New Aire-anyone fancy investing? (1 Viewer)

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm talking lorry loads not bulk bags, but try your local quarry if you've got a decent trailer. Bulk bags are such a ripoff
Bulk bags of gravel B&Q 790KGS just over £100
Better quality from the local quarry, 1000kgs £6! That'll be £94 for the bag then?

On topic maybe we should all send a message of congratulations for using their initiative and relevant input to this group!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
On topic maybe we should all send a message of congratulations for using their initiative and relevant input to this group!

I’m not entirely clear what you’re suggesting but part of what you’ve written could easily be considered to be condescending; I’m sure that wasn’t your intention though.

Ian

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Different ball game when its structural. Mot is about £10/tonne. Sounds like they're being too ambitious, does arisaig need bespoke parking for 30 mhs with facilities block? Cant they just re mark an existing car park? There's certainly scope for that here in Shrewsbury. Fair play for trying though.
If you can supply type 1 for £10 a ton you could earn a few Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like a good project. I've responded offering a contribution. :)

Those chewing over the costs of the project don't know it may be on an A road but it is single track in places with passing places and a long way from Jewsons. :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Sounds like a good project. I've responded offering a contribution. :)

Those chewing over the costs of the project don't know it may be on an A road but it is single track in places with passing places and a long way from Jewsons. :)
That’s the trouble with jobs a long way out, who ever is providing the transport will have a long way back empty before they can find another job, so will add more to the price to cover this.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
I think it's not really an investment more supporting the setting up of the Aire. It does make me wonder if I would be happy to invest then find no space if we went to visit!
Maybe investors get preference, bit like the rugby/tennis debentures give priority to purchase of tickets.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Maybe investors get preference, bit like the rugby/tennis debentures give priority to purchase of tickets.
Not a chance, how would they police that with a part time warden? It's not a campsite with strict rules. It's an aire, turn up and if there's space park up. Reserving space for absent investors would go against the whole community ethos.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Send me details where I can buy mot at £10 per tonne please.
My original point was that £250K is an awful lot of money for whats actually required and that MOT (which as you know is the main constituent is very cheap. I never realised there was such a difference in price but attached is the last ticket I collected behind the car at £12.14/tonne, whwn I last had some 8 wheeler it was for my daughters place so she had the ticket for her Vat claim and I paid slightly less so about £10 per tonne

Attachments

• pedantic twats photo.jpg
    pedantic twats photo.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 43

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Investment suggestions to me a potential return on capital, in this I see no evidence of due diligence to suggest anyone has a clue what they are doing.
No evidence of boast numbers or price point residence etc.
Very easy to produce figures without evidence to prove! Whatever you wish.
In short not a chance of me investing!

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
There would be a more likelyhood to indicate a willingnes to invest if the facilities block was not included. I fail to see what there is to gain with this installation. I think income would be unlikely to be effected by its absence and it would give the nearby campsite owners less of a reason to object to planning permission.
ezee

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I’m guessing the organisers are thinking of those travellers with vans that do not have toilet/washing facilities and would otherwise indiscriminately be shitting in the woods.!

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I wonder if an investment (or contribution) from MHF on behalf of all members might be an effective way to help the project along, as many of us want more aires and the support of the largest motorhome interest group would do much to encourage this initiative and others.

The MHF contribution/investment could be funded by asking for voluntary contributions from members to a central aires fund. £5/year from any willing members would raise a considerable sum which could be used to support community not-for-profit aire initiatives (not private commercial entities) and demonstrate that we, as users, want to do our part.

The fund could be administered on behalf of members by Jim (if he’s prepared) and a small group of other members on behalf of MHF.

I’d be very happy to contribute.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I’m guessing the organisers are thinking of those travellers with vans that do not have toilet/washing facilities and would otherwise indiscriminately be shitting in the woods.!
I wonder what percentage of vans that would be, I am guessing quite small?
ezee

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I wonder if an investment (or contribution) from MHF on behalf of all members might be an effective way to help the project along, as many of us want more aires and the support of the largest motorhome interest group would do much to encourage this initiative and others.

The MHF contribution/investment could be funded by asking for voluntary contributions from members to a central aires fund. £5/year from any willing members would raise a considerable sum which could be used to support community not-for-profit aire initiatives (not private commercial entities) and demonstrate that we, as users, want to do our part.

The fund could be administered on behalf of members by Jim (if he’s prepared) and a small group of other members on behalf of MHF.

I’d be very happy to contribute.
You can already donate to the Road to Isles fund here.
ezee

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
There would be a more likelyhood to indicate a willingnes to invest if the facilities block was not included. I fail to see what there is to gain with this installation. I think income would be unlikely to be effected by its absence and it would give the nearby campsite owners less of a reason to object to planning permission.
ezee

I responded expressing my interest and made this very point in my response to them.

The provision of a facilities block and EHU must form the bulk of the cost and, potentially, put the development at risk if insufficient funds are forthcoming. I suggested that they consider a Plan B in that event that limited consideration of only parking, water and waste provision.

Ian

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
You can already donate to the Road to Isles fund here.
ezee
Thanks Ezee, have already looked it up. It was doing so that made me wonder whether a group approach might be more effective for them, as well as others considering the same idea. If they knew that they could apply for support from a multi-million strong membership it would be win-win.

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Great idea for Communities to support Motorhomes/Campervans
But don't see the need for that spec .... chemical disposal - Waste bin & fresh water is all thats required for an 'Aire'.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
You may not be aware that the Women with Campervans group have over 21k members and many of them have small vans with no facilities!
That is 5 percent of the registrations. Just down the road Mallaig is providing full facilities.
ezee

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
And they don't tend to use campsites! Just saying! It's easy to make the assumption that because you have facilities most others also have them. In addition these ladies seem to mainly camp in UK while the 'posh' vans go abroad. Many have Bongos, classic VWs, Toyotas, Nissans etc and other small vans.
And of course I suspect that there are many many others out there who are not WWC members, so we don't know what percentage of the total they are... 21k could be a small proportion

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you can supply type 1 for £10 a ton you could earn a few Bob.
I pay 8€/tonne for sharp sand here.
Reminds me of 7 or ( years back doing a job here & buying cement at 1,94€/ 25 kg sack. Went to the Uk shortly after & had to do a job at the daughters in devon. Went for cement & exactly the same type & make, LaFarge, was over £6 /25kgs.I though the lad was joking.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I pay 8€/tonne for sharp sand here.
Reminds me of 7 or ( years back doing a job here & buying cement at 1,94€/ 25 kg sack. Went to the Uk shortly after & had to do a job at the daughters in devon. Went for cement & exactly the same type & make, LaFarge, was over £6 /25kgs.I though the lad was joking.
If someone lives practically on top of a quarry it would be cheaper as transport is big expense, but yes by and large it’s expensive in the Uk.

Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
Arisaig is a lovely spot but I cannot help thinking they are aiming too high. Think they should forget starting with a facilities block and only startup with waste disposal and fresh water. Are showers and washing machines really a requirement? Most of us pay campsites for this stopping for an extended period or shower in our vehicles.
ezee
Agree to some extent. We were there last Sept (after the big summer rush). Everywhere in Arisaig had "no motor home" parking signs up (we walked in from the CL). So they must have been swamped thru the summer.
Worth remembering that a lot of smaller vans don't have on board facilities so a toilet block would be useful, and, I guess if you're building that it's more cost effective to include the showers etc. to start with.
As they're aiming for one night stays they will be used by those that are passing through. The other campsites in the area tend to be people who are staying several days.
There has also been another initiative in the area to build new toilets at Traigh (completed) and facilities in Mallaig (in progress) - would be good if other parts of Scotland would have similar initiatives.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Funny place building new toilets but I read on the local news that the council was thinking of closing toilets on islay due to lack of funds. I guess it’s down to if people will pay.

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
Since 2019, caravans from 2010
I do wonder at times why this site attracts so much negativity at others suggestions. A Community Interest Company or Community Share Company have more hoops to jump through than any scam artist would ever complicate. I see nothing wrong in a community wishing to improve its offering to the public.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back