New Bailey Autograph 79-4T problems (1 Viewer)

Mar 18, 2021
Brixham the English riviera
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Horrendous whistling noise from the overcab skylight over 50mph ...have carefully realigned seals and catches and will see if it still does it when I take it out later today....
Hmm mine does that as well. Think I'll mention it to them when they fit my 3rd kitchen blind!....

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Horrendous whistling noise from the overcab skylight over 50mph ...have carefully realigned seals and catches and will see if it still does it when I take it out later today....
Hmm mine does that as well. Think I'll mention it to them when they fit my 3rd kitchen blind!....
Hi, this is a well known issue in the Autograph 2, normally very easy fix under warranty mine was completed about 3 months after I got it (would have been earlier but we were using it) back in 2017 (they replaced the seal with an updated one) and we have had no issues with it since (ours is a 79-6 by the way)

Mar 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi, this is a well known issue in the Autograph 2, normally very easy fix under warranty mine was completed about 3 months after I got it (would have been earlier but we were using it) back in 2017 (they replaced the seal with an updated one) and we have had no issues with it since (ours is a 79-6 by the way)
Thanks for the info. We bought ours new in july last year and they said the blind needs replacing as its sagged. They replaced it and after a weekend trip to the motorhome show in the new forest the new blind sagged again and we'd lost a wheelnut! The wheelnut was replaced and another blind put on order which is finally being fitted on 10th may so I'll mention the issue with the cab skylight then. We are lucky that our dealership is only 4 miles from home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Generally are you guys happy with your vans or is it a case of never again.
I ask as a new 79-4T is at the top of my list to buy. In fact i went to Spinneys yesterday to establish availability. The man says one could be available mid next month. :unsure: :eek:🤞

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
I ask as a new 79-4T is at the top of my list to buy. In fact i went to Spinneys yesterday to establish availability. The man says one could be available mid next month. :unsure: :eek:🤞
Yup.. very happy. We thought about changing it, but then decided it now ticks all the boxes.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Have a autograph 2 796. Really happy. Very few snags in 3 years and not all Bailey fault. Were going to change this year but have decided to stick with it.
I know many on hear will say it’s not German build quality blah blah but the layout is perfect for us right now. And credit to Bailey they do make changes based on the complaints from their customers as well as market trend. Hence the double seals on the outside lockers and the manual pull down bed on the Autograph 2, and the repositioned kitchen sink or new bathroom sink in the Autograph 3.
The only downside for me at the time of ordering mine was that the Pug base does not have an automatic option.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
My thinking is almost any and every new van will have some degree of issues/teething. I have looked at 100s of vans. I could not find one that has the layout we want. So in effect the 79-4T wins by default.
Owners opinions on here are most helpful, even though there could be an element of bias.
Thanks

Mar 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We wouldn't change ours either. We looked at the newer model with the grey cab first and then the previous model. For us the previous model was best. Both layouts were lovely but what did it for us was the step in through the door was deeper which made it easier for my wife to get in and the lower floor with more head height for me was better being 6' 3".

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
After 20 years being a Bailey customer i changed on tuesday to a Deffleffs and boy what a difference, said to wife first van ever picked up and no faults, loved the layout and spec of the Bailey but their quality control is not brillant but would i buy again Probably! Yes.

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
We had a new Bailey Autograph a few years ago and encountered many problems too numerous to mention. The build quality was diabolical lots of things were damaged or fell off and the cooker was rusty. We were disgusted with Bailey which was a shame because the layout was perfect. On its second habitation check it was found the lockers had been letting water in. Changed to an Autosleeper much better build quality

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We had a new Bailey Autograph a few years ago and encountered many problems too numerous to mention. The build quality was diabolical lots of things were damaged or fell off and the cooker was rusty. We were disgusted with Bailey which was a shame because the layout was perfect. On its second habitation check it was found the lockers had been letting water in. Changed to an Autosleeper much better build quality
Could you advise how many years ago as you say "a few".

Oct 10, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 760
Exp
1st year
Just ordered the new adamo from Don Amott got a good deal in my opinion for p/x for my motorhome.The dealership said they won’t let us have it until they’ve done a full inspection of the vehicle and are happy that everything is in proper working order so hopefully if there are any faults they are picked up when they go over it with their fine tooth comb.

Passing through

Free Member
Jul 5, 2018
Northants
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We have recently rejected out new Bailey, with sadness, and accepted a refund. Of the 30+ issues from doors not staying closed or not closing at all, stickes peeling off etc, the most worrying was that the flue from the boiler was not connected correctly to the outlet and the flue itself was perforated. As the boiler is in the sleeping area that could have killed us off during a night!
Even though we had a refund we are left out of pocket for all the expense of security etc that we had to invest in for insurance etc.
I have to say the dealer was great in attemped to rectify the issues, all of which were relatively simple quality matters.
Alde have been great too. I live close to the Alde HQ so a trip there saw the boiler installation corrected and signed off. The comment made was "if it wasnt so serious it would be laughable!"
The solar installation had not even been connected to the battery!
A strange vibration at cruising speed that Peugeot recognised, but said it wasnt bad enough to look into, was the final straw.
I had relatively minor issues with our previous Bailey and attempted to discuss these with their tech guys at an NEC show. They didnt want to know really however we did keep that MH for 6 years and overall it was a pretty good experience, even though it had some expensive warranty work undertaken.
We have bought German. I have to say the only issue I have come across to date was a loose hinge to a cupboard which was sorted immediately. The quality is light years superior in terms of materials, build and fittings.
I am not saying do not buy Bailey, just beware and take a good look round before accepting it.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I am wondering if Baileys QC has improved over the years?? I see the van issues in the above post were a number of years ago. Darling is yet to come back with how many years ago their issues were.
Wayne&Lisa, good luck with your van. The dealers are going to say those things are they not?
I think if the dealer would allow an independent full inspection before delivery that would help.

Oct 10, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 760
Exp
1st year
Thank you first motorhome we’ve had from new new excited and nervous in both amounts.I was told that baileys sales executive was being called into the dealership to be pulled over the coals over past issues.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Unfortunately you will find many people who love the Bailey and many that don't it is much the same for all makes of Motorhomes as build quality can be hit and miss even on some of the more prestige (also read expensive here) ones, spend any time on this forum and you will find posts about issues with almost all makes both British and European.

I can only speak for my own experience which is of the Bailey Autograph 79/6 which I purchased new back in 2017, I have been very lucky in that whilst I have had a few issues with the van in the early months all of them have been fixed with no quibble under the warranty probably the worst issue I had (other than the sun roof whistling issue that I have previously mentioned and that was fixed) was with my view on the finish to the sealant lines on some areas of the exterior (no leaks it just looked a poor finish to me) the dealer had it back and re done all areas I highlighted (and some I had missed) without any question and when I had an issue with the water level indicator it was again replaced within a matter of weeks (I did have a problem with the charger unit but as I easily fixed that myself I didn't consider it major though others may think otherwise, I am positive that had I taken it up with my dealer it would have been fixed by replacing the unit under warranty which would have been a 10 minute job for their workshop people).

I realise that some customers have been less fortunate than I was but also that many others have had similar experience to myself, do I think there are better Motorhomes out there, of course there are equally do I think there are cheaper ones than the Autograph then again the answer is yes, however do I believe there are better value for money ones (comparing what you get to what you pay) then I sincerely believe the list would be extremely small.

if I had over 100 grand sitting around desperate to be spent then I would probably go with a more upmarket model but to get a brand new 6 berth MH with Alde heating, full leather interior seating, 2 TV media pack etc etc etc for 55 grand was imho more than reasonable value for money.

When I originally purchased my Bailey it was our first ever MH (we had only previously used Hotels abroad and tents in UK) and our original intention was to use it for 2 years to see if motorhoming was for us and then upgrade to a "better" make and model however after 2 years we were so content with our purchase that we decided to stick with what we got as it met our needs perfectly

Mar 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just popped into my local motorhome dealership workshop (Alan Kerr) and this was the conversation-

(Me) my vehicle is booked in for may 10th for another kitchen blind (3rd) and I need to mention the whistling from the cab overhead screen at about 50mph.
(Receptionist smiling) Is it a bailey?
(Me) Yes it is, you seem unsurprised.
(Receptionist) It's a common thing with these but don't worry we have plenty of new rubbers in stock. I'll put you down for a new one when you bring it in.
Hmm? They're always very happy to help but why don't they just change them out before the sale. When I got the van I only did 17 miles and the engine warning light came on. They took it in and it was a known update that also should have been done before the sale.

Feb 3, 2017
Stevenage
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
I wish you were in Hertfordshire near me because our dealer is flipping useless....!!!!!@ . %@%%$##. That translates in to swearing..
Hi Justyn
Is your comment regarding servicing or after sales/warranty issues?
I'm booked in with a Hitchin based dealer for the first time for a Hab and Cab Service (always used Beck's before who were brilliant) and wonder if your issues were "Hitchin based"? 🤔😁
Tia for any info / advice..
John

Tribord360

Free Member
May 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Hi All,
New to the forum but came across this thread.
We bought a new 79-6 last year with great timing!

1. On delivery I took for a spin down the motorway and was amazed at the whistling from over cab sunroof. Fixed by pulling down on the catches and ensuring the swivel catch goes under the fixed part. Not in the middle but under. There is a bevel there so I assumed that was correct. Anyway silence!

2. The 12 v habitation failed. Nothing worked. After many emails to dealer and the electric company that design for Bailey we found that the solar panel was giving power through the 30amp s were running through the 15 amp blade. There are different plugs on the ends of the leisure battery cables so this shouldn't happen. But if the installer fits the wrong plugs to the wrong cables.......... If you have a Bailey switch on the 12v and pull the 15amp fuse. It's under the rearmost seat in dining area. If hab lights go out you have same problem.

3. The corroded rear lamp surrounds. Replaced by dealer but I have left them off. The led lamps are a sealed unit and the surrounds would corrode again.

I can send photos of above if any one needs help.

Best wishes
Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back