New Autocruise Alto, based in Devon (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Hi all,

Recently joined the forum, as we've just bought our first campervan - a 2013 Autocruise Alto, which we're looking forwards to collecting in a couple of weeks!

We've been looking into campers a lot over the last 3 years or so - started looking at much older models (old 1998-2000 Autosleeper Symbol/Harmony - great use of space!) and also seriously looked at converting our own van as a project - lots of detailed planning and costings done there - but finally, after a couple of trips in a rented van to help figure out exactly what we wanted, we found something with a size and layout similar to that we had planned - the Alto!

Looking forward to picking it up in a couple of weeks - have already spent the last couple of weeks looking into (and purchasing) various security items, couple of upgrades, etc, and look forward to the next few years upgrading from a tent!

We're based in Devon, and aside from general trips away with my other half, I've also been looking for a van I can use on my own for scuba diving trips - the space under the fixed bed of the Alto is perfect for a couple of waterproof boxes to store wet kit away safely, both whilst travelling and camping. The Tribute 669 we hired, was great for living in, but didnt' really have any space suitable for the amount of dive kit I end up needing to take on those trips!

1620305888171.png

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome
We looked at the Alto and really like it, but when we changed there were none around, still love what we have now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Welcome to the madhouse known as Fun😉
I have had an Alto since 2013 and bought it for 2 reasons - fixed bed and storage. Have added bits over the years but still like it. For me the only downside is the seating - if I was buying again I would want a small bench up front rather than the upright seatbelt travelling seats.
Enjoy .

OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Hello and welcome
We looked at the Alto and really like it, but when we changed there were none around, still love what we have now
It's amazing how many different layouts there are, and how everyone has completely different requirements.

Yep, we weren't even specifically looking to buy, when we bought this one a week ago. We were down in Cornwall on our second trip in the hire van, we'd been looking around to find a fixed-bed van to view 'in person' to see if we liked it as much in reality as we did in the photos, but each one advertised locally was selling before we were able to arrange a viewing. Took a quick look one evening to see what was available near where we were staying, just on the off-chance, and went to view this one with no real intention to buy!

When we saw it, not only was the layout better than expected, but we realised that the specific van we were looking at seemed pretty good too - condition, mileage, service history, etc, plus it was previously owned by the landlord of the pub at the end of the village we used to live in....

Had a serious think about it back at the campsite that evening, did some research and went back for a more serious viewing and test drive the following day. As the van we'd hired wasbased on the same Ducato as the one we were viewing, it was great to jump out of the less-than-a-year-old van we'd been driving for a week and into an 8-year old version, as it really felt no different and so clearly is running and driving well, etc.

So, wasn't specifically looking for an Alto, just a fixed-bed to view, but the one we bought seems to be better than all the others around which were cheaper - and the only "better" or newer ones were significantly more money, and much further away, so we're really happy (so far!) with the one we've found.

OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Welcome to the madhouse known as Fun😉
I have had an Alto since 2013 and bought it for 2 reasons - fixed bed and storage. Have added bits over the years but still like it. For me the only downside is the seating - if I was buying again I would want a small bench up front rather than the upright seatbelt travelling seats.
Enjoy .
Good to hear! Yes, the amount of storage compared to the Tribute we hired is significant - we intend to remove the microwave at some point and convert the space into another cupboard as well.

The conversion we planned to build ourselves had a front bench facing sideways initially - with the intention that it would pull out to make a bed there, a little like the old AutoSleeper harmony/symphony layout - or even the single bed in the Alto. However when we hired the Tribute we realised we really liked the swivel seats sitting around the table, etc, and the seats in the Alto, whilst very upright, still seemed more comfortable for 'camping' (perhaps not for travelling?) than those in the Tribute.

That said, whilst it's nice to have the option of additional travelling seats, it wasn't one of our requirements - so unlikely we'll have anyone travelling in those seats on a regular basis.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi and welcome to the fun house! 🤪

I assume this is your new baby? Looks lovely and an automatic too which is a big bonus.

We had an Autocruise Accent (2012), it was a great camper and we had very little in the way of issues with it. We only changed it as we wanted a 'proper' fixed bed rather than a rear dinette which we left converted as a bed but it made getting at the stuff underneath difficult (it also had a half dinette up front) and also a bit more space for us and our 2 small dogs and one heffalump too so went for a longer version at 6.36m (the Accent was 6m).

May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Hi JimmE,

Small world: I'm also new here, I'm also in Devon, and I picked up my (also 2013!) Autocruise Rhythm only a couple of weeks ago, so a similar van (Rhythm has the long double-bench/bed arrangement at the back). Still very much getting to know her! Our earlier plan was also thinking about older Symbol/Harmony models as well, but we ended up opting for something newer instead. I hope you have fun in yours!

OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I assume this is your new baby? Looks lovely and an automatic too which is a big bonus.

Heh, yes that’s the one. We weren’t specifically looking for an auto but a nice bonus, and if we do ever decide to change the van in the future, likely to help hold its value.

Yes, the newer Altos are also based on the 6.4m van - we were specifically looking for a 6m initially (though coming round to the idea of 6.4!) so really pleased to have found this when we did.

OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Hi JimmE,

Small world: I'm also new here, I'm also in Devon, and I picked up my (also 2013!) Autocruise Rhythm only a couple of weeks ago, so a similar van (Rhythm has the long double-bench/bed arrangement at the back). Still very much getting to know her! Our earlier plan was also thinking about older Symbol/Harmony models as well, but we ended up opting for something newer instead. I hope you have fun in yours!
Sounds good - and sounds as though you had a similar approach to us! Enjoy - looking forward to collecting ours in a couple of weeks!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn

OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
So, we pick the van up from the dealer tomorrow. Think we’ve got most of the initial bits and pieces we’ll need - will figure out and acquire the rest as we go.

We’re then away for a week or so (without the van!) so aside from a couple of hours fettling, will have to go over it properly once we get back, then get away for a night or two!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back