New and looking for a bit of advice please (1 Viewer)

N2

Free Member
Mar 31, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

i converted a Renault Trafic into a camper van a few years ago and have loved every second of owning it. We have travelled all over Europe in it, but don’t usually stay overnight in it, preferring to use it as a day van and stay overnight in hotels as we prefer luxuries such as a toilet for an overnight stop, call me fussy!

Anyway, I’m now thinking of upgrading to a motorhome, which will be more usable for actually staying in. we are going to be restricted to a vehicle of less than 3500kg as I had my driving license revoked last year due to illness. Although I previously held HGV and PCV licenses, it looks like I will only be able to get a standard car license back. My wife is comfortable driving the Renault Trafic but doesn’t want to drive anything “too big”.

We are therefore looking at used compact coachbuilt motorhomes with a cash budget of around £40k. any tips on what to look for or avoid, and is it worth looking to buy one privately rather than through a dealer in order to get better value.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Hello and welcome. With your budget you should be able to finda nice used motorhome and there's a guide to buying in the resources section above, I think. As soon as you can i'd get along to a dealer with a choice of models so you can see what type of layout appeals to you.

We bought our motorhome privately eight years ago and saved about 15% on a similar model from a dealer. As long as you get a full recent habitation report to avoid the dreaded damp, you should be fine.

Good luck, and enjoy your new adventures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N2

N2

Free Member
Mar 31, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the replies. I visited 3As in Carmarthen today, the choice is incredible! There seem to be quite a few used Swift Escape compact models within my budget, size limit etc. as with everything, you don’t really know what you need until you’ve spent time in it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, I'm sure for your budget you'll get a decent van and don't rule out a PVC (panel van conversion) they will come fully fitted with the same as a coachbuilt just smaller.

The Swift Escape is used for rental quite often so ask that question if you're interested in one, they will be ok but my opinion is you'd get a better quality van for your money if a couple of years older.

Reactions: N2
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Hope that you find your perfect van

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
:hi2:;bigwelcome:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Good morning and welcome to the Fun house (or should that be mad house!😉).
I agree with lorger - don’t rule out a PVC, it’s what I have and I have everything I need to be self sufficient. Unfortunately this year demand is high and as a consequence so are prices, however you do have a healthy budget so I’m confident you will find something suitable.
Good luck with your search.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
:hiya2: Welcome to the fun, we have had bigger but the last two have been 6 meter panel van conversions Rapido and now Pilote, Janie has driven all C class A class towed trailers / caravans, but we are very happy with what we have, it has everything we want including a decent shower, and 6 meters makes travelling easy, 3500kg and speed along and drives like a car. 😁 Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back