New Callsign - passed Advanced Test!! (1 Viewer)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I received the long-awaited envelope with certificate today from the RSGB and was fortunate enough to pass the Advanced Radio Exam first time round - my new call sign is M0 LDU as Ofcom's website was fortunately in good working order and I was able to register right away, managing to get one of the last M0 callsigns, I guess, before they close the series and move to M5.

Next on the to-do list is the new Morse Certificate.....:roflmto::roflmto:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well done, I'm truly envious .. :thumb:

must get my foundation course done :Blush:

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Not just the Foundation, Jim, also the Intermediate and the Advanced :winky:

Chaz might enjoy starting on the Foundation as well - some little 'uns her age in recent Radcom magazines passing younger and younger :thumb:

Apparently you can do the new Morse Certificate at any time - its not attached to any of the licences nor is it essential, but I think CW and the alternative modes are really interesting - like PSK31, even RTTY perhaps if you are interested in legacy equipment and modes!!

I'm very relieved at passing the Advanced- some of the guys I spoke with tried it up to 8 times before they were successful!! And it was tricky, with quite a bit of physics / puzzling trick questions on the electronics, they don't do this anywhere NEAR as much in the Foundation, which is a nice, straightforward multiple choice intended to encourage, not destroy!. The Intermediate is also fairly straightforward. If it wasn't for the help-a-fellow-ham with lots of trial questions websites, I wouldn't have been successful first time, I'm sure. No time like the present, stop messing about with CBs and get going on the Real Deal!!!

:thumb::thumb:

Laurie

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I received the long-awaited envelope with certificate today from the RSGB and was fortunate enough to pass the Advanced Radio Exam first time round - my new call sign is M0 LDU as Ofcom's website was fortunately in good working order and I was able to register right away, managing to get one of the last M0 callsigns, I guess, before they close the series and move to M5.

Next on the to-do list is the new Morse Certificate.....:roflmto::roflmto:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Well done::bigsmile::thumb:

Re the Morse, there was a lovely story in Wales last month about an old lady who was almost completely paralysed, but she learned to talk to her son in the Morse she learned as a child.

Pensioner Sylvia Jones is almost completely paralysed - but she has learned to talk to her son by knocking out Morse code with her thumb.
The 79-year-old, from Swansea, south Wales, was facing life trapped in her own body after suffering brain damage in a domestic fall five years ago.
But thanks to her schoolgirl knowledge of Morse code, she has eloquently broken her silence using sounded dots and dashes.
Her unusual communication skills would have been overlooked if not for the caring and dedication of her son Alan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
, stop messing about with CBs and get going on the Real Deal!!!

:thumb::thumb:

Laurie

:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:... I will, I will I promise .. :thumb:

break 19 for a copy .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and get going on the Real Deal!!! Laurie

Congratulations on your success.

But, sorry to disagree, time moves on and I think you are *looking* at the real deal.

Once ham radio was about communicating where communication was not otherwise possible for Jo Public. I once had 200 yards of copper wrapped round trees on a hill, connected to a lovely valved Trio receiver and picked up USA all the time. Now here we are communicating with anywhere on the planet. Just because there's no pain involved does not lesson how wonderful it is.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Internet connections are not infallible - nor are mobile phone networks or other electronic commuication lines. Amateur radio has proved a great boon in times where the networks have crashed - disasters like 9-11, the London Tube bombs, the Boxing Day Tsunami, the wild fires in the US a year ago, recent Aussie disaster, our floods where some exchanges were totally taken out and poor mobile coverage.....the list goes on.

And there is something truly awesome and wonderful about the propagation routes, the lift-ons, the direct comms achieved from homebrewed kit that email could never, ever give. ::bigsmile:

But we're all different, as they say, vive le difference!!! :ROFLMAO:

ScotJim, no more 10-4ing and breaking etc. Its 73 de Laurie and all the Q-Codes instead!!!! STUDY the Foundation book and the CB bug will be fixed soon, I promise!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim, that's a GREAT story about CW......:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And there is something truly awesome and wonderful about the propagation routes, the lift-ons, the direct comms achieved from homebrewed kit that email could never, ever give. ::bigsmile:

:)

Oh you've got it bad, incurable I'd say.

CQ CQ CQ..........

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Congratulations !
If you have ANY musical bent at all you will find the morse easy as pie.. if like me you have cloth ears and the rythem of a tapdancing frog on LSD and speed you might have trouble !
Took me 18 months of hard graft to get up to 12wpm !

I have been toying with putting a couple of radios in the motorhome.. was in two minds but I think you have spured me on !

de G4VEL ( QTHR )

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
di-dah-dah dit di-dah-di-dit di-dah-di-dit dah-di-dit dah-dah-dah
dah-dit dit
Geo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I still have my old Marine wireless op's licence from way back in the 50's and pilots VHF from the 70's

Must admit if I call the marina up I use me mobile:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
congratulations. CW can be fun. aim for 15wpm to pass at 12wpm.
73 de Roger G0DIZ - AG4JD

R

reader

Deleted User
Well done Laurie, its a right pain waiting for the results you can now enjoy the additional benefits
de M0DWQ

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Well Done you!! ::bigsmile:

Gimmi a shout sometime :Smile:

Garrie (G8BUN)

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks for all the good wishes, never thought there were so many motorhoming radio hams!!

Hope to work you all sometime ....will be fitting a mobile unit to the van as well.

de
Laurie:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Soooo,, I am lucky in that my 1989 Ducato has nothing clever about its electronics.. So not a lot of chance of RF getting in to anything iffy ..

Are those of you who have a rig in the rig ( so to speak ) running newer MH and are you worried about stray rf if you are ?

Also, what QRG's are folk running mobile ?
might be interesting having skeds on 80 from all over the country ! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back