LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
For me its as much about convenience as anything else - and given the overall cost of this lifestyle, I feel its a cheap option.

Others have said that the locations do not enter into an exclusive deal with Britstops which is perfectly true.
Some have said this information is publically available - which is sort of true.

There is nothing to stop any individual choosing an area he might wish to stopover, perusing google maps to identify properties which might have the space... Then searching out the contact details. Finally giving the place a call.
You might get lucky at your first choice, maybe not.

Some funsters have the front to pitch up at a pub and blatantly ask if they can stop overnight if they customize the establishment.

Personally its worth the few quid to me to have someone do all that for me (and with no obligation to spend at the property).

Some join the Camping clubs, some wouldn't be seen dead on any of their sites.
Some love to wildcamp, paying no pitch fees - I'm not convinced I'd rest happy keeping in mind about all the advice about keeping your options open for a quick escape.

I'm just happy we have this myriad of options open to all of us.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
we use Britstops intermittently. In fact we're going to use it on Sunday Night when we go up north. We will chose one which is dog friendly and book a table for a meal..
Its convenient, clear and easy enough to pick a location on the hoof.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The ones that we used previously to buying a book were free listings from one of the magazines, can't remember which one but it's called nightstop and doesn't require membership.
Others I can remember off hand are the Toby pubs chain, they let you stay over if eating.
Generally if we are visiting friends and can't stay at their house, we ask them if any eating pubs close by and if they know of any give them a call and ask about staying in car park, never been asked for memberships.
I think Britstops is a great idea, handy having the guide to look up places, but I'm now surprised to find out although buying membership, no checking is enforced.
If it was an enforced check, you need the sticker to stay, there would be no difference to us all sharing the information same as people recommend CC sites or ACSI or c&cc inc their cl's etc, you share the information, if the person wants to then use based on personal recommendation they need to purchase membership. This is where I now see Bristops fall down, it seems they don't insist on membership checking by the establishments they list, so prefer nothing is shared.
Maybe this is a legal point they can't insist on, who knows, seems a little odd though.
If it was my business would put in place a robust membership card, insist it's verified, then happily allow others to sing the praises of the spots safe in the knowledge if you like what you hear see, you have to join up, thus generating more membership.

Lin :)
That's never going to happen though is it, pubs aren't going to sign up to an exclusive Britstops thing where they can't allow none members, where they might get one Britstops a month but half a dozen non members asking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Having joined France passion some years ago, I totally accepted the principle of Brit Stops. Although I've been a subscriber for 3 years, it was only last year that I took advantage. Life gets in the way. Wed been to London for 4 nights and wanted to meander slowly back home. The first place had never had Brit Stops members before and it was our first stay. They had turned away other Mohos but accepted us. They were extremely pleasant and it was a pub. We did sample their fare and it was fantastic. At around £20.00 it was no dearer than a campsite and more pleasant surroundings. Next stop was a vineyard. They also checked our sticker. We were nestled in the vineyard. As it was a lovely evening we were more than happy to try a bottle of their own Rosé. OK, again around £20.00. It certainly matched the good rosés we've had before and a lovely little village to wander round. Next was another pub (this one supplied electric if required at £5.00) As we were Brit Stops members, no charge except for electric if we wanted it and full access to their leisure centre etc. Just a half pint each at this stop.
It's not a matter of being a cheap way of camping but it's as cheap as wild camping and IF you want to use their products, that's your choice. It's your decision how you spend the money. All in all, we have no doubt that we got tremendous value as we decided whether to spend money or not.
The cost of Brit Stops is cheaper than the clubs and certainly pays for itself. I was a member of C & CC and never used their sites so I've saved anyway by being a regular subscriber to Brit Stops. I'd rather every host would check your validity to stay there through Brit Stops as France Passion has.
It's your choice to wild camp or sites or Brit Stops in this country. I'm well aware there are places I can stay foc but the concept of FP and BS (not to be confused with bull shit) is brilliant and long may it continue.
Why do people try to skirt around by getting it for nothing? You pay for MHF (either one) or sites.
I appreciate you could use for years as in All the Aires but that is an entirely different concept.

Deleted User
That's never going to happen though is it, pubs aren't going to sign up to an exclusive Britstops thing where they can't allow none members, where they might get one Britstops a month but half a dozen non members asking.
No I agree it wont. Which makes it perfectly acceptable to share information about any and all places including Britstops.
It's a useful directory, but it's expensive and out of date as soon as published.
I seem to recall every month we received an email with lots of changes, removals and new additions. For the price it should include access to an up to date online facility. Unless it moves with the times eventually without control over checking of membership all that the guide contains will be common knowledge available in better formats.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
No I agree it wont. Which makes it perfectly acceptable to share information about any and all places including Britstops.
It's a useful directory, but it's expensive and out of date as soon as published.
I seem to recall every month we received an email with lots of changes, removals and new additions. For the price it should include access to an up to date online facility. Unless it moves with the times eventually
without control over checking of membership all that the guide contains will be common knowledge available in better formats.

A news paper is out of date as soon as it published and in fact, some are outdated whilst being published and that's every day. Not one map is not out of date by publication. All we can ever hope for is latest information. If you don't want to pay to use Brit Stops, that's fine. There are alternatives.
The clubs information is out of date as soon as its published and they don't update you monthly as Brit Stops do.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I seem to recall every month we received an email with lots of changes, removals and new additions. For the price it should include access to an up to date online facility. Unless it moves with the times eventually without control over checking of membership all that the guide contains will be common knowledge available in better formats.

Don't know what happened to my previous comment but basically it agrees that its out of date as soon as its published. So are maps, site books and so are newspapers. It's a fact of life that we live in a world where time moves on, in fact, albeit at this very moment, this is bang up to date, as soon as I press the post reply button , its out of date but at the time of writing it is up to date. Time moves on, life goes on and things become out of date within moments. The current score , at this precise moment, is England 0 Russia 0 but it could change by the time I press the post reply button

Deleted User
That's why I don't buy newspapers, I check online.
Yes they do update once a month via email, but who wants to then trawl through the book adding info & deleting cancelled ones, or keeping a stack of emails, to wade back through.
Online can be updated in an instant not once a month and would have a search facility.
It's up to them how they run it, but I wouldn't buy it again in it's current format or price.
I would imagine a lot of the costs are publishing costs, online would be cheaper, and as it the UK every man & his dog can get online.
I'm sure there will be changes in the future, maybe even a kindle addition who knows :D

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Very good ideas especially the Kindle type but I have absolutely no problem in paying for a service that I may or may not use as I choose. I'm a member of the AA and I use Brit Stops more and they're hellova lot cheaper every year than the AA. I hate paying road tax so I bought a car that is tax free. Maybe its me but if you object about the yearly cost of an item, then change to something you like. Don't agree with the court of Brit Stops, use campsites or wild camp. I don't like the cost of C & CC so I'm not able to use their sites.
Bovvered? Am I bovvered though?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
That's why I don't buy newspapers, I check online.
Yes they do update once a month via email, but who wants to then trawl through the book adding info & deleting cancelled ones, or keeping a stack of emails, to wade back through.
Online can be updated in an instant not once a month and would have a search facility.
It's up to them how they run it, but I wouldn't buy it again in it's current format or price.
I would imagine a lot of the costs are publishing costs, online would be cheaper, and as it the UK every man & his dog can get online.
I'm sure there will be changes in the future, maybe even a kindle addition who knows :D

Not everyone can get on line on demand so have to rely on other forms of media. You pays your money and takes your chance

Deleted User
Not everyone can get on line on demand so have to rely on other forms of media. You pays your money and takes your chance
Yes you do only only the individual can decide if the value is worth it to them.
For me no it isn't, it old fashioned and outdated, and more importantly the same information is available in a format that works more effectively, tried it, but I can get online 247 in the UK so prefer up to date relevant info, abroad not so much :)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I like Brit Stops. Only need to use it for three or four nights and you have had (more than) your money's worth. No way can it be called expensive. With regard to the monthly updates - we only update those that we are likely to use this year, having a fair idea of where we plan to go on our various trips, the rest will be updated when we next buy the book, next year. Not all Brit Stops are pubs, although it is true to say that the majority are.

Dave

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes you do only only the individual can decide if the value is worth it to them.
For me no it isn't, it old fashioned and outdated, and more importantly the same information is available in a format that works more effectively, tried it, but I can get online 247 in the UK so prefer up to date relevant info, abroad not so much :)
Yep!!!! Absolutely agree, so stay on those who don't ask for your sticker or stay elsewhere. Personally I think its very very good value, certainly better than my road tax that I certainly cannot avoid. Yes, I agree, stay wherever you can especially if free or unchecked but if you continually brag about it, don't be surprised if you turn up at one someday and they refuse free access because you're not a current contributor. A friend of mine just up the road uses them virtually every weekend and stayed 63 nights free in 12 months so working out at 0.43 per night or after 3 nights a site cost then 60 nights free. Is it that you wild camp or use campsites? 6 gallons of diesel costs more . Its still £10.00 cheaper than membership of C &CC so actually, I'm a tenner better off.
I like Brit Stops. Only need to use it for three or four nights and you have had (more than) your money's worth. No way can it be called expensive. With regard to the monthly updates - we only update those that we are likely to use this year, having a fair idea of where we plan to go on our various trips, the rest will be updated when we next buy the book, next year. Not all Brit Stops are pubs, although it is true to say that the majority are.

Dave
In total agreement. Most are pubs but there are farms, ice cream makers and the vineyard (along with other vineyards) where we had an extremely good quality English Rosé

Deleted User
Yep!!!! Absolutely agree, so stay on those who don't ask for your sticker or stay elsewhere. Personally I think its very very good value, certainly better than my road tax that I certainly cannot avoid. Yes, I agree, stay wherever you can especially if free or unchecked but if you continually brag about it, don't be surprised if you turn up at one someday and they refuse free access because you're not a current contributor. A friend of mine just up the road uses them virtually every weekend and stayed 63 nights free in 12 months so working out at 0.43 per night or after 3 nights a site cost then 60 nights free. Is it that you wild camp or use campsites? 6 gallons of diesel costs more . Its still £10.00 cheaper than membership of C &CC so actually, I'm a tenner better off.

In total agreement. Most are pubs but there are farms, ice cream makers and the vineyard (along with other vineyards) where we had an extremely good quality English Rosé
Um, right is your rant over? I have never actually ever stayed at a Britstop.
Bought the book once never used it, did however notice that it lists several places that I had previously used under the nightstop scheme, under that scheme you either pay a nightly fee, or if you eat n the pub the fee is wavered, so none were free, why should they be, I prefer to pay.
Those who prefer to pay once for a book then have free camping, great for them, winner is the person collecting the book fee, not the establishment as their way clearly states no obligation to spend.
Some might even buy the book and also spend money at the establishment, then they both benefit, great, bet the establishment are relieved.
Having tried the product, not for me, it's a fee for a directory, the information is available elsewhere, if it's sourced from elsewhere, it can be shared, if it's shared, the actual pub, shop etc benefit, I prefer that each to their own.

:D

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Um, right is your rant over? I have never actually ever stayed at a Britstop.
Bought the book once never used it, did however notice that it lists several places that I had previously used under the nightstop scheme, under that scheme you either pay a nightly fee, or if you eat n the pub the fee is wavered, so none were free, why should they be, I prefer to pay.
Those who prefer to pay once for a book then have free camping, great for them, winner is the person collecting the book fee, not the establishment as their way clearly states no obligation to spend.
Some might even buy the book and also spend money at the establishment, then they both benefit, great, bet the establishment are relieved.
Having tried the product, not for me, it's a fee for a directory, the information is available elsewhere, if it's sourced from elsewhere, it can be shared, if it's shared, the actual pub, shop etc benefit, I prefer that each to their own.

Did that come over as a rant? On my 'giveabuggerometer' it's struggling to get above -3.
In all fairness, your last post is self destroying and therefore doesn't require or warrant a reply.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't mind paying.... don't know that many that "prefer" to pay though.
:reel:

We always eat at a britstop (so long as dogs are allowed).. don't recall any of the staff being relieved tbh.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Bought the book once never used it, did however notice that it lists several places that I had previously used under the nightstop scheme, under that scheme you either pay a nightly fee, or if you eat n the pub the fee is wavered,
In a nutshell that is the difference between the Nightstop scheme & Britstop.
Nightstops pay the equivalent of a cl/cs site fee (waived if you have a meal) or Britstop where its free with no obligations to use the retailer.
But of course its absolutely stupid the buy a book if you have no use for what it offers.
Be like buying tins of dog food if you don't have a dog!

What I don't understand is what comes across as almost anti-religious fervour by those who don't get, don't like, don't want & don't use this particular "service".
I find Britstop to be convenient & useful.
It suits me & not only saves me money but adds enjoyment to my MH experience - what's not to like?

Deleted User
In a nutshell that is the difference between the Nightstop scheme & Britstop.
Nightstops pay the equivalent of a cl/cs site fee (waived if you have a meal) or Britstop where its free with no obligations to use the retailer.
But of course its absolutely stupid the buy a book if you have no use for what it offers.
Be like buying tins of dog food if you don't have a dog!

What I don't understand is what comes across as almost anti-religious fervour by those who don't get, don't like, don't want & don't use this particular "service".
I find Britstop to be convenient & useful.
It suits me & not only saves me money but adds enjoyment to my MH experience - what's not to like?
When I bought the book based on the hype, I was of the understanding it was a membership, to use any of their stops your membership would be checked.
It seems that it isn't.
I always try to spend money anywhere that we stay. When using Aires abroad, I like to support the local economy, I like that I contribute. I expected Britstops to be a similar thing, and would always intend to buy something especially at a pub :) even though they stressed the no purchase obligation, that wouldn't sit well with me.
After purchase found there were no locations where we were going to be ( locations cant be checked prior to purchase)
As we tend to pick a place we want to visit 1st, then look for options on places to stay we had no hits with the book and never used it. I did notice when reading it some stops that are available via other sources.
Later via various threads realised membership is often not checked, seems odd to me all other membership I have are, and require a card to use.
So to me I wouldn't buy again, I'm not comfortable with the idea the book people get the money and the establishments signed up could end up with nothing.
Of course many like me would spend, but the big push is no obligation.
I would prefer to use other means including ringing myself along the lines of would love to visit your pub, would we be able to stay over in our MH after eating?
The establishment are getting my business, I like that, I think they like it, especially the times when I also meet up with friends or family, they get custom they wouldn't otherwise get, I tell my friends if the food was good etc, my friends think hey great I didn't know about that place, didn't realise what great food they did. They pop along have a great time, tell more people. I like this idea, I like to support my local community as well as those communities I visit
We're all adults, make up your own minds, my opinion is based on fact that I have been there bought it, not hearsay.
I'm not telling anyone not to buy it, it's a useful tool for some.
Just not me & my travelling crew. I don't like the part especially that the 1st rule of BSC is don't tell anyone where they are, sing the praises of the establishments but make sure nobody finds out where they are until they buy the book.
I haven't broken the rule, maybe some do. But I don't like the rule. I often wonder if the establishments are aware of it, are they told not to advertise it and that nobody else can either. Duno perhaps they are.

Edit of course if the membership sticker was enforced have to have it, would be the same as ACSI, CC, C&Cc, everyone could discuss the places sing their praises and pass on the information including location to other because if you liked what you hear and wanted to go all you gotta do is buy the book, same as when we all pass on info about campsites you need the current card, Cc & C&cc you need to join to access them. They all allow us to share info because they realise it generates membership.

Last edited by a moderator:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone,

Well there's plenty to read there! Thanks to @Baycott for the heads up about the thread.

I'll try to cover a couple of points, but much of what I'd say has already been said by others (@CWH, @Langtoftlad and @GJH among others - thanks for that). (y)

Graham is spot on about copyright, and I can't remember if he mentioned copyright in data base, which is part of the same law on copyright. It basically means if you can demonstrate that you have spent time and effort on building a particular database (like Graham's and ours) then you have the same rights to the database under copyright law. This applies not just to the whole of that database, but also a part thereof and repeated extractions of insubstantial parts. Like Graham, if we notice anyone is publishing lists taken from our book we'll send a pleasant letter/email etc to remind them about our copyright. We'd rather not line the pockets of IP lawyers, but at the end of the day we've spent far too much time (6 years now) and effort on recruiting our hosts, building relationships with the hosts and managing the data to sit back and watch someone else simply steal it.

Graham's also correct about some of the online lists. We have had more than a few requests from pubs to remove them from our scheme as they are fed up with motorhomers turning up expecting a free stopover, when in fact they have never featured in Brit Stops. It turns out they are listed on one of the online sites. We have even seen a complaint about a "Brit Stop" online only to find out after a bit of research that it was a Brit Stop some years ago, but still appears on an online list as a Brit Stop. The only way you can be sure any place is a current Brit Stops host is to have the current book.

As for whether or not it's worth it. That's always got to be a personal choice. CC or C&CC? Or MCC? Aires or ACSI? Or wildcamping? All have their merits and some will favour one or more over the other options. We're just there in the mix. If Brit Stops is not for you, no worries. We won't be offended. One thing we know is we're not going to please everyone. As I've pointed out before, we use camp sites, aires and have occasionally wild camped. Tried ACSI one year but stupidly bought it then went away in August... :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's more I've missed, but I'm getting back to contacting more pubs and farm shops, etc. now.

Happy travels everyone, however you stop at the end of the day!

Steve :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have the book and are signed up to the auto renew option which saves a little bit.

We don't get to use them as much as we'd like but never mind.

Personally I like having the book and see no need at all for an app. The amount of money it would cost to develop a professional looking multi platform app that's secure and would keep the database only available to subscribers would be substantial and I'd imagine prohibitive.

The other reason, in my opinion, not to share the details of any particular favourites with the freeloaders is that I'd be quite pissed off if I arrived somewhere and found there was no space for me because it was full of people who want to take advantage of someone else's work and just park for free without contributing to the scheme.

The system of just using the book numbers in any review works very well because it allows you to share a good location with other subscribers without making the details openly public and available for the freeloaders to find and ruin.

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I use the book. Have no complaints about the stops used so far and am more than happy to pay the fee. A phone app would be good, providing you have signal, but I like having the book. A searchable directory on the web site could be an asset.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If I found a great location and was asked about it, I would happily share that information to anyone. If the great location was found using my britstop book, not withstanding the requests of the owners, I wouldn't share that place by name, but would share via number so that other britstoppers could use it. I recently stayed at a place by the canal and was joined by another britstopper and we used our books to exchange places to stay or avoid. Another MH turned up because they had been told about it and then invited friends along which then filled up the remaining places.

Deleted User
I ha
Hi everyone,

Well there's plenty to read there! Thanks to @Baycott for the heads up about the thread.

I'll try to cover a couple of points, but much of what I'd say has already been said by others (@CWH, @Langtoftlad and @GJH among others - thanks for that). (y)

Graham is spot on about copyright, and I can't remember if he mentioned copyright in data base, which is part of the same law on copyright. It basically means if you can demonstrate that you have spent time and effort on building a particular database (like Graham's and ours) then you have the same rights to the database under copyright law. This applies not just to the whole of that database, but also a part thereof and repeated extractions of insubstantial parts. Like Graham, if we notice anyone is publishing lists taken from our book we'll send a pleasant letter/email etc to remind them about our copyright. We'd rather not line the pockets of IP lawyers, but at the end of the day we've spent far too much time (6 years now) and effort on recruiting our hosts, building relationships with the hosts and managing the data to sit back and watch someone else simply steal it.

Graham's also correct about some of the online lists. We have had more than a few requests from pubs to remove them from our scheme as they are fed up with motorhomers turning up expecting a free stopover, when in fact they have never featured in Brit Stops. It turns out they are listed on one of the online sites. We have even seen a complaint about a "Brit Stop" online only to find out after a bit of research that it was a Brit Stop some years ago, but still appears on an online list as a Brit Stop. The only way you can be sure any place is a current Brit Stops host is to have the current book.

As for whether or not it's worth it. That's always got to be a personal choice. CC or C&CC? Or MCC? Aires or ACSI? Or wildcamping? All have their merits and some will favour one or more over the other options. We're just there in the mix. If Brit Stops is not for you, no worries. We won't be offended. One thing we know is we're not going to please everyone. As I've pointed out before, we use camp sites, aires and have occasionally wild camped. Tried ACSI one year but stupidly bought it then went away in August... :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's more I've missed, but I'm getting back to contacting more pubs and farm shops, etc. now.

Happy travels everyone, however you stop at the end of the day!

Steve :)
I have couple questions.
Why is it not enforced that the membership & or sticker is checked?
Isn't it unfair that the establishments cant have happy customer spread the word?
If the membership part was robust and enforced, surely it then would work like CC, ACSI c&cc information can be given out, because if you like what you hear you then have to buy the book/membership.
Then both yourselves and the establishments gain.

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
We use the britstops guide (amongst other resources) and agree that the "paper based" format may be a little out dated in terms of updates and bulk of the book. It is still a fantastic resource and has saved us loads of money over the last 12 months. It also really helps in planning, in advance.
As we are anti conventional campsites, it is invaluable to us. But then so is Keith's Pub Stops site and wild camping.co uk.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I ha
I have couple questions.
Why is it not enforced that the membership & or sticker is checked?
Isn't it unfair that the establishments cant have happy customer spread the word?
If the membership part was robust and enforced, surely it then would work like CC, ACSI c&cc information can be given out, because if you like what you hear you then have to buy the book/membership.
Then both yourselves and the establishments gain.

Clutching at straws comes to mind.
Not everyone with a motorhome is in the financial position of paying out hard cash if they fancy a night or two away in an area they want to visit. Of course, besides paying for the motorhome, it's upkeep, consumables including diesel, gas etc some have to be very considerate about what they pay out. After all, why pay £25.00 + for a bit of grass or possibly concrete. I've been to sites and they have, IN MY OPINION, extortionate. You whinge about the sticker not being checked yet there are posts on here where people have asked for suggested sites and replies have coke back that they are a CC site but they never ask for the membership card. When I was a member of one of the clubs, I stayed without being asked for my card, so what's the difference?
You also whine about the establishment not getting any money if the camper decides not to use that establishment. OK, so what happens if its a pub, not a restaurant or a vineyard and the campers are tee total? I suppose you'd expect them to buy alcohol and throw it away?
You have entirely missed the concept behind Brit Stops. If you stay at a location, you can still spend money locally at all the shops. I'm sure you'll be the talk of the village saying, those motor homers spent £3.26 in my shop and I wouldn't have got that if Fred at the pub hadn't allowed them to stop overnight. Balderdash!!!!!
You are known as passing trade whether you buy a bag of chips, a newspaper or a gourmet meal.
If you would rather give your money to an establishment, then use the establishments that charge for staying but don't complain at a system that Steve has worked very hard at building up that thousands are enjoying.
As regards not seeing the sites before you buy.......I don't know CC sites, C&CC sites. I've never stayed on a C/L or a C/S but I have been a member of the C &CC intermittently for 50 years (Originally the Camping Club of Great Britain and the BCC when I was a tugger). They don't let you see and examine their books before you buy, do they?
Basically it appears you object at people getting something for nothing yet what comes over is that you feel you've been ripped off because you bought the book and it didn't have places in the areas you wanted. So what? That's life. There are many things in life we pay money for then find out later that you wish you hadn't. It happens, get over it. That's life but don't knock a product because it doesn't suit you personally. You're just sore that you paid out and didn't get any return. I've bought Brit Stops for 3 years and it was only last year that I had the opportunity to use it particularly in a part of the country we were close to and my wife had never been to. As we'd been to London for 4 days (on a site that is listed in C & CC but not exclusive membership and £15.00 a night including electric) and travelled in and out for shows, shopping, theatre etc, it had been pretty expensive. Using Brit Stops, I was able to use 3 different establishments in the east. At the first, we bought a meal. The second we bought English Rosé and at the 3rd, just half a lager and a Coke. Had I had to pay something like £60.00 on top of this then I might not have ventured into the area.
Its all about personal choice. OK, you think you've been ripped off, conned or diddled but I bet you've bought things before and considered them not good value at a later date.
Put your efforts into stamping your feet at something worthwhile as opposed to something that brings lots of joy and adventure to thousands.

Deleted User
Clutching at straws comes to mind.
Not everyone with a motorhome is in the financial position of paying out hard cash if they fancy a night or two away in an area they want to visit. Of course, besides paying for the motorhome, it's upkeep, consumables including diesel, gas etc some have to be very considerate about what they pay out. After all, why pay £25.00 + for a bit of grass or possibly concrete. I've been to sites and they have, IN MY OPINION, extortionate. You whinge about the sticker not being checked yet there are posts on here where people have asked for suggested sites and replies have coke back that they are a CC site but they never ask for the membership card. When I was a member of one of the clubs, I stayed without being asked for my card, so what's the difference?
You also whine about the establishment not getting any money if the camper decides not to use that establishment. OK, so what happens if its a pub, not a restaurant or a vineyard and the campers are tee total? I suppose you'd expect them to buy alcohol and throw it away?
You have entirely missed the concept behind Brit Stops. If you stay at a location, you can still spend money locally at all the shops. I'm sure you'll be the talk of the village saying, those motor homers spent £3.26 in my shop and I wouldn't have got that if Fred at the pub hadn't allowed them to stop overnight. Balderdash!!!!!
You are known as passing trade whether you buy a bag of chips, a newspaper or a gourmet meal.
If you would rather give your money to an establishment, then use the establishments that charge for staying but don't complain at a system that Steve has worked very hard at building up that thousands are enjoying.
As regards not seeing the sites before you buy.......I don't know CC sites, C&CC sites. I've never stayed on a C/L or a C/S but I have been a member of the C &CC intermittently for 50 years (Originally the Camping Club of Great Britain and the BCC when I was a tugger). They don't let you see and examine their books before you buy, do they?
Basically it appears you object at people getting something for nothing yet what comes over is that you feel you've been ripped off because you bought the book and it didn't have places in the areas you wanted. So what? That's life. There are many things in life we pay money for then find out later that you wish you hadn't. It happens, get over it. That's life but don't knock a product because it doesn't suit you personally. You're just sore that you paid out and didn't get any return. I've bought Brit Stops for 3 years and it was only last year that I had the opportunity to use it particularly in a part of the country we were close to and my wife had never been to. As we'd been to London for 4 days (on a site that is listed in C & CC but not exclusive membership and £15.00 a night including electric) and travelled in and out for shows, shopping, theatre etc, it had been pretty expensive. Using Brit Stops, I was able to use 3 different establishments in the east. At the first, we bought a meal. The second we bought English Rosé and at the 3rd, just half a lager and a Coke. Had I had to pay something like £60.00 on top of this then I might not have ventured into the area.
Its all about personal choice. OK, you think you've been ripped off, conned or diddled but I bet you've bought things before and considered them not good value at a later date.
Put your efforts into stamping your feet at something worthwhile as opposed to something that brings lots of joy and adventure to thousands.
Sorry my question was for Britstops, hence why I said I have a couple of questions.

Have a great evening, sorry I didn't read your post fully, because quite frankly your attitude stinks, you seem to think others opinions don't matter and it's your way or no way, I only raised questions in a considered educated friendly way, and always point out it's my personal opinion, and have no problem with others having differing ones.

:):):):):)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Sorry my question was for Britstops, hence why I said I have a couple of questions.

Have a great evening, sorry I didn't read your post fully, because quite frankly your attitude stinks, you seem to think others opinions don't matter and it's your way or no way, I only raised questions in a considered educated friendly way, and always point out it's my personal opinion, and have no problem with others having differing ones.

:):):):):)
My attitude stinks?
Ha, before you judge me make sure you are perfect.
My attitude stinks?
Watch me pretend to care.
My attitude stinks?
I am responsible for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand.
My attitude stinks?
That's just one of the many services I offer.
I think it would be worth your while to read YOUR posts and replies and just see who's attitude stinks. You really are living on a different planet. Read, well read and understand the replies said to you about this moronic post and consider how much whinging you've done and how much slagging off you've done about a product that thousands of members not just on this forum but other forums, enjoy the freedom of choice how they spend their money instead of giving £25.00+ for a piece of grass, concrete etc to an establishment that profiteers out of campers.
Yes it is MY opinion that Brit Stops is a very good system. I totally accept you think its not, in YOUR opinion. I respect your opinion and I'll definitely use Brit Stops more now knowing that you'll not be there because......well leave it there. Just read!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back