Since 2003
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Ours is a Euro 5 2014 Diesel under 3500kg, put in plate and it said we are no charge for Bath, but a charge for Birmingham.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Mines 4.5 ton and euro 6 - no charge for both

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
As long as they don't start charging for me to access the ferry at Portsmouth I don't really care.Very seldom take my car or van into a UK city..BUSBY.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Bath sits at the bottom of a narrow steep sided valley that traps vehicle pollutants known to be bad for peoples health, especially children. The Council is not going to charge the vast majority of privately owned vehicles and is saying to commercial operators “sod off unless you have Euro 6 vehicles“. Sadly a few heavy motorhomes will be caught by the charges but they are probably considered to be acceptable collateral damage. I suspect most residents will welcome the scheme.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It is all in their published charges. No charges for PLG whatever the the Euro standard (see picture below). Motorhomes up to 3500KG are registered as PLG and therefore there is no charge. PHGV charges i.e. over 3500KG for Euro 5 and below look steep, Euro 6 seem to be ok but I would still use the vehicle checker.
View attachment 457012
Agreed, sub-3,500kg MHs classed as PLGs

But, interestingly, lower down the same chart it includes campervans in the £9 charge band??

Van, light goods vehicle, pick-ups and campervans:
  • N1 (Pick-up or van under 3.5 tonnes)
  • Class L
Euro 1-5/V diesel and Euro 1 to 3 petrol (or earlier)Support is available £9

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Agreed, sub-3,500kg MHs classed as PLGs

But, interestingly, lower down the same chart it includes campervans in the £9 charge band??

Van, light goods vehicle, pick-ups and campervans:
  • N1 (Pick-up or van under 3.5 tonnes)
  • Class L
Euro 1-5/V diesel and Euro 1 to 3 petrol (or earlier)Support is available£9
This does appear to be a contradiction. I have emailed them and asked which applies to a motorhome. For me the distinction is unimportant because the vehicle is Euro 6 but I belong to a club with many members whose vehicles are not and we sometimes meet in Bath.

My V5C shows PLG and my Certificate of Conformity shows M1 approval, both of which are covered in the free category. Do campervans have different classifications?

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Interesting. I just put our van in, 2017 5.25T PHGV Euro 5+ and its come back with no charge for either Bath or Birmingham. Which is a bonus as we do occasionally use the Bath route.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
This does appear to be a contradiction. I have emailed them and asked which applies to a motorhome. For me the distinction is unimportant because the vehicle is Euro 6 but I belong to a club with many members whose vehicles are not and we sometimes meet in Bath.

My V5C shows PLG and my Certificate of Conformity shows M1 approval, both of which are covered in the free category. Do campervans have different classifications?
Be interested to learn what you discover concerning the confusion.

It doesn't significantly impact us - I'don't recall ever driving our van through Bath, and not planning to.

But I will be particularly keen to see how things eventually pan out in Bristol, which could affect us.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

It doesn't significantly impact us - I'don't recall ever driving our van through Bath, and not planning to.

But I will be particularly keen to see how things eventually pan out in Bristol, which could affect us.
Latest report:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/drivers-charged-enter-bristol-city-4889252

Not easy to see the detail but it looks like the proposed Zone will include York Road - Coronation Road which is the through route that I use.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
For a more detailed map of the Bristol proposals look here Bristol Clean Air Zone

The decision point to prevent entering the CAZ coming from the M5 junction 18 (Avonmouth) along the A4 portway is the one most likely to cause problems for larger vehicles and tuggers, as the turn into bridge valley road is a U turn. If they miss or ignore the Sylvan way turn then there will be little alternative but to enter the zone.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The implementation of the CAZ D in Bristol will mean that to access areas south west of Bristol on the A370 (Nailsea, Long Ashton, Falx Bourton etc.) all non compliant vehicles will have to use Junction 19 (Portishead) of the M5 and the A369 to avoid the zone as there is no through route from the A4.

Non compliant vehicles coming from the eastern side via the M4 wishing to accces those areas will either ahve to continue to the M5 as above or leave the M4 at the M32 immediatley leaving that at Hambrook and take the ring road (A4174) around Bristol to get to the south west side. There is an alternative route taking the last junction of the M32 and going via St Philips Marsh and the A4.

Either way not particularly easy.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
The implementation of the CAZ D in Bristol will mean that to access areas south west of Bristol on the A370 (Nailsea, Long Ashton, Falx Bourton etc.) all non compliant vehicles will have to use Junction 19 (Portishead) of the M5 and the A369 to avoid the zone as there is no through route from the A4.

Non compliant vehicles coming from the eastern side via the M4 wishing to accces those areas will either ahve to continue to the M5 as above or leave the M4 at the M32 immediatley leaving that at Hambrook and take the ring road (A4174) around Bristol to get to the south west side. There is an alternative route taking the last junction of the M32 and going via St Philips Marsh and the A4.

Either way not particularly easy.
Good route information John, but remember, the ring road is run, not by the Highways but South Glos Council, so is rarely, if ever, a free running road from end to end. They shut one Lane of the entire length whenever they litter pick, grass cut, roundabout beautify - you name it.... As with Bath, we avoid it like the plague!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Good route information John, but remember, the ring road is run, not by the Highways but South Glos Council, so is rarely, if ever, a free running road from end to end. They shut one Lane of the entire length whenever they litter pick, grass cut, roundabout beautify - you name it.... As with Bath, we avoid it like the plague!
Agreed Cliff add to that when you get to the Hicks Gate roundabout at the A4 you have to head back into Bristol to pick up the rest of the Ring road at Brislington to go through Hartcliff, Hengrove, Bishpopsworth etc. it could be a nightmare.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
As a Bath resident we have watched the councils road management schemes over the years with a mixture of disbelief and frustration (try navigating your way round the so-called 'bus gate' if you are a visitor...). So when the new scheme was floated it was just another one to add to the crazy list (getting longer since the Lib Dems took over last elections).
But as we are moving out of the city in the spring we just shrugged, happy to leave it for others to suffer.
Following this thread I entered our details on the BANES website and like others came up with 'no charge'.
Happy with that of course but fail to see how a 2007 3 litre diesel can be exempt?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Agreed Cliff add to that when you get to the Hicks Gate roundabout at the A4 you have to head back into Bristol to pick up the rest of the Ring road at Brislington to go through Hartcliff, Hengrove, Bishpopsworth etc. it could be a nightmare.
Wonder if we’re the only city that has had a ring road for decades which doesn’t actually follow the definition of a ring road....

“A ring road is a road or a series of connected roads encircling a town, city, or country. The most common purpose of a ring road is to assist in reducing traffic volumes in the urban centre, such as by offering an alternate route around the city for drivers who do not need to stop in the city core. Wikipedia:rofl:

Oh, and John, it’s me Geraldine at the ‘puter. Cliff wouldn’t know how to post on here .... :rofl::rofl:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We always go straight through Bristol city rather than use the “ring road”. It comes to something when that is the fastest route particularly when you know Bristol centre traffic! This is even though we have to get on the ring road from our house.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

This is the reply I got from Bath.

Whether a vehicle is charged when driving in the Clean Air Zone depends on its registration with the DVLA. I would advise you enter your vehicles details into the following link https://www.gov.uk/check-clean-air-zone-charge to see which category your motorhome would fall under.

I take that to mean if it is registered as PLG then no charge in Bath. However PHGV seems to need Euro VI. I still don’t understand Campervans but unless it appears on the V5C shouldn’t be a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back