New Bailey autograph questions (1 Viewer)

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all following on from my recent help thread I thought I'd start a new one just asking some questions so here they are
1 is the alde heating system as good as it sounds
2 the whale water source hose system general info please as I take it you can't fill from a watering can
3 the hab speakers above the two sofas where are they fed from
4 does the cab have an alarm system from peugeot
There maybe a few more that I can't think off yet
Thanks
Paul

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
1. Yes - Alde heating is superb - most would not revert if buying another van. My C class Alde is warmer than my previous A class Truma.
2. Bailey are a caravan company and cannot get over people wanting to pump water out of an aqua roller. Fill your tank by hose when you arrive and it will last a week. Move the van to water once a week if staying longer and empty grey.
3. N/K
4. Highly unlikely; see VanBitz if you want the nuts. Fun discount if you mention membership when ordering.

Jan 23, 2017
St Albans,
Funster No
MH
Bailey
1 Yes
2 Yes, there is a filler point in the van, mine is in the corridor between shower and fridge (97-6). You have to lift up the carpet to get at the hatch.
3 N/K
4 As above

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
1. Yes - Alde heating is superb - most would not revert if buying another van. My C class Alde is warmer than my previous A class Truma.
2. Bailey are a caravan company and cannot get over people wanting to pump water out of an aqua roller. Fill your tank by hose when you arrive and it will last a week. Move the van to water once a week if staying longer and empty grey.
3. N/K
4. Highly unlikely; see VanBitz if you want the nuts. Fun discount if you mention membership when ordering.

1 Yes
2 Yes, there is a filler point in the van, mine is in the corridor between shower and fridge (97-6). You have to lift up the carpet to get at the hatch.
3 N/K
4 As above
Answer to number 3
What is n/k

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
The hab speakers are fed by the Peugeot Radio - Settings - Fade

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
The van comes with a flat filler hose, it is prone to twisting and not letting water through. it was so much of a pain i chopped the end off and fitted an adaptor so now have 12inch of flat pipe with van adaptor connected to standard hose. No more problems.:)
Also be aware the waste tank is slow to empty.:(

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
The van comes with a flat filler hose, it is prone to twisting and not letting water through. it was so much of a pain i chopped the end off and fitted an adaptor so now have 12inch of flat pipe with van adaptor connected to standard hose. No more problems.:)
I'd seen a few threads on the flat hose so will be doing the same as you
Our current elddis 155 waste is slow. Due to the small bore pipe

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Anything else I should be thinking about
I'm just a little bit concerned about width and ground clearance sorry any reassurance will be greatly appreciated

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
coming from an elddis 195 i was a little apprehensive about the width and ground clearance but not had any problems yet. you will find it a lot more stable than the elldis and the 160 bhp makes a hell of a difference to the performance, also used to get 27/28 mpg from elldis, now getting 31mpg.
Aldi heating is fantastic, no noisy fans:)

Jan 23, 2017
St Albans,
Funster No
MH
Bailey
you do have to be aware of the low clearance, I have touched twice, once coming of a slip road and across a main road and once in a forestry camping park.
First one severed the alarm wires, second hit the water tank. However just have to keep an eye on the camber of the road.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Yes, there is one other very important point Paul:

"Owning a Bailey is like being the proud parents of a new born baby, i.e. the parents think It's the most beautiful and wonderful thing ever while everyone else thinks It's urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgly":rolleyes:

Only joking mate:D

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, there is one other very important point Paul:

"Owning a Bailey is like being the proud parents of a new born baby, i.e. the parents think It's the most beautiful and wonderful thing ever while everyone else thinks It's urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgly":rolleyes:

Only joking mate:D
I must admit I find a few other mhs more attractive but the inside more than makes up for its looks

Dide46

Free Member
May 3, 2017
County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I quite like the look of them as they are a little different to everything out there and look very squat and meaty! They are wide and low there’s no two ways about it, however it’s manageable (so far)! We have now put 5k on ours in 9 months and visited 4 different countries and managed ok we have had a couple of awkward situations where stress levels were high but managed to overcome. We are very mindful of our restrictions and try to bare this in mind when we are traveling, we were at the NEC the other week and viewed lots of other vans some considerabley more expensive than ours and we wouldn’t swap as it is the perfect layout and size for us and how we use the van.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I found that the filling hose as supplied was OK. A little short, however, so retained my 20m reel to link up as an extension when needed.
I keep the short hose on another reel for convenience but found when rewinding, the water would not flow out of the rectangular end as there is a valve preventing this (and you can't wind in from the other end). So I keep a clothes peg which fits into the outlet on the rectangular end and use this to hold the valve open letting the water escape. (y)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
One problem (more a nuisance really) we have discovered concerns the downlighters under the cupboards at the rear. They are touch sensitive - very swish. (y) but!!!!!!! they are set to switch ON by default, meaning you have to go round switching them all OFF. Now you'd think they'd either switch off by default or resume the status they were last at but no, every time you switch off your ignition or switch the main lighting control on, on they all come. :( The dealer cannot see a problem with this (neither can Bailey). He says just switch the main lighting control off. I asked if he thought that it was reasonable to switch off your fuse box at home to avoid a similar problem and he said, "that's different". It might seem a simple thing at first but it does start to grate after a while. Especially after moving the van a couple of inches on the drive at home, getting out and locking up then having to get back in, go to the rear of the van and switch off six lights individually and lock up again or the risk of not noticing it (in daylight hours) and flattening the battery.

All this said we do love our 68-2. :D

Wyn

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
One problem (more a nuisance really) we have discovered concerns the downlighters under the cupboards at the rear. They are touch sensitive - very swish. (y) but!!!!!!! they are set to switch ON by default, meaning you have to go round switching them all OFF. Now you'd think they'd either switch off by default or resume the status they were last at but no, every time you switch off your ignition or switch the main lighting control on, on they all come. :( The dealer cannot see a problem with this (neither can Bailey). He says just switch the main lighting control off. I asked if he thought that it was reasonable to switch off your fuse box at home to avoid a similar problem and he said, "that's different". It might seem a simple thing at first but it does start to grate after a while. Especially after moving the van a couple of inches on the drive at home, getting out and locking up then having to get back in, go to the rear of the van and switch off six lights individually and lock up again or the risk of not noticing it (in daylight hours) and flattening the battery.

All this said we do love our 68-2. :D

Wyn

I think I've read one of your posts on this issue hopefully we can live with issue

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I think I've read one of your posts on this issue hopefully we can live with issue
Next time it goes in I'll ask them to insert a switch to isolate them.

Wyn

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Had a similar problem with the lights, not too worried about the rear ones (we have the 796) but more concerned about the ones for the drop down bed which you don't see till the bed drops down I know heat shouldn't be an issue with LED's but still got the dealer to fit a switch so we can leave them isolated and turn them on only when we use that bed, they did this under warranty issue so don't see why your dealer wouldn't do the same.

Back to question on rear speakers, they are fed from the headset in the cab but we had the media pack plus fitted which can feed the audio from either of the TV's to those speakers (just select the appropriate AV source on the headset), the only issue we have is that you have to use the headphone jack to feed the output from the TV to the headset which turns the TV speakers off though its pretty good for a good film, not quite surround sound but not bad.

Gerby

Clarky51

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class low profile
Exp
Former caravanner, turned Motorhomer, via M/C touring
I'm just a little bit concerned about width and ground clearance sorry any reassurance will be greatly appreciated
I shared your concerns but having just returned from a 600 mile trip straight from the dealer, and having driven over single track roads in the Scottish borders I am pretty happy the extra external width is not a major problem, particularly as it makes such a big difference inside, IMO. I think they look lower than they are somehow!
Filling and emptying the tanks does take a while. I suspect the breathers may be too narrow. I share your concern with the lights. very odd arrangement especially as the recessed lighting won't work until the leds are switched on first.
My gripe is that the two front locker doors fly open if you hit a pot-hole, of which there seem to be many. The smaller rear lockers were fine but I think the front 'double size' doors could do with catches on the edges as well as the centre. Thoughts anyone?

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We changed our van 12 months ago, having looked around at the February and October NEC shows. Our shortlist came down to the Bailey 75-2 or the Autosleeper Broadway FB, which each had a similar layout. We liked the Bailey’s spacious and airy interior (though the width and ground clearance worried me a bit) and it’s lower price. In the end we opted for the Autosleeper because we thought it had a higher build quality, a more homely interior and a better specification. Don’t let me put you off the Bailey though. It is a nice van and I’m sure we would have been pleased with it if we can gone that way, although I must say we are thrilled with our Autosleeper. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
My gripe is that the two front locker doors fly open if you hit a pot-hole, of which there seem to be many. The smaller rear lockers were fine but I think the front 'double size' doors could do with catches on the edges as well as the centre. Thoughts anyone?
My wife belongs to the Bailey Motorhome Owners group on Facebook - we used to have a Bailey - may be worth joining? I know from her comments that the airline type lockers flying open is a known issue. Maybe worth talking to your dealer about?

Clarky51

Free Member
Mar 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class low profile
Exp
Former caravanner, turned Motorhomer, via M/C touring
Thanks, Solwaybuggier. I'll have a look there too. Overall I'm very pleased with it but there are a few niggles to sort out.

Gorm-man

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
We have a Bailey 79-4T June 2017 and are very experienced having had a range of caravans, campervans and now motor homes. We like the design and layout, lots of room and bright during the day with the front roof light. Great internal and external storage and a shower area that is positively spacious. It is our first low profile and we have been very careful when crossing dips and bumps. This has restricted where we would have previously gone with our last motor home in terms of roads and sites. The waste drain pipe is very near the ground and has already had to be refixed. Much more stable on the road particularly when windy. However, we are very disappointed with the build and finish quality. Sixteen faults found on our first trip away in June 2017. e-mail to Bailey was replied to referring us back to our dealership which is 150 miles away. Two retun trips to the dealership has dealt with most of the problems. I agree with the comments about the locker doors opening on their own whilst travelling. We have had to have one door replaced as it fell off its hinges. The lighting system is very poorly designed and the touch sensitive downlighters switch themselves on and off at night, as does the kitchen light, a real pain when you have already gone to bed and have to get up to switch them off. The Alde heating system is very good and has extended our touring season by two months. The external waterpump has caused us problems as the Whale website says that it should be mounted vertically and Bailey have mounted it horizontally, it is impossible to get the air out of the system and again have had to return to our dealer to try and get this fixed. The external lockerdoor catches have all fallen off and have had to be pop rivetted back on again. Great design, great layout, poor build quality and poor finishing, many screws over tightened and had to be replaced by our dealer. Having had a chat to other Bailey motor home owners on sites we will not be choosing another Bailey motor home given all the stress we have had returning back to the dealer for repairs under warranty taking away valuable travelling time.

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We've had 3 trips away so far and can now say I am really pleased and impressed with our 75-2.
Build quality is so much better than the elddis and the internal space is amazing.
Yes the odd cabinet light comes on when you switch the main lights on but it's a running bet now to see which one comes on.
The locker doors come open when we hit a deep pothole I will be looking at these at some point.
I changed the external TV out point into a TV in with some different fittings so that's all done.
I can actually see us keeping this one.

Well maybe a bit longer than the 155 anyway :whistle:

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
We have a Bailey 79-4T June 2017 and are very experienced having had a range of caravans, campervans and now motor homes. We like the design and layout, lots of room and bright during the day with the front roof light. Great internal and external storage and a shower area that is positively spacious. It is our first low profile and we have been very careful when crossing dips and bumps. This has restricted where we would have previously gone with our last motor home in terms of roads and sites. The waste drain pipe is very near the ground and has already had to be refixed. Much more stable on the road particularly when windy. However, we are very disappointed with the build and finish quality. Sixteen faults found on our first trip away in June 2017. e-mail to Bailey was replied to referring us back to our dealership which is 150 miles away. Two retun trips to the dealership has dealt with most of the problems. I agree with the comments about the locker doors opening on their own whilst travelling. We have had to have one door replaced as it fell off its hinges. The lighting system is very poorly designed and the touch sensitive downlighters switch themselves on and off at night, as does the kitchen light, a real pain when you have already gone to bed and have to get up to switch them off. The Alde heating system is very good and has extended our touring season by two months. The external waterpump has caused us problems as the Whale website says that it should be mounted vertically and Bailey have mounted it horizontally, it is impossible to get the air out of the system and again have had to return to our dealer to try and get this fixed. The external lockerdoor catches have all fallen off and have had to be pop rivetted back on again. Great design, great layout, poor build quality and poor finishing, many screws over tightened and had to be replaced by our dealer. Having had a chat to other Bailey motor home owners on sites we will not be choosing another Bailey motor home given all the stress we have had returning back to the dealer for repairs under warranty taking away valuable travelling time.
hi Gorm-man, i have the same van as you but unlike you i don't have any problems or quality concerns and have not had to go back to my dealer for anything, maybe my pdi was done properly, this is a well put together van with a lot of spec for the money. hopefully once you get sorted you will enjoy the van. Why buy a van from a dealer 150 miles away, surely as an experienced caravaner you know any warranty work has to be done by the supplying dealer. hope you get everything sorted.

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
We've had 3 trips away so far and can now say I am really pleased and impressed with our 75-2.
Build quality is so much better than the elddis and the internal space is amazing.
Yes the odd cabinet light comes on when you switch the main lights on but it's a running bet now to see which one comes on.
The locker doors come open when we hit a deep pothole I will be looking at these at some point.
I changed the external TV out point into a TV in with some different fittings so that's all done.
I can actually see us keeping this one.

Well maybe a bit longer than the 155 anyway :whistle:
hi Paul and Kate, glad your enjoying your new van. what did you use to convert the external tv point to aerial in, i could have done with that last week.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Pleased with my 75-2. Vans are built these days to keep the weight down to 3500kg and the payload high - something has to suffer. Most of the issues described in this thread are niggles not fundamental and should easily be sorted by a decent Bailey dealer. The whale pump can operate horizontally as well as vertical, the roof whistle should have been sorted before any van left the factory and is an inexcusable quality assurance issue - mine was cured with a new glass that has more catches and a different seal. Overhead lockers are long in length and can flex because of the catches being central - a permanent Bailey dealer fix is required for that one. The touch lighting setup is a bit weird but mine behaves itself so far!!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
hi Paul and Kate, glad your enjoying your new van. what did you use to convert the external tv point to aerial in, i could have done with that last week.

For switching between external out or external in:

Amazon product ASIN B00CTMY30A
Link lead:

Amazon product ASIN B000NWX32C
Terrestrial aerial in adapter:

Amazon product ASIN B004HTK4TW
Connect the new patch lead to the amplifier (undoing the aerial) Aerial In on the Vision - other end to the center connector on the switch. Locate the connector coming in from the outside and connect to either right or left connector on switch. Connect aerial (that you previously disconnected from the amplifier) to other right or left connector on switch.

Switch between one and the other. It was designed I think to be a external satellite dish input - if using it that way you will need to set it up to bypass the amplifier.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I did mine with aerial fittings will post pics at the weekend total cost £7.00

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back