Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Good evening

We have just bought the new Benimar Mileo 286 and would love to hear from anyone with a Mileo range van to understand what you think of these vans, good or bad. As my model is a new addition this year I have nothing to work with re how these vans stand up to use, where things are etc, we have had Swifts for the past 12 years so this manufacturer is new to us and everything seems so different.

Tezza

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi Tezza ,we are picking a new benimar mileo 294 up at 10.30 tomorrow at marquis at Preston so I will let you know of any problems we have via this site .It would be interesting to hear how you get on with your new benimar

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have had ours from nearly new (300km on clock) now for 4 years and very pleased wit it. I have added a few things like solar, extra batteries, Sat system and removed bike rike from rear. The base is a Ford Transit 2.2L Duratorq TDCi (140PS) and goes really well. Enjoy your new MH and have lots of fun and laughter.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Benimar picked up problem number one can't get in through the habitation door the man showing did not seem to struggle to much but to us with arthritis in the hands it seems almost impossible but we got it home and drenched the lock in wd40 an hopefully will loosen off . Problem number two and it's not really a fault but a design feature the grey waste dumps from under the middle of the van somewhere just rear of the axle so that should be a laugh on site

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Benimar picked up problem number one can't get in through the habitation door the man showing did not seem to struggle to much but to us with arthritis in the hands it seems almost impossible but we got it home and drenched the lock in wd40 an hopefully will loosen off . Problem number two and it's not really a fault but a design feature the grey waste dumps from under the middle of the van somewhere just rear of the axle so that should be a laugh on site
The door should open with ease, might just be newness and as for the grey waste we have no problem with it centre rear, just as wife to guide me over drain. Having said that watched French MH just stop near drain and............ dump!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I am sure it will ease I can now open it with two hands now ,my only worry with the waste is all but one of the sites I have been on bar one (Chester) have had the grids near the kerb but I am sure there are ways and means around this :xgrin:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Problem number two and it's not really a fault but a design feature the grey waste dumps from under the middle of the van somewhere just rear of the axle so that should be a laugh on site

Our Chausson was like that but we fitted an extension piece on so it now discharges at the rear of the van and can have an additional extension to take to the near or off side. It was very easy to do using off the shelf plumbing bits.

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi Howard, glad you picked it up OK, our door was stiff but if you hold the handle and put your thumb ( if you can) up, the thumb then seems to work against your hand to open the door more easily.
I am also not sure about the waste dump, my swift was a lot easier to empty.
Well impressed with the radio, not lost any signal yet, also the sat nav and camera location software, the camera is taking a time to get used to, but measured it out last weekend and when the image reaches the point of the bumper we are still 2ft away hitting anything, so getting there with that.
As we are on the lowered sports chassis I did notice that when over hanging a parking bay onto a grass verge we are very close to the corner steadies, so will have to watch that in the future.
The heating is fab, gets very hot very quickly but the hot water takes a time to heat up.
Fiat engine is a joy to drive, the van seems very heavy around town but on the motorway she is so easy, our choice so not a complaint.
So far no complaints good build front to back, except for the carpet which wont clip in and we are waiting for a replacement, but not the end of the world, oh and the wardrobes above the garage are very cold, great for the beer but not my PJ's.

Tezza

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi Tezza,glad you are getting on with your new mh ,we are getting use to ours but won't get to use it properly until Saturday when we are going to our local site for a night to try it out.Our door is coming to now and can be opened with one hand so that's good the only thing I feel I might have to change in the future is that great big table I am sure it's got bigger than we bought it at the NEC .I have found that YouTube is more informative than the handbooks and have just come in after getting my head around the heating system it all works quicker on gas rather than electric any way I will keep you informed of any problems we have .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Hi Tezza,glad you are getting on with your new mh ,we are getting use to ours but won't get to use it properly until Saturday when we are going to our local site for a night to try it out.Our door is coming to now and can be opened with one hand so that's good the only thing I feel I might have to change in the future is that great big table I am sure it's got bigger than we bought it at the NEC .I have found that YouTube is more informative than the handbooks and have just come in after getting my head around the heating system it all works quicker on gas rather than electric any way I will keep you informed of any problems we have .
I cut our table down a little, which makes a great difference as there is only two of us. We also put table away when driving and when not in use, helps make the sitting area look bigger.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi Don Quixote, yes I think that is my plan but I think this table is fixed it does slide about but I don't think it is removable .I will bide my time as everybody seems to think the table is to big so somebody will bring a replacement table out ,don't think I am capable of doing a good enough job .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Howard, I did not know it's fixed. Might be with going to local kitchen fitter and asking them for a price to make you a custom top and you should be able to unscrew top and refit and then keeping original.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
That is a great idea we have some work going to start in our house kitchen in the new year so will get them to have a look:)

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi Howard, Don

Yeah forgot about the table, we put it up and down as needed (not fixed) but I know at some point it is going to have my toes, so heavy. I found the Truma website superb, very informative and easy to understand.
Good luck for the weekend, we have had two weekends, 1 down to vanbitz when we bought it and last week to mid wales to try to understand her before we go off for the New Year.

Terry

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi Howard, Don

Yeah forgot about the table, we put it up and down as needed (not fixed) but I know at some point it is going to have my toes, so heavy. I found the Truma website superb, very informative and easy to understand.
Good luck for the weekend, we have had two weekends, 1 down to vanbitz when we bought it and last week to mid wales to try to understand her before we go off for the New Year.

Terry

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks Don we will enjoy this weekend I am sure ,the site is only about 10 miles away from home and then only about 10 miles away from marquis Preston so everything covered . Just booked for Chester cc site for a few days between Christmas and new year so by then we will have every thing sorted before the foreign tours next year. Let's us know if you have any problems I should keep an eye on I will do the same .:xgrin:

Sorry ment to send this to Tezza :xsad::xThumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Don

Apologies for the intrusion I need to uprate the van to increase my payload, (Howard you may need to watch the loading too), the van has been down rated to 3500, but at 320kg the payload is no good, I need the 520 stated on the Benimar brochure would you know, if my plates say front axel 1850 and rear 2000, what can I increase to? Brochure says 3650, is this the max I can do as a FOC paperwork exercise?

Terry

PS, I went to the local weigh bridge today and loaded with the usual things minus the wife, clothes, food deck chairs etc, I did have just under half a tank of water and just under half a tank of fuel, we came in at 1850kg rear axel and 1440kg front axel, 3400kg all in.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Not had chance to weigh my van yet but before I bought it I thought the payload was low so we opted for the the free upgrade to 3650 kg , the next upgrade was to about 4000kg but that cost money and as we travel very light I did not think we needed it .At 3400kg you are pretty close to the limit might be worth enquiring about the upgrade.
Regards Howard

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Unfortunately for me Marquis had already registered the van before we bought it, but have said they will do the upgrade, to 3650 as you have done. I found mistake on the registration form (Marquis put the wrong model number on it) and thought as I have to send it off to be corrected, I might as well apply for the upgrade myself, and save another trip to Tewkesbury. I called the DVLA today and they talked me through what I need, so should be OK, may just stick to 3650.
I have the original certification document and need to supply photo copies of both my Vin plates,Fiat and Benimar, so fingers crossed that will suffice.

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Good Evening Howard, not sure if you are about, just wondered how you were getting on with the van.
Just returned from a rainy Mid wales New Year jaunt, had a few small issues, have had a few error codes on the Truma heating control panel, we down loaded the error codes and what they mean from the internet just in case, but it's so frustrating as I don't know where anything is on the van to find it, eg. we had a code that said the gas safety tap was open, great but what do I do to rectify it and where is it? I put the air con on and it cleared the code so still not sure what it was, the wife logged the code on the Truma blog web site but no answer from them as yet.
Also, the toilet roll holder fell apart, but fixed that (Twice) so Ok with that for now, and bought a roll of insulation (that fits behind the radiators), as we had condensation on the bottom half of the driver side lounge wall, soon stopped that, also put the remaining insulation on the wardrobe floors as it's still so bloody cold in there, it has made a bit of difference but not 100% happy yet.

Terry

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi Tezza ,we are getting on fine with the van we been away a couple of times over the Christmas break and touch wood we have had no problems yet . I think we have a different heating system to yours it's a truma but blown air not radiators and it's been working good and the same as you we are trying to make the bedroom warmer as its blooming freezing I am sure in summer it will be great nice and cool. I contacted marquis motorhomes today as I found a switch on the drivers side lounge wall and could not for the life of me see what it did turns out its turns on the heaters in the water and waste tanks. Also thought the kitchen sink was leaking as the cutlery draw was always wet but it turns out water was coming out of the handles of the cheap set of cutlery we bought for the van so that's happy days .

Still not sure about the table but we are getting used to it .

Howard

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi Howard
Might have confused you sorry, mine has the blown heating, the insulation I bought is the stuff used in the house to put behind radiators, we wanted something thin to fit behind the seating so not taking up too much space, it's like a space blanket, but seemed to work for us.
Yeah we found the switch when we were thinking of buying ours, and the sales guys had no idea, so it was the first question on the list at our hand over, and yes it's for the tank heaters.
The table is a pain, mine goes away in the garage but is a nuisance having to get it in and out at meal times, will have to find a lighter version in the coming months, weather permitting, we are off to the Highlands for Easter, can't wait.

T

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I soon get confused it's an age thing:) we where thinking of a space blanket and putting it under the mattress just to warm the bedroom up as I am sure a lot of the coldness comes in there .If you break your journey in Easter anywhere near us (between Preston and Lancaster ) I would love to meet you and your van (y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Howard just read your post regarding your table if it's like the one we had in our last van it slides front to back and side to side, we also had a lever underneath table so we could turn it 180 degrees as the table wasn't square this made it easier to walk past. Just a thought your might be different.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi Lorger that table sounds exactly like the one I have its just to big for the relatively small living area , I guess I will have to live with It I can move the top all over the place but the leg is fixed :)

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Howard ref the waste dump...I have a Benimar 202 and visited an aquatic centre - a helpful guy took some pipe fittings from the shop got underneath and advised what i needed - they are similar to theses two - flexible 90deg bend and a taper.. I have then added a washing machine waste hose which is velcroed to the rear steady. I can usually drive up and see drain from rear view mirror.
hose 2.JPG hose 1.JPG

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi Vanderek, that a great solution to the problem on my next day off I will be off to the plumbers merchant armed with these pictures and see if I can cure what I consider to be a design fault . I don't want to become a grey water dribbler :). Thanks very much

Howard

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Hi Howard, just reading you post about how cold you have felt, not knowing what the problem is but there is a very good article in the February edition of MMM on page 177 that may be of help.
Ray

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back