New Benimar (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2018
Monforte del Cid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 463
Exp
Not enough
Went to my local dealer(Spanish)earlier this week hoping to order a new Tessoro - either 463 or 496 - still not sure which to go for. No 2018 models in stock and the salesman said we can't place an order until June/July when the next update is launched, maybe not until September following the Spanish August shutdown. Tried to sell us a 2017 model but would rather wait.
So, hopefully the new models will have some updates and will be worth waiting for, in the meantime we would appreciate any opinions on the current model especially with regard to the Northautokapp options, thanks.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
These vans have incredibly poor payload stats so if you do register them at 3.5T then you'll probably be running illegal by the time you put two tins of beans onboard.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's if they build it on a 3,5t.:)They do love using 3,2t,3,3t,3,4t.Why I've no idea ? Worth the OP checking weights first.(y)
& :welco:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
All U.K. Benimar tensoro’s are on a 3.5t base, with the lowest user payload of 320kg on model 494

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
All U.K. Benimar tensoro’s are on a 3.5t base, with the lowest user payload of 320kg on model 494

The 463 is also about 300-320kg which is truly appalling for a motorhome unless you want to be a single traveller.

The MIRO is 90% fuel, 50kg of water, 6kg gas and a 75kg driver.

....... so lets do some basic calculations:

1. The van may be up to 100kg heavier than stated on the MIRO figures due to European regulation allowances.
2. Extra 6kg gas bottle = 13kg.
3. Avtex and aerial = 10kg
4. Awning = 35kg
5. 1 x Passenger = 75kg
6. If the driver/passenger is over 75kg then add that too.
7. Extra water of 50-litres (optional for touring) = 50kg.
8. Extra leisure battery for touring (optional) = 25kg.
9. No scope for passengers no matter what their size and weight.

The above figures suggest that a Benimar 463 or 496 will potentially be way over its legal payload before you even put your underwear in the top locker.

These bigger vans are not fit for purpose IMO.

Cheers,

Andrew

OP
OP
Li150
Feb 27, 2018
Monforte del Cid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 463
Exp
Not enough
Thanks for the replies and will be looking further into payload etc before making a decision, lots more research to be done now.

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
We purchased our Mileo 313 in November, one of the last 2017 models available. For 2018 the upgrade was the fitment of a tracker and the iNet system for Truma heating/hot water.
I fitted those 'upgrades' for a total cost of £250 which included the remote level check of a gas bottle.
Much cheaper than a 2018 model and no waiting!

Aug 30, 2018
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Newbie soon to be ex Caravanner
We have our eye on a Tessoro 463 (the Tessoro's have Ford 370 engines and chassis) which has a brochure payload of 330Kg. SVtech say it can be up-plated to 4000Kg with no physical changes so the payload can now be around 850Kg - more than enough me thinks especially considering that most of the required 'extras' have already been included as they are standard across the range (except the awning) :)

Aug 30, 2018
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have our eye on a Tessoro 463 (the Tessoro's have Ford 370 engines and chassis) which has a brochure payload of 330Kg. SVtech say it can be up-plated to 4000Kg with no physical changes so the payload can now be around 850Kg - more than enough me thinks especially considering that most of the required 'extras' have already been included as they are standard across the range (except the awning) :)

Ooops Ford 170 engine !!!

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
The 463 is also about 300-320kg which is truly appalling for a motorhome unless you want to be a single traveller.

The MIRO is 90% fuel, 50kg of water, 6kg gas and a 75kg driver.

....... so lets do some basic calculations:

1. The van may be up to 100kg heavier than stated on the MIRO figures due to European regulation allowances.
2. Extra 6kg gas bottle = 13kg.
3. Avtex and aerial = 10kg
4. Awning = 35kg
5. 1 x Passenger = 75kg
6. If the driver/passenger is over 75kg then add that too.
7. Extra water of 50-litres (optional for touring) = 50kg.
8. Extra leisure battery for touring (optional) = 25kg.
9. No scope for passengers no matter what their size and weight.

The above figures suggest that a Benimar 463 or 496 will potentially be way over its legal payload before you even put your underwear in the top locker.

These bigger vans are not fit for purpose IMO.

Cheers,

Andrew

A strange response! I want to be below the 3.5t limit to avoid the hassle associated with keeping a higher limit driving license. I know from many years caravanning and hiring motorhomes abroad that this is a rather skewed way of looking at the payload.

First of all 50litres of water is more than I will need for travelling, that frees up an extra 25kg payload.
I don't need an additional battery.
I will have one refillable gas cylinder.
10kg of luggage is included in the MIRO.

The 486 I am getting has a payload of 390kg. It is one of the bigger vans. Add on the 25kg less water and that gives 415kg.
Awning 35kg, and automatic 38kg will reduce the payload by 73kg to 342kg.
Passenger, 75kg brings it down to 267kg

That is exactly double the payload we had in our caravan.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is exactly double the payload we had in our caravan.
Not the same though. Your caravan did not carry all the outside and other stuff that you kept in the car. Here everything you take has to be in the moho.

And I agree with others that the payload is too low if you want to be touring that does not rely upon sites and EHUs

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Not the same though. Your caravan did not carry all the outside and other stuff that you kept in the car. Here everything you take has to be in the moho.

And I agree with others that the payload is too low if you want to be touring that does not rely upon sites and EHUs

Never needed to take anything in the car, everything, including the awning and chairs went in the caravan, and still within the weight allowance.

For many years now we have always camped on sites and will continue to do so. Even when touring the US, I booked every campsite in advance before I left the UK. In many National Parks such as Yellowstone and Yosemite you have to stay on recognised sites. As for EHU, we should be able to manage without that, we don't usually take a TV and all the lights are LED, and there is a solar panel as standard.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Advance booking worked well each time we went to the US. The last time we travelled 3000 miles and had every site but one booked. Most forest/national park sites allowed one to select the actual pitch, and many times there was even a photograph of the pitch. Plenty of time for sightseeing on the way, and, knowing the exact distance we could arrive at a suitable time. We booked Yosemite in early January when the booking window opened. Within 15 minutes of the window opening the first day, each campground on Yosemite was fully booked. Otherwise one had to stay outside the park and join the procession of vehicles in for the 50 mile drive each morning.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Advance booking worked well each time we went to the US. The last time we travelled 3000 miles and had every site but one booked. Most forest/national park sites allowed one to select the actual pitch, and many times there was even a photograph of the pitch. Plenty of time for sightseeing on the way, and, knowing the exact distance we could arrive at a suitable time. We booked Yosemite in early January when the booking window opened. Within 15 minutes of the window opening the first day, each campground on Yosemite was fully booked. Otherwise one had to stay outside the park and join the procession of vehicles in for the 50 mile drive each morning.
But you are not going to take your motorhome to the USA are you?

We have travelled in France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Italy over the last few years and always found good places to stop without booking in advance. Even managed it in the UK, although we did sometimes have to phone ahead in the morning. That enabled us to follow our nose, or the good weather, and be distracted by a nice little town or restaurant or waterfall or view. Or decide, like we often do, that we have had enough time driving in the sun after an hour or so and so we stop to enjoy it. Of course if you want the Riviera in July and August it would all be difficult, but then that is not our type of holiday.

You may find that you will be able to use the motorhome very differently to the way you used a caravan. Its more about the journey than the destination.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
No intention of taking this one to the US. It costs about £100 a night to hire a van conversion there, so not worth it for 2-3 weeks.

Like I say, I've had a fair amount of experience in motorhomes and caravans, and know the difference between the two types of holiday. However, as I said we still prefer to book. Got Spain booked for February.

OP
OP
Li150
Feb 27, 2018
Monforte del Cid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 463
Exp
Not enough
So finally have a 2019 spec.Tessoro 463 ordered, should be ready for collection mid January.
Points taken re payload but as there’s only the two of us we’ll be careful what we carry and check weight regularly.

Aug 30, 2018
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Uprating is easy....

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I checked out public weighbridges, and found there were 2 within 5 minutes drive from home, so when mine arrives I shall check the weight, then I will know exactly where I stand.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
So finally have a 2019 spec.Tessoro 463 ordered, should be ready for collection mid January.
Points taken re payload but as there’s only the two of us we’ll be careful what we carry and check weight regularly.
I am considering a Spanish-plated Benimar Tessoro 463 (2020 model) and my only concern is the payload as discussed previously in this post. How have you found the vans payload, I wondered if you ever had it on a weighbridge as well. Any other issues with it? Thanks in advance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back