New Bailey Autograph 79-4T problems (1 Viewer)

DaveH46

Free Member
Jul 9, 2016
Derbyshire UK
Funster No
MH
C Class low line
Exp
I took delivery of our new Bailey 79-T a fortnight ago and so have now had chance to snag it properly.
Overall the van seems quite well made, but there are quality control problems evident.

So far the list is as follows:-
1) van came fitted with the wrong soft furnishings and trim (headboard panels) Despite ordering 'Grosvener' trim, the van came kitted out with the 'Berkley' trim. To add insult to injury, the build docket in the kitchen drawer was clearly emblazoned with our name and 'Grosvener'.

2) in addition to the wrong trim material, one of the bedroom headboard panels was fitted the wrong way round...two panels with the pattern horizontal, one with it vertical !!!
Another coup for their "Blunkett Charles and Wonder" quality control team.....

3) Water tank .. does not overflow when filled. This leads to the tank eventually getting enough pressure inside to force water out past the hose and level sensor seals in the top of the tank. I have seen several similar threads from owners with this problem. Looking inside the tank with a borescope reveals that there is what appears to be an overflow boss in the offside left corner of the tank so it's either blocked or has not been drilled out/connected up. It's a toss up between fitting a properly engineered vent to the top of the tank myself or trusting the YTS lads at the dealers to pull the tank out, disturb all the insulation etc. and look for a solution.

4) Horrendous whistling noise from the overcab skylight over 50mph ...have carefully realigned seals and catches and will see if it still does it when I take it out later today....

5) USB charger over hab door not working - a quick removal of the control panel gives access to the wiring at the rear... it had been fitted with the +ive and -ive connections the wrong way round ! - now sorted !

6) Solar controller not working properly - the connection to the hab battery has two red wires instead of just one as fitted to the other terminals. These had been crudely stripped and twisted together to make a 'single' wire, the diameter of which is much too thick to be properly inserted into the screw terminal. Despite the terminal being fully tightened, the wires were just 'resting' in the unit and not screwed into the terminal. Wires properly mated together to a reasonable diameter and all is now working as it should.

Nothing too horrendous at he moment, but why these simple things escape notice is beyond me in this day and age....

The dealer has the correct trim panels on order by the way... simple job to swap over..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
@DaveH46 lucky you are able to carry out the fixes to correct some of the problems but many out there buying a new van could not and would have to tolerate problems until the dealer corrected them.
Good luck and hope your new mohome serves you well from now on .

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I wouldn't have the knowledge to do what you have done to correct the faults you have described and would have to wait for the workshop to do them and in my experience that takes months to get an appointment.
Months that I would have to live with the faults. Not good!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
There is a new rubber trim for the skylight available from Bailey.

OP
OP
D

DaveH46

Free Member
Jul 9, 2016
Derbyshire UK
Funster No
MH
C Class low line
Exp
Hi Wyn,
The motorhome is back in storage at the moment so I can't check... I can't remember this happening on ours, but don't know if the battery master and/or light switch was turned on whilst we have been travelling.
I do know that when the lights are turned on at the panel that the three downlighters illuminate regardless of whether they were switched off or not before... This has been a problem for another member on the forum who has had isolation switches fitted to the lights...(easy to do and would also solve your problem.)
Personally it's not a big problem for me and might even prove useful in darker months... Its easy to find the master light switch in the dark!... I'll check regarding the ignition off activation and repost when I'm next at the van.

Gorm-man

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
We have a 79-4T purchased new June 2017. We like the layout and in particular we like the space provided for eating, stitting and relaxing. It was the best vehicle at meeting our selection criteria of all the motor homes that we looked at. The external rear storage area was also a real bonus having moved from a campervan to motorhome. However, the quality of finish is very poor with 16 faults that had to be resolved by the dealer following a lengthy written complaint to Bailey. This company clearly has no quality assurance system in place. Great design, but poor build quality. Problems include upper locker doors opening whilst travelling with one falling off, drawer unit falling off, external locker door catches falling off, heating system not fully working as it was full of air and no indication as to where the bleed points are, internal lights switching themselves on and off. Bailey were quick to reply to my complaint and agreed to the dealer repairing the faults. Nevertheless I have had to return the vehicle to the dealer on two occasions which required as two day round trip each time. Just getting ready for the 2018 season and find a problem with the water pump despite completely draining down the water system. The pump is located under the floor on the outside of the vehicle, access by crawling under the vehicle. The Whale website makes it clear that the pump must be fixed vertically and this one is fixed horizontally. It is almost impossible to clear the system of air so once again I am having to return to the dealer. We are very disappointed at all the problems that we are having with this vehicle as seasoned caravaners, campervaners and now motor homers we have never has so many problems with a new vehicle. This is a great design, spoiled completely by poor build and poor finish quality.

Tinny vinny

Free Member
Apr 26, 2018
Funster No
I took delivery of our new Bailey 79-T a fortnight ago and so have now had chance to snag it properly.
Overall the van seems quite well made, but there are quality control problems evident.

1) van came fitted with the wrong soft furnishings and trim (headboard panels) Despite ordering 'Grosvener' trim, the van came kitted out with the 'Berkley' trim. To add insult to injury, the build docket in the kitchen drawer was clearly emblazoned with our name and 'Grosvener'.

2) in addition to the wrong trim material, one of the bedroom headboard panels was fitted the wrong way round...two panels with the pattern horizontal, one with it vertical !!!

3) Water tank .. does not overflow when filled. This leads to the tank eventually getting enough pressure inside to force water out past the hose and level sensor seals in the top of the tank. I have seen several similar threads from owners with this problem. Looking inside the tank with a borescope reveals that there is what appears to be an overflow boss in the offside left corner of the tank so it's either blocked or has not been drilled out/connected up. It's a toss up between fitting a properly engineered vent to the top of the tank myself or trusting the YTS lads at the dealers to pull the tank out, disturb all the insulation etc. and look for a solution.

4) Horrendous whistling noise from the overcab skylight over 50mph ...have carefully realigned seals and catches and will see if it still does it when I take it out later today....

5) USB charger over hab door not working - a quick removal of the control panel gives access to the wiring at the rear... it had been fitted with the +ive and -ive connections the wrong way round ! - now sorted !

6) Solar controller not working properly - the connection to the hab battery has two red wires instead of just one as fitted to the other terminals. These had been crudely stripped and twisted together to make a 'single' wire, the diameter of which is much too thick to be properly inserted into the screw terminal. Despite the terminal being fully tightened, the wires were just 'resting' in the unit and not screwed into the terminal. Wires properly mated together to a reasonable diameter and all is now working as it should.

Nothing too horrendous at he moment, but why these simple things escape notice is beyond me in this day and age....

The dealer has the correct trim panels on order by the way... simple job to swap over..[/QUOT

Tinny vinny

Free Member
Apr 26, 2018
Funster No
I purchased the bailey 79 4 t in may last year, this is my 3rd bailey motorhome, yes they are good value and well kitted out, but, my first one was in 2013 newst 2017, one thing that is frustrateing more than anything is, as stated by others here, the lacking of quality control, if it actually exists at bailey. They let themselves down over quality.
Would i purchase another one, if i go abroad eventually with it , NO, in uk, reluctantly

Justyn HARRIS

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Luton UK and Barenton Normandy France
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-

The dealer has the correct trim panels on order by the way... simple job to swap over..
Well I find it very concerning about the number of issues with my Bailey Autograph 79 4 T.
The build quality is disgusting!!.. I can't wait for a nec show to go and vent my dissatisfaction with Bailey .. it's not the dealership fault.. they didn't build them!.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi Justyn HARRIS sorry to hear about your problems, I have owned the 79-6 version since 2017 and other than a few minor issues (that were all sorted under warranty) have loved using the van for 4 seasons now.

Did you manage to get your issues sorted by your dealer as like I mentioned our dealer has so far sorted every problem we had under warranty without any questions

Justyn HARRIS

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Hi it seems to take my dealer a lot longer than I'm happy with.. the frustrating thing is I'm skilled to rectify any faults myself.. however then it's a warranty voiding issue..
I've just today had the habitation check today OMG. Not very good for a vehicle not yet 3years old. So warranty repair again...
No impressed with it at all. I must have the worse one made..
Next step is handing it back to Bailey with my solicitor's phone number..

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi it seems to take my dealer a lot longer than I'm happy with.. the frustrating thing is I'm skilled to rectify any faults myself.. however then it's a warranty voiding issue..
I've just today had the habitation check today OMG. Not very good for a vehicle not yet 3years old. So warranty repair again...
No impressed with it at all. I must have the worse one made..
Next step is handing it back to Bailey with my solicitor's phone number..
Nope 46 faults 3 years of heartache ordered a German van .

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years

I take it its not a new Autograph?
The two variants of trim are Farringdon and Portabello. The Farringdon is the cream one that they also used in the 2nd generation Autograph and the Portabello is the new Grey one.
If anyone with a Bailey is struggling with warranty issues, I will take over the warranty.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Simon-Alan Kerr Its not a new Autograph.Have you noticed that the original post was in 2017 and the OP has not been seen since july 2019
And this is the problem with Fun and Stella when combined!!!!
How are you both? Are you staying well???

Justyn HARRIS

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
I take it its not a new Autograph?
The two variants of trim are Farringdon and Portabello. The Farringdon is the cream one that they also used in the 2nd generation Autograph and the Portabello is the new Grey one.
If anyone with a Bailey is struggling with warranty issues, I will take over the warranty.
I wish you were in Hertfordshire near me because our dealer is flipping useless....!!!!!@ . %@%%$##. That translates in to swearing..

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not put off by problems as i believe almost all new vans will have them in one form or other.
If Bailey can do a configuration we want we will deffo consider it.
The 79-4T is very close to what we will be wanting.
Do Bailey do anything larger than the 79. Has to be twin beds not less than 28" (we are not fat just like room) or island bed not less than 5ft.?

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Not put off by problems as i believe almost all new vans will have them in one form or other.
If Bailey can do a configuration we want we will deffo consider it.
The 79-4T is very close to what we will be wanting.
Do Bailey do anything larger than the 79. Has to be twin beds not less than 28" (we are not fat just like room) or island bed not less than 5ft.?
They do the 81-6 but it’s an end lounge but you could use it as 2 singles with the options of making it into a big double for special occasions and birthdays 😂

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
They do the 81-6 but it’s an end lounge but you could use it as 2 singles with the options of making it into a big double for special occasions and birthdays 😂
Yes saw that one. Not sure it would work for us. Want 2x2 seats sofas in the main lounge area.
Looking on the interweb at the mo. When we get back the physical search will start.
If i were to send you our requirements would you want to have a look to see what you may have or know of?
Thanks.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Don't you be offloading anyone elses Adamo ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
We've had our 794-T since 2018 from new. Again, some 'issues' with build quality as with others. Two words to our new owners. 'FELT PADS'. Buy a multi-pack of 200 and stick 'em everywhere. LOL. I think I've now cured all of the squeaks and rattles. I've binned the Bailey supplied mattresses and replaced them with some 20cm thick memory foam ones and the difference is wonderful.
Don't be surprised if you rip off the grey waste drain pipework at some point too.. my next project is 'pumped grey waste' as the flow rate from the grey waste tank is ..... ...... ..... ...... slow.

I'm really pleased with it tho, its as close to a large caravan with a motor on the front as you can get IMO.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We've had our 794-T since 2018 from new. Again, some 'issues' with build quality as with others. Two words to our new owners. 'FELT PADS'. Buy a multi-pack of 200 and stick 'em everywhere. LOL. I think I've now cured all of the squeaks and rattles. I've binned the Bailey supplied mattresses and replaced them with some 20cm thick memory foam ones and the difference is wonderful.
Don't be surprised if you rip off the grey waste drain pipework at some point too.. my next project is 'pumped grey waste' as the flow rate from the grey waste tank is ..... ...... ..... ...... slow.

I'm really pleased with it tho, its as close to a large caravan with a motor on the front as you can get IMO.
On my short list to have a good look see when we get back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back