Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!
Hi,

Yesterday I fitted a new 120ah leisure battery in the van I ensured that the control panel was changed to reflect a different sized battery to the one previously fitted. I have a 100w solar panel with a Victron MPPT controller and a battery master. When I fitted the battery according to the control panel it was reading 13.6v. I have today fitted a Victron Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle, when fitted it showed the battery to be at 13.1v this matched what the control panel was showing. This afternoon it has reduced to 12.96v. I know this isn't a great drop however there is nothing at all on in the van and we have had a fair bit of sun this afternoon so would have expected to either hold steady or a slight increase?

Am I missing anything??

Cheers

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Victron should keep the battery at about 13.4 volts or thereabouts. But if it is very cloudy where you are it may not be able to do this. If it isn't charging the battery voltage will drop below 13 volts. Can you see any charging current when there is daylight?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say what type of battery but if a flooded cell, fully charged off load is 12.7v. After fully charging it will read around 13v but after a few hours will drop back to 12.7 to 12.9v. These are readings without the solar connected.
With the solar connected the readings will be higher as you will be reading the solar charge voltage.
Also with your control panel turned on there will bee a load on your battery of 300-500 ma.

Basically doesn't sound as if anything is wrong, if it continues to drop you may have a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
LiquidLunch

LiquidLunch

Free Member
Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!
Thanks for that very helpful will keep an eye on it in the next few days...……...

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
What is the state of the Cab battery? If its down it may be drawing current from your new battery via the battery master thus lowering the new tab battery if its not getting any solar input due to low or negligible sun!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back