New Camera ?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by rich g, May 24, 2018.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,132
    My main camera is a full frame Nikon. It’s heavy, so are the lenses, but images are fantastic.
    But, but for everyday use, I bought a Nikon P900 and have to say it is superb. Not too heavy, amazing zoom and really good images.
    The only time you will get frustrated with this camera is in low light when it fails to focus, but the answer is, just use when it’s light.
    David, your going to love it as I do.
    Here’s a shot of a lizard I took a few weeks ago with the P900 at almost full zoom. Amazing really when you think the sensor is tiny.
    Image quality here is lower than the original because I had to reduce the resolution to post it here.

6CDFACE6-5B9F-413C-BC60-A26583FA15C1.jpeg

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +2,675
    To be brutally honest for a moment, it's possible to take stunning photos on any camera made in the last 5 years that cost over about £150 IF you are aware of their limitations.

If you aren't aware of your camera's limitations then there's every chance of you taking a poor image with it (This applies to phone cameras more than any other camera).
    If you don't understand what makes a good photograph then there's every chance you won't take one, regardless of how good the camera is.

I switch between 3 cameras generally (1) a Full Frame DSLR with expensive lenses (2) a long-in-the-tooth compact camera that was considered good in its day and fits in my coat pocket (3) My Samsung Galaxy S7 phone

I know the limitations of them all very well so I use them in conditions that suit them (Example - I never use the phone in very dark conditions, it's awful, but it's stunning in good light). Because I use them in conditions to which they are suited I find it hard to tell the resultant images apart (Unless the type of lens I'm using makes it obvious).
    It's possible to take awful photos on any of them, I often do in fact, usually because I tried to do something they weren't suited to (Example - Using a phone to capture a small subject in the far distance).

Poor photos are generally the result of the user. It's very rarely the camera's fault.

If I was only allowed 1 camera I'd choose a "Travel Camera" from a big manufacturer.
    It would have a minimum 24 - 200mm zoom range, it would fit in a coat pocket and it would have the biggest sensor my budget would allow. Something like a Panasonic Lumix TZ200 with a 24-360mm zoom and 1" sensor (but I can't recommend it as I never tried one).

I'm currently looking to trade one of my full-frame Canons for a Canon M50 mirrorless for video work.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Steve and Gill

Steve and Gill Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    Agree completely - there is a lot to be said for taking a little extra time to pick a good viewpoint and sort out the composition and framing.

sdg

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +8,900
    It’s getting more and more difficult to find 35mm film for my Pentax P30:D

5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,132
    Jessops still sell it............:)

6. DaveandJen

DaveandJen Funster

Ratings:
    +415
    Buying a new camera that you are not happy to walk around with due to its size or weight is a waste of money. Jen and I have been camera club members for many years and are seriously thinking about trading in our Canon 5D's for an upmarket compact now they can produce images of such good quality.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 9:38 PM
  7. Abacist

Abacist Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,340
    I got into photography because my Dad took to it seriously when he retired. This was pre-digital. He bought Leicas and I bought Canon though he could afford Leica lenses and I could only afford after-market lenses. We both got into developing and printing. I then went medium format with a Bronica 645 set up and Bronica lenses and even did a couple of weddings.

We then went digital with Dad getting Nikon and me getting Canon again but with Sigma lenses. I then upgraded to a 5 megapixel Canon and the Sigma lenses no longer worked other than at their largest aperture with no auto zoom or auto aperture adjustment. I bought some Canon lenses over time but it all sits idle most of the time in a big camera bag.

I now use my iPhone most of the time and a compact Panasonic D-Lux zoom with a Leica lens which I think is 10 megapixels from memory. That's not important because it is more than adequate. It slips easily into a pocket and takes stunning photos.

Cameras are expensive and SLR's with interchangeable lenses and flashguns are especially so and become obsolete very quickly as they are always bringing out new faster better quality models as well as being heavy to lug around. You also find that you never have the right lens on when you need it!

I really should sell my Canon SLR gear!

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Devon Sue

Devon Sue Funster

Ratings:
    +4,621
    I traded in my Canon 7D and lenses for a Sony mirrorless system. Camera body is about the size of a compact, and with 3 lenses doesn't weigh much more than Canon with 1 lens attached