New Bailey - things to watch out for? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hi, really looking forward to picking up our first MH on Monday. Equally mildly concerned at what may or may not be working/missing as some posts on this excellent site allude to. It's a Bailey Autograph 79-4.

So if any Bailey owners have any experience of things we should watch out for or should ask for, then I'd appreciate a heads up. I always look for the good in folks but previous car purchases have suggested that may be a lost cause in the motor trade! I'm hoping the MH trade is not in the same league and so far all the comms have been very positive.

Fingers crossed!

C & J

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hi, really looking forward to picking up our first MH on Monday. Equally mildly concerned at what may or may not be working/missing as some posts on this excellent site allude to. It's a Bailey Autograph 79-4.

So if any Bailey owners have any experience of things we should watch out for or should ask for, then I'd appreciate a heads up. I always look for the good in folks but previous car purchases have suggested that may be a lost cause in the motor trade! I'm hoping the MH trade is not in the same league and so far all the comms have been very positive.

Fingers crossed!

C & J

Noting your location as Llandovery, I wonder are you purchasing your Moho from Continental Leisure Vehicles in Crosshands ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi, MH55

Ended up impulse buying at the NEC in the Spring, so dealer down in Devon, Alan Kerr Ltd.

Would CLV be good for a service when the time comes?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hi, MH55

Ended up impulse buying at the NEC in the Spring, so dealer down in Devon, Alan Kerr Ltd.

Would CLV be good for a service when the time comes?

Although we've purchased 2 Moho's from C.L.V. & would recommend them, we take our vehicles to N.C.C. approved Days motor group Garngoch, for both base vehicle & habitation services, so can't comment on C.L.V.'s service merits

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Make sure any bits you notice are fixed before you leave. Get them to demonstrate everything is working including the heating, fridge etc. If possible have a night at the Dealers or campsite nearby. Your contract is with the supplying Dealer so don’t expect another Dealer to want to sort out problems that should have been fixed before delivery. You may also find that getting another Dealer to do repairs may not be as simple as you think. They will want to sort out their own customers first, then the paying customers, then if they have any time left .. You.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Don't expect the dealer to have checked everything for you ie PDI. Most rely on the customer finding fault-if you don't find them they don't have to fix them situation. check every cupboard door , every catch every locker lock and unlock. check all gas appliances work -they should rig up a temporary cylinder if thy are not supplying one. Check all moveble items to make sure they move and go back into place. You are a long way to have to go back for something trivial -cost you more in diesel.
read the "buying a motorhome " in the resources section.
Best of luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Make sure any bits you notice are fixed before you leave. Get them to demonstrate everything is working including the heating, fridge etc. If possible have a night at the Dealers or campsite nearby. Your contract is with the supplying Dealer so don’t expect another Dealer to want to sort out problems that should have been fixed before delivery. You may also find that getting another Dealer to do repairs may not be as simple as you think. They will want to sort out their own customers first, then the paying customers, then if they have any time left .. You.
Hi GFour, that's makes sense and is only fair if they didn't get the sale I guess. My main concern is not knowing the things to look out for hence I doing my research today:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Don't expect the dealer to have checked everything for you ie PDI. Most rely on the customer finding fault-if you don't find them they don't have to fix them situation. check every cupboard door , every catch every locker lock and unlock. check all gas appliances work -they should rig up a temporary cylinder if thy are not supplying one. Check all moveble items to make sure they move and go back into place. You are a long way to have to go back for something trivial -cost you more in diesel.
read the "buying a motorhome " in the resources section.
Best of luck
Excellent advice Jimbo and taken note of. Thanks for the resources heads up, I'll have a look!

Upvote 0

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,
Worth asking if the mod has been completed for the front roof window, whistles better than Roger Whittaker If the correct seal hasn’t been fitted.
Mine was new 4months ago and is waiting to be replaced (50-60mph should tell you if it’s ok)

Darren

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Hi GFour, that's makes sense and is only fair if they didn't get the sale I guess. My main concern is not knowing the things to look out for hence I doing my research today:)

You should have a good walk round the outside and look for any dints, scrapes and window scratches. All these can be blamed on you once you drive away with it. If you are not happy with it you don’t have to drive it away no matter what the Dealer says he will do about it.

Enjoy your new MH. Don’t forget to get it weighed once you have filled it with all your junk, water and diesel. You will find lots of posts on the forum about axle weights.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi,
Worth asking if the mod has been completed for the front roof window, whistles better than Roger Whittaker If the correct seal hasn’t been fitted.
Mine was new 4months ago and is waiting to be replaced (50-60mph should tell you if it’s ok)

Darren
That's a top tip Darren. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Also check things like CDs and DVDs load and play OK into the cab player & /or TV player (our dealer left the transit screws in the cab player which meant a return trip).

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Also check things like CDs and DVDs load and play OK into the cab player & /or TV player (our dealer left the transit screws in the cab player which meant a return trip).
Wow, Would never have thought of that. Thank you Burgo!

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Check the Ehu lead is there also the winder and centre rafter for the awning.
Don't let them rush through the handover. Take your time and ask questions even if they seem daft questions. You can even get your partner to record it on your phone.
We always book a campsite close by.
Oh and don't forget to take your gas bottle as some dealers don't include these.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Check the Ehu lead is there also the winder and centre rafter for the awning.
Don't let them rush through the handover. Take your time and ask questions even if they seem daft questions. You can even get your partner to record it on your phone.
We always book a campsite close by.
Oh and don't forget to take your gas bottle as some dealers don't include these.
All sounds good. Thank you

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Once the handover is done, stay at their premises with the fridge on gas, light all appliances gas rings, oven and grill. Put the heating on which is Alde heating.

Make up the front bed pull and pull backwards and forwards a few times all blinds etc.

If they have a hose full up the fresh water system, bleed the hot water side and once full check the reading on the tank level indicator.

Make sure all the touch sensitive lights are working.

Once you have played with these items and if all ok then leave their premises.

Book a campsite locally for a few days so any problem you can pop back in.

You will have a long drive back if you have a issue once your home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Once the handover is done, stay at their premises with the fridge on gas, light all appliances gas rings, oven and grill. Put the heating on which is Alde heating.

Make up the front bed pull and pull backwards and forwards a few times all blinds etc.

If they have a hose full up the fresh water system, bleed the hot water side and once full check the reading on the tank level indicator.

Make sure all the touch sensitive lights are working.

Once you have played with these items and if all ok then leave their premises.

Book a campsite locally for a few days so any problem you can pop back in.

You will have a long drive back if you have a issue once your home.
Sounds like some good advice there. Thank you.

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Might be worth having a chat wuth CLV, about their attitude to taking on warranty work.?
We had similar distance issues with our chausson. Bought at highbridge devon,2yrs. ago, local dealer 3As carmarthenshire.

3as did a warrentary repair when booked in for first habitation service, highbridge arranged for a warrnty job to be done by 3as, so dealers can talk to each other! Both jobs small mind you and 3as now regard us as their customer

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks everybody for your input. Just about an hour away from the dealership so both of us looking forward to a new lifestyle of touring. Swapping one pilots seat for another!

I post an update should anything be amiss!

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Check the seal around the top of the freshwater tank (on the inside under the bed) @Wesbus filled his up from the outside and all leaked inside soaking the carpets.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Got the dealer to fill it. So far so good but will check in the morning.

So far just one week drawer front fixing and no Velcro on side wall in dining area to hold Velcro attached to cushions. All fixed now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Deleted User
Led filament popped last night and a blind string untied itself. Again all fixed and off for alarm fit then home.

Good first night but looking forward to getting it all sorted then we’re off.

Thanks for all your advice and good wishes!

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Led filament popped last night and a blind string untied itself. Again all fixed and off for alarm fit then home.

Good first night but looking forward to getting it all sorted then we’re off.

Thanks for all your advice and good wishes!
I took the blinds out as they are a faff to open and close and get them sit right.
Glad you enjoyed the first night

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back