lens and the quality of the photos is great but it is heavy and with 3 other lenses, a multiplier adaptor, flashes (2), filters, reflectors, remote control; tripod etc. It’s a fair bit of heavy kit to carry so you really need to WANT to do it. It’s also costly so again, you really need to want to do it.

Attachments

• A8B02E71-363E-4254-A8B5-4FD6BE661921.jpeg
    A8B02E71-363E-4254-A8B5-4FD6BE661921.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 65
  • B87359AD-833C-4538-8189-EEAE2870BD3F.jpeg
    B87359AD-833C-4538-8189-EEAE2870BD3F.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 83150EE7-F11B-4739-B032-35A4FA2072D9.jpeg
    83150EE7-F11B-4739-B032-35A4FA2072D9.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 65
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
As an aside, why is it that when someone spots a UFO in the sky or the Loch Ness monster they always shout "quick Ethel, bring me my worst camera"?

OP
OP
rich g

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I use a Canon 1D DSLR mainly with a Canon 70-200 L f2.8 is usm lens and the quality of the photos is great but it is heavy and with 3 other lenses, a multiplier adaptor, flashes (2), filters, reflectors, remote control; tripod etc. It’s a fair bit of heavy kit to carry so you really need to WANT to do it. It’s also costly so again, you really need to want to do it.

Thanks for the reply

Fantastic Photos

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As an aside, why is it that when someone spots a UFO in the sky or the Loch Ness monster they always shout "quick Ethel, bring me my worst camera"?
Weird that! What also amazes me is why, when aliens deign to visit earthlings, they meet some hick in the middle of nowhere, looking for his village-never in say, Leeds or Manchester! (n)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Weird that! What also amazes me is why, when aliens deign to visit earthlings, they meet some hick in the middle of nowhere, looking for his village-never in say, Leeds or Manchester! (n)
Could it be because they know better than to go to places like that? :)

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Could it be because they know better than to go to places like that? :)
They’ve been warned “at all costs avoid the ring of fire”?

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
There is a massive difference between a good quality dslr/mirrorless camera and a compact or phone camera and that is the size of the sensor. If you are serious about photography you should always use a camera with a decent size sensor. It matters not just how many pixels Apple or Samsung manage to squeeze onto a phone camera sensor it is too small for serious photographs. If you wanted something small and light that can still take brilliant pictures you can buy an Olympus EP1 second-hand off eBay for not a lot of money if you can live without a viewfinder. They are capable of stunning photos.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
There is a massive difference between a good quality dslr/mirrorless camera and a compact or phone camera and that is the size of the sensor. If you are serious about photography you should always use a camera with a decent size sensor. It matters not just how many pixels Apple or Samsung manage to squeeze onto a phone camera sensor it is too small for serious photographs. If you wanted something small and light that can still take brilliant pictures you can buy an Olympus EP1 second-hand off eBay for not a lot of money if you can live without a viewfinder. They are capable of stunning photos.

I couldn’t see one on eBay but there are these in Amazon, first is US, second UK

Amazon product ASIN B002CGSYKS
Amazon product ASIN

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back