New Bailey Adamo Motorhome Launch. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Jenka when you say you know a few people with damp issues in the floor of Autographs the obvious reply is that most of us in the community could say the same of just about every make of Motorhome both British or European built I have an Autograph and have no such issue nor do any of the people i have met who also have Autographs. I have no doubt there are some out there with damp issues but no more than any other British or European brand as far as I am aware. I do note you have an Autograph yourself, have you had issues yourself I would be interested know as it adds to any info I have on the brand as a whole.

I do not claim that Bailey is perfect or any better than any other brand (though I do feel that it does give good value for its price point) I may have been lucky with my van but i have met many people who also feel equally lucky and do feel that comments like this just feed the obvious replies from the All things British is rubbish brigade.

I'm the same with Auto Trail, I've heard all the stories and poked around some of the evidence as I've done over the years with all of the manufacturers but having worked previously for a consumer magazine found that they were no worse than any other.

We're on our third Auto Trail and have never had any issue with any of them, granted the second was preloved but there was no evidence in the reams of paperwork we received to suggest that the previous owner had any problems.

What I would highlight in regard to Bailey, for now, is their Just In Time build method which seems a little rushed and cramped at times. the walls, roof, & floor are built off site before delivery to Prima Leisure and this has caused an issue or two in the past... Of course just as we see with their competitors, systems evolve and improve.
On this point Auto Trail jumped in with both feet, financially aided by their parent companies desire to build multiple brands at the Grimsby plant. Trigano invested heavily and now they can boast to having one of Europe's most advanced motorhome production facilities. It's very similar to their facility in the Rhone Valley which build's their original and very popular Challenger branded motorhomes and Chausson.

There's now talk of U.K. specific Chausson coachbuilds being assembled on the Grimsby production lines to enable Trigano to increase production in France.

Although I'm disappointed overall with Bailey's new product, yes there are a couple of nice touches but overall there's nothing unique about them and they're simply too heavy to justify permanent travel seats & 4 berths.
I'm pleased to see them have the confidence to include a further chassis option and step away from the rapidly aging SEVEL platform rather than choose the easy path and opt for the unremarkable Ducato simply to begin to offer customers and auto box option in a similar way to Auto Sleeper...It's a leap for them especially as they've only been in the motor caravan market for 9 years.

Their next step for me would be expansion, they need a larger production facility rather than fabricate off site allowing them to construct their caravans and motorhomes on separate production lines.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi Jenka no worries, sorry if I sounded a bit curt, I never meant too come over that way I just sometimes find that there are a selection of posters (I do not include you in this group) on here who glorify in Brit bashing at every opportunity (some of them are actually well informed and very helpful in every other area of motorhoming but just have to have a dig at the British industry for some reason).

I think the reason why they only test the floor for damp is because there is no wood used in the wall or roof construction and the materials that are used would not give a usable reading or be affected by damp (that's a rough recall of what the workshop guy told me).
Hi Gerby ,No worries I have had 12 products from Bailey and this includes Caravans,and I think this thread caught me on a bad day as I have just left a Peugeot dealer in Munich €1500 lighter (the dealer has kindly submitted a good will claim )as the Adblu pump failed I cheers .

IslandApe

Free Member
Jun 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Net yet!
Exp
Next year I hope
I've added a bit more to the post... but so far none of the British Ford chassis based coachbuilds have the option to go heavier. The Roller Team Transits are the same and if i'm not mistaken it's not an option for Chausson or Benimar either.

Here's a cutting from the 2019 Chausson brochure, it is possible - assuming the brochure's right of course. However, if you look at the Ford Transit brochure then, in the UK at least you can't get auto with the heavy chassis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 16.03.06.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 16.03.06.png
    65 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Here's a cutting from the 2019 Chausson brochure, it is possible - assuming the brochure's right of course. However, if you look at the Ford Transit brochure then, in the UK at least you can't get auto with the heavy chassis.

Yes some of the Chausson & Challenger motorhomes (they're identical) are built on a heavier chassis but they don't up plate the 3500KG to say 3850KG in a similar way to how Fiat do it to their "light" base. With Ford it's a different product.

Since May 2020 The Ford Transit got a 10 speed auto box option for their 350 chassis RWD. The 470 chassis only offers 2 diesel options none offer an auto box.

Another interesting point in regard to Bailey's Adamo, it seems to be powered by the older 160 bhp engine designed by PSA rather than the newer 170 bhp.

Since the facelift in 2019 Ford no longer offer the engine so I'd be interested to know where the chassis cabs where sourced.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
They did say on the launch 170 BHP. So do you think this is an end of line model perhaps Bailey brought a job lot ? I remember years ago at the end of a model Ford would add extras foc

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
Just got the latest What Motorhome and was prompted to have a quick look at the Adamo....on the face of it, a pretty good effort from Bailey...
nice (innovitave for a UK company) layouts, well executed interiors where their designers are starting to take notice of the better elements of Continental design.
HOWEVER, just a few seconds on the website will eliminate them from the savvy Moterhomer's wish list....
Why, lack of payload and no (easy) upgrade path.

heres the gen on the 75-4l

MTPLM 3500kg
MRO 3148kg more info (see below)
Payload 352kg

heres the 'more info' ..... Essential Habitation Equipment
Within the quoted MRO figure there is an allowance made for 'essential habitation equipment' which consists of the following:

- Vehicle driver = 75kg
- 90% fuel tank capacity = 81kg
- One full gas bottle = 14 kgs
- Fluids in ALDE heating system (when fitted) = 10kg

The MRO is calculated with the fresh water tank empty. It is not recommended that you travel with water in the fresh water tank but if you chose to do so then our available payload will reduce accordingly.

so, as many, many MHers DO choose to drive with a proper level of water with them (see Jim Thread) where are we with a full 100 ltr tank and the good lady aboard......352kg - 175kg = 177kg.......oops!

now this is becomes the starting position prior to adding bikes (nice garages in these, but can they be used?) bedding, clothes, electrical items, food, maps, books, chairs, tables, 2 gas bottle, levellers, hoses, water carriers, boots, pots, pans, cutlery, crockery etc, etc....

even travelling with an empty tank (277kg) will make this a mightily difficult van to tour as many prefer to do...

a nice van, but any 7.5m van with belts for 4 will be very hard to manage when all four seets are occupied....in this case that would be another 150kg off the 177kg before the two extra folk loaded any of their gear.....just not viable IMV.

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Just got the latest What Motorhome and was prompted to have a quick look at the Adamo....on the face of it, a pretty good effort from Bailey...
nice (innovitave for a UK company) layouts, well executed interiors where their designers are starting to take notice of the better elements of Continental design.
HOWEVER, just a few seconds on the website will eliminate them from the savvy Moterhomer's wish list....
Why, lack of payload and no (easy) upgrade path.

heres the gen on the 75-4l

MTPLM 3500kg
MRO 3148kg more info (see below)
Payload 352kg

heres the 'more info' ..... Essential Habitation Equipment
Within the quoted MRO figure there is an allowance made for 'essential habitation equipment' which consists of the following:

- Vehicle driver = 75kg
- 90% fuel tank capacity = 81kg
- One full gas bottle = 14 kgs
- Fluids in ALDE heating system (when fitted) = 10kg

The MRO is calculated with the fresh water tank empty. It is not recommended that you travel with water in the fresh water tank but if you chose to do so then our available payload will reduce accordingly.

so, as many, many MHers DO choose to drive with a proper level of water with them (see Jim Thread) where are we with a full 100 ltr tank and the good lady aboard......352kg - 175kg = 177kg.......oops!

now this is becomes the starting position prior to adding bikes (nice garages in these, but can they be used?) bedding, clothes, electrical items, food, maps, books, chairs, tables, 2 gas bottle, levellers, hoses, water carriers, boots, pots, pans, cutlery, crockery etc, etc....

even travelling with an empty tank (277kg) will make this a mightily difficult van to tour as many prefer to do...

a nice van, but any 7.5m van with belts for 4 will be very hard to manage when all four seets are occupied....in this case that would be another 150kg off the 177kg before the two extra folk loaded any of their gear.....just not viable IMV.

Totally agree, travel seats, drop down bed, dinette etc should be customer cost options. Together they weigh approx 130kg.
They're not even using Ford's newest engines either which have been around over a year now. They've opted for the older 160hp which when combined with the auto box adds another 39kg. Ford's new 130hp when combined with the auto box doesn't take anything off your payload and it has more pull that Fiats new 160hp.

Our AT F70 which can also be a four berth but without the travel seats came in at 2866kg when weighed prior to delivery to the dealership... 130hp & 6 speed auto with all the base vehicle options.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Just found out you cannot fit a towbar to any of these new Transit Chassis based vans. Surely going to be a bit of a show stopper for a lot of people and a poor selling point once second hand?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just found out you cannot fit a towbar to any of these new Transit Chassis based vans. Surely going to be a bit of a show stopper for a lot of people and a poor selling point once second hand?
I don't know I bet it's only 5 or 10% who have one fitted.

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I've spoken to Paul Howe of Auto Trail directly and they offer a swan neck tow bar on their Transit F line range. £650 and 30kg off your payload.

Cost option drop down bed £900 - 50kg & cost option dinette plus 2 travel seats £825 - 25kg.
Rear corner steady's and pleated blinds have recently been added to the options to their Fords too. The former £160 - 10kg and the latter £590.

Their 3000kg MIRO is to cover their own liability, as many advocate, a trip to a weighbridge is essential.
Our F70 weighed 2886kg on delivery with both option packs (£1500 Drivers pack & £1400 Lux pack) and auto box fitted (£1740). Rear garage recommendation is 150kg without a bike rack.
There's no need to opt for the 170 bhp motor as the 130 is first rate with more pull than Fiats new 160 bhp.

Overall my point being that the customer makes the choice on what they do or don't want rather than Bailey telling you what you get and payload be damned.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
The problem with a third party fitting a tow bar to an Adamo is it might void the warranty as Bailey have been specific in stating one cannot be fitted?

ian_provo

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Premium 640
Exp
The new Adamo models don't come with an awning/canopy. Is there anything (payload apart) that would prevent one from being fitted?

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The new Adamo models don't come with an awning/canopy. Is there anything (payload apart) that would prevent one from being fitted?
Roof mounted, none at all. If you want one side wall mounted I'd be wary of the gap above the midships and rear habitation windows on the 69-4 & 75-4I.

Two things to note... the Adamo appears to be fitted with the older PSA 160hp Duratorq Puma engine rather than Fords newer EcoBlue Essex 130 or 170hp variant. I'd check with a Ford dealer but I believe the PSA unit is only Euro 5.

The auto gearbox is just that, it's fitted with a torque converter rather than being a robotised electronic manual such as what you find in the pre 2020 Ducato's.

SuperRed

Free Member
Mar 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Went to look at an Adamo today and was shocked at the lack of quality on a near £60K motorhome. If thats what is on offer I think I will stick with a caravan.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Went to look at an Adamo today and was shocked at the lack of quality on a near £60K motorhome. If thats what is on offer I think I will stick with a caravan.
They are towards the budget end of the market, even the better vans aren't so good these days driven by weight saving to try and get vans usable at 3.5t.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
Do you have a Bailey caravan by any chance...it's a common thing for those looking to leave caravans to go immediately to 'their' company for a MH...Swift, Bailey etc as they 'feel at home'.
As Lenny says, there are some flimsy lightweight vans out there (but also some damn good ones) but not from Swift or Bailey...

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Interested as to where you looked at one in lockdown

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting, I looked at them pre launch and thought the fit and finish was better than good for the price band, as an example, you'll find a lot more bare wiring in a Swift 10k more expensive which is off putting and annoying.

With the Adamo I was just disappointed that you can't pick & choose your options in order to give yourself more payload and a bit more money in your pocket, choice is key in this very competitive sector. Why would a couple want a 4 berth van and fitted Aguti travel seats if they'll never be used? Simple, they wouldn't, they'll just look elsewhere... and they're not fitted with Fords most current power unit which again is a negative for me, although the Ford cab and driver aids are still light years ahead of the SEVEL platforms as again many of their chassis cabs used in some of the lower priced A class' such as Itineo are still using pre facelift dashboards - no centre cup holders or steering wheel controls for your media or telephone - but they still charge the current price when sold.

I have a question... how did you get into the dealers as they're all supposed to be closed until 12th April?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back