New awning, difficult fit (1 Viewer)

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
As some of you may remember. I've been really struggling to get an awning fitted to my Globecar mainly due to the factory fitted "Style rails" on the roof. Well at long last it was done and we're really happy with the result. Must have had 20 companies say it couldn't be done....but it was. Ha Ha
Simon
View media item 22772View media item 22771

OP
OP
Lost Sun

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
I persuaded my local Caravan dealership (Tamar Caravans) to do it but I found the necessary parts after an long email exchange with Fiamma technical in Italy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As some of you may remember. I've been really struggling to get an awning fitted to my Globecar mainly due to the factory fitted "Style rails" on the roof. Well at long last it was done and we're really happy with the result. Must have had 20 companies say it couldn't be done....but it was. Ha Ha
Simon
View media item 22772View media item 22771
Interested to know how you find the van side attachments for the legs. We have them but not fitted. The sides of the van seem so flimsy I would be afraid to use them. Handy when you want a little shade on the side of the van for a short time.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
STOP!! Stop now!!!!! Take it orff that cant be done :doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
STOP!! Stop now!!!!! Take it orff that cant be done :doh:
Calm down Geo.......you haven't seen HOW it was fitted.

10315300-old-hammer-and-nails-on-wood-background.jpg

OP
OP
Lost Sun

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
The main stumbling block was that everyone including Globecar dealers wanted to remove the style rail and fit an F65s
Idiots

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Where there is a will there is always a way, well done Simon for sticking em out
John those nails had better be Galvanised , cant be doin with bodge jobs

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you look on the Fiamma store website they sell a bracket which will take both the rails and a F65 awning.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If you sat on the other side of the van you’d have been in the shade...would have saved a fortune!;););)

OP
OP
Lost Sun

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
If you look on the Fiamma store website they sell a bracket which will take both the rails and a F65 awning.
That's what we thought but the technical department in italy and also Possil disagree in the case of our specific van.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you haven't already invest in some tie down straps
We never have the owning out fully without pegging down

100% agree, I would also advise to only use with legs on the ground, using when on wall brackets can damage the van wall or awning.. every time someone enters or leaves the van it rocks, straining the wall bracket and legs.. ...

wall brackets are useful for extending the awning a couple of feet on hard standings, but it only takes a small gust of wind to have them over the roof.. damage can be extensive to both awing and van.. seen it often, lovely day, no sign of wind .. then from nowhere.. whoosh.. where did that come from, too late..

Using wall brackets the legs are also a hazard for walking into.. I never use ours and never leave awing out at night or when leaving the van unattended.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Interested to know how you find the van side attachments for the legs. We have them but not fitted. The sides of the van seem so flimsy I would be afraid to use them. Handy when you want a little shade on the side of the van for a short time.
Probably need a large metal plate on inside of van to screw side attachments into as well - to spread the load so it doesn't strain the metal on side of van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back