NEW BRITSTOP (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted User
Excuse my being mardy but I wonder how many Searchforsite members realise that the site uses data stolen from legitimate businesses?

Not a basis for building a sustainable ethical website

Interesting reading:

I see no objection to using information that is publicly available, this site provides details of France Passion, ACSI etc where the sites or discounts are only available to paid up members of the scheme. Surely this is advantageous to those schemes as it would encourage more people to join. I do not know if this same argument applies to Britstops as i do not know for certain that all Britstop sites require visitors to be members of that scheme, as France Passion and ACSI,or whether some are available to all.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Interesting reading:

I see no objection to using information that is publicly available, this site provides details of France Passion, ACSI etc where the sites or discounts are only available to paid up members of the scheme. Surely this is advantageous to those schemes as it would encourage more people to join. I do not know if this same argument applies to Britstops as i do not know for certain that all Britstop sites require visitors to be members of that scheme, as France Passion and ACSI,or whether some are available to all.
The list of France Passion hosts is not publicly available though
It's only available to paid members

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We bought the Brit Stops book once, but ended up not using any of the sites - mainly because they were very thin on the ground in the geographical area we were interested in. I know that a lot of people are very keen on Brit Stops, but I wouldn't subscribe again, for various reasons.

Firstly, I believe that the information, in various forms, is available elsewhere for free, as per posts by @chaser and @Jagtazman .

I too, follow a facebook group where members provide (free) information about Pub stopovers, all over the country. From following the group, I have the impression that it's unusual for landlords to turn down requests for stop overs. I imagine that they expect the quid pro quo of money being spent in the pub, but there's no way that I would feel comfortable parking overnight without spending, whether through Brit stops or otherwise.

The second reason why Brit stops doesn't appeal to me, is the format. I appreciate that others like to have the book, but I'm firmly in the app camp. We find the campercontact app convenient and easy to use, and we like to read the reviews by others who have used the stops.

I'm not trying to persuade or convince anyone else. We'll all use the formats and resources which suit our needs. Brit stops just doesn't suit ours.

Deleted User
The list of France Passion hosts is not publicly available though
It's only available to paid members

So in effect France Passion is getting free advertising, if I looked on searchforsites and saw a France Passion site that interested me then the only way I could visit that site would be to join .

Deleted User
They don't!!!!!

So all Britstops is doing is compiling a list of publicly available information and publishing it. I am not saying this is not a worthwhile endeavour or that they should not charge for the guide but i do not see that they have the right to stop others sharing that information.

I have no idea where there information came from but I very much doubt that they have visited every location in the guide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
M
So all Britstops is doing is compiling a list of publicly available information and publishing it. I am not saying this is not a worthwhile endeavour or that they should not charge for the guide but i do not see that they have the right to stop others sharing that information.

I have no idea where there information came from but I very much doubt that they have visited every location in the guide.
while agreeing with everything you say , I think in fact that Steve has visited everyone in the book:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am not in it this year and have only been in it once in 2013, but my son is and we have borrowed his book a time or two , but never been asked for it, or indeed we went to one place and said we were in Britstops and the staff had no idea what I was talking about but said yeah fine to stay anyway(n):)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So all Britstops is doing is compiling a list of publicly available information and publishing it
Like France Passion, Britstops builds a network of hosts by contacting / visiting / calling. They then collate and publish this database of hosts in a book (which must cost thousands every year in printing costs alone). The book not only contains the hosts contact info, but details of opening times, services offered (water, electricity, dump etc)

I agree that the host address is no doubt available in the public domain, however contacting and compiling a list of hosts prepared to accept Motorhomes takes time, effort and money.

I'm all for sharing info but using this database without permission is theft.

Deleted User
Like France Passion, Britstops builds a network of hosts by contacting / visiting / calling. They then collate and publish this database of hosts in a book (which must cost thousands every year in printing costs alone). The book not only contains the hosts contact info, but details of opening times, services offered (water, electricity, dump etc)

I agree that the host address is no doubt available in the public domain, however contacting and compiling a list of hosts prepared to accept Motorhomes takes time, effort and money.

So if I post on here and ask for a pub stopover near to xxxx and you know of one, would you check if it was in Britstops first and not pass on the information if it was? Even if you knew of the stop before buying the Britstops guide.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

Spot on.. absolutely agree.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm amazed at the amount of aggression at times displayed in this thread towards the mere existence of an optional resource put together by motorhomers for the convenience of other motorhomers.
If you don't want to use it, don't; but please don't spoil it for those of us who do.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So if I post on here and ask for a pub stopover near to xxxx and you know of one, would you check if it was in Britstops first and not pass on the information if it was? Even if you knew of the stop before buying the Britstops guide.
I wouldn't bother telling you tbh.. I'd suggest getting a britstops book as it's a great place to find pub stopovers. That's why the britstops group refers by number not adddress

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Personally I wouldn't have a problem sharing the name of a local pub, wild camping spot or friendly farmer with you.

However stealing a businesses database and uploading it wholesale into your website is a different matter altogether.

Deleted User
I'm amazed at the amount of aggression at times displayed in this thread towards the mere existence of an optional resource put together by motorhomers for the convenience of other motorhomers.
If you don't want to use it, don't; but please don't spoil it for those of us who do.
Aggression?

There is absolutely no aggression from me,if you want to pay for a guide and use then carry on, absolutely nothing to do with me and I have no issues with anyone that does or the publishers.

How exactly is trying to fathom out how Britstops operates spoiling it for others.

Deleted User
I wouldn't bother telling you tbh.. I'd suggest getting a britstops book as it's a great place to find pub stopovers. That's why the britstops group refers by number not adddress

I frequently reply to posts asking for information on places to visit, sites etc in France, Spain & Portugal because I have a fair knowledge of these places compiled over the years from various sources, some of which I actually had to spend my hard earned cash on. I thought that was that a FUN forum was all about, perhaps I was wrong.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Deleted User
It was my understanding that it the membership sticker that is th important part.
We had the book last year, but didn't get chance to use.
We did use some stops from one of the magazines though, prior to buying Britstop book & stickers and I noticed some were in the Britstop book as well.
It would seem some venues are signed up to more than one scheme, the ones we used had the option to either park for free & purchase something, or pay £5 no obligation to buy anything.
I had until now assumed that if they also are part of Britstop and you said this they would check you had the current years sticker in your van and the 3rd option stay for free, no obligation to buy kicked in.
I guess is doesn't if no stickers are being checked.
Seems a little odd now, when we use ACSI we require an in date card which has your name on it matched to your passport, so there is a check. Often the campsite rate is cheaper off ACSI, so we weigh it up and pick the best option.
If Britstop enforce the verification of a valid sticker then if you are a member you can stay under britstop terms if you don't have current membership and the stop is also part of another scheme you pick that option.
I'm starting to see the fault would seem to be that Britstops don't enforce the stops checking for membership and the stops are not mutually exclusive to them either.
Wont give any examples that might cause controversy other than Canterbury P&R as that is common knowledge without the book.
Edit I suppose what I mean in effect is as others have said, it does seem odd you cannot tell others about a particular spot, if they are only used by Britstop and you like the locations, you then purchase the book to get the sticker which without you can't use the stop.

Lin :)

Last edited by a moderator:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Aggression?

There is absolutely no aggression from me,if you want to pay for a guide and use then carry on, absolutely nothing to do with me and I have no issues with anyone that does or the publishers.

How exactly is trying to fathom out how Britstops operates spoiling it for others.
Well, I wasn't specifically referring to your posts, but if it helps, I'll retract that word and apologise.
I'm not being sarcastic here - have you read through their website? - it would help to understand their process and ethos.

Deleted User
Well, I wasn't specifically referring to your posts, but if it helps, I'll retract that word and apologise.
I'm not being sarcastic here - have you read through their website? - it would help to understand their process and ethos.

As I have said before I am not in the UK much and when I am I do not do much touring so paying £30.50 for a guide that I will more than likely only use once is a wast of money, it would be cheaper to stop on a site.

My specific requirements this forthcoming trip are for a one night stop near to Dave Newells premises where I can hopefully get something to eat and will cater for arrivals up to 9PM.

I am aware there is a campsite nearby, the cost is £18.50 which is not exorbitant but i will be arriving late and can manage without using facilities if need be so £18.50 to park is quite a lot, I can stop on the motorway services for less and may well do so thus depriving a local pub/restaurant of some trade.

It seems that information contained in the Britstops guide is sacrosant...so be it, I shall look elsewhere and as someone else kindly pointed out, doing my own research is not that difficult:)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@matamoros , According to the facebook group, the Cuckoo Oak in Tweedale will let you stay - very convenient for Dave Newell's. Alternatively, if you want somewhere a bit more picturesque, there is the Huntsman in Little Wenlock, which has hook ups.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As I said before get searchforsites.co.uk up put in your destination and you will get a full selection of Britstops, wild camping, campsites , the lot for free(y):)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As I have said before I am not in the UK much and when I am I do not do much touring so paying £30.50 for a guide that I will more than likely only use once is a wast of money, it would be cheaper to stop on a site.

My specific requirements this forthcoming trip are for a one night stop near to Dave Newells premises where I can hopefully get something to eat and will cater for arrivals up to 9PM.

I am aware there is a campsite nearby, the cost is £18.50 which is not exorbitant but i will be arriving late and can manage without using facilities if need be so £18.50 to park is quite a lot, I can stop on the motorway services for less and may well do so thus depriving a local pub/restaurant of some trade.

It seems that information contained in the Britstops guide is sacrosant...so be it, I shall look elsewhere and as someone else kindly pointed out, doing my own research is not that difficult:)
If you PM me the postcode of where you're looking to stay I'll check out what's available locally

Deleted User
If you PM me the postcode of where you're looking to stay I'll check out what's available locally

Thanks very much for the offer but I have found a few likely places and will ring to check nearer the time.

I apologise to all if my posts on this thread have seemed contentious or 'aggressive', that was not my intention:)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It would seem some venues are signed up to more than one scheme
There are a number of different lists on the Internet. Some come from research by their publishers and some are based on information sent in but their accuracy is not guaranteed.

Camper contact has been mentioned in previous posts but it lists car parks as suitable for overnighting which, officially, could easily result in a ticket. The car park in Saltburn, for instance, is an LA car park where daytime parking of motorhomes isn't even allowed officially, never mind overnighting. The other three locations in Redcar/Saltburn are questionable and, at best, tolerated. The same is the case with Search for Sites (which lists two of those four places).

The only researched list of stopovers (apart from the club lists of CLs/CSs) which have an official exemption (no site licence required) is Andy Clarke's list at UK Motorhomes. As mentioned , anywhere else is restricted by paras 2 & 3 of Schedule 1 of the 1960 Act if it is to operate legally.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I frequently reply to posts asking for information on places to visit, sites etc in France, Spain & Portugal because I have a fair knowledge of these places compiled over the years from various sources, some of which I actually had to spend my hard earned cash on. I thought that was that a FUN forum was all about, perhaps I was wrong.

Thank you for your help in this matter.
I didn't offer you help.... just advice.
(I can let you have an old britstops book too if you want one)

Deleted User
There are a number of different lists on the Internet. Some come from research by their publishers and some are based on information sent in but their accuracy is not guaranteed.

Camper contact has been mentioned in previous posts but it lists car parks as suitable for overnighting which, officially, could easily result in a ticket. The car park in Saltburn, for instance, is an LA car park where daytime parking of motorhomes isn't even allowed officially, never mind overnighting. The other three locations in Redcar/Saltburn are questionable and, at best, tolerated. The same is the case with Search for Sites (which lists two of those four places).

The only researched list of stopovers (apart from the club lists of CLs/CSs) which have an official exemption (no site licence required) is Andy Clarke's list at UK Motorhomes. As mentioned , anywhere else is restricted by paras 2 & 3 of Schedule 1 of the 1960 Act if it is to operate legally.
The ones that we used previously to buying a book were free listings from one of the magazines, can't remember which one but it's called nightstop and doesn't require membership.
Others I can remember off hand are the Toby pubs chain, they let you stay over if eating.
Generally if we are visiting friends and can't stay at their house, we ask them if any eating pubs close by and if they know of any give them a call and ask about staying in car park, never been asked for memberships.
I think Britstops is a great idea, handy having the guide to look up places, but I'm now surprised to find out although buying membership, no checking is enforced.
If it was an enforced check, you need the sticker to stay, there would be no difference to us all sharing the information same as people recommend CC sites or ACSI or c&cc inc their cl's etc, you share the information, if the person wants to then use based on personal recommendation they need to purchase membership. This is where I now see Bristops fall down, it seems they don't insist on membership checking by the establishments they list, so prefer nothing is shared.
Maybe this is a legal point they can't insist on, who knows, seems a little odd though.
If it was my business would put in place a robust membership card, insist it's verified, then happily allow others to sing the praises of the spots safe in the knowledge if you like what you hear see, you have to join up, thus generating more membership.

Lin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have a French airs book brought in a supermarket that lists them.
Doesn't mean that the book uses the data with France Passions permission.

Maybe they asked and France Passion said yes. It's their database to do with as they so choose I guess

Maybe they stole their list of Aires and France Passions from Searchforsites - that would be kind of ironic

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Doesn't mean that the book uses the data with France Passions permission.

Maybe they asked and France Passion said yes. It's their database to do with as they so choose I guess

Maybe they stole their list of Aires and France Passions from Searchforsites - that would be kind of ironic
There is a 2 page advert for French Passion in the book so I would think the entries have their blessing.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The ones that we used previously to buying a book were free listings from one of the magazines, can't remember which one but it's called nightstop and doesn't require membership.
Others I can remember off hand are the Toby pubs chain, they let you stay over if eating.
Generally if we are visiting friends and can't stay at their house, we ask them if any eating pubs close by and if they know of any give them a call and ask about staying in car park, never been asked for memberships.
The Nightstops are a branding for what, legally, are MCC CLs, the scheme being run in conjunction with Practical Motorhome magazine. The lack of membership requirement applies to all MCC CLs (about a third of which are branded as Nightstops).

I don't know whether Toby pubs have site licences (or CL exemptions) but if not then they are bound by the para 2/3 restrictions (same for other "eating pubs").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back