Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
hi guys well it's finally here our lovely new motor home sitting on the drive ready for our adventures , I do feel it's a bit vulnerable and open to the elements but as its it spring I feel it will be ok , my question is what about winter what do you do to protect it from bad weather and so on , look forward to hearing from you guys xx

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpg

Sure someone will come along to help you about Wintering - you can also use the Search button to find previous threads on the subject.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are leaving it for any length of time make sure all the waste tanks and the hot water boiler are drained and empty. Make sure the fuel tank is full (helps prevent condensation). Start it and run the engine every so often and move it so that the tyres are resting on a different spot. If it has a solar panel that should keep the batteries topped up otherwise put it on EHU from time to time.

Take out anything that a rodent might chew on or be attracted to - ALL food and we take the cushions and mattress out as well. We left ours on EHU and with a small stand alone electric heater inside when we weren't using it. And I got a de-humidifier from Aldi that I left inside.

Some people say strong smelling tumble drier sheet help put off rodents - I know they avoid onions!

I'm sure a lot of other people will add more words of wisdom (and maybe rubbish what I have written) :)

But the best plan is to go somewhere warm for the winter if you can.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
USE it and ENJOY it now and worry about washing and waxing when/if you put her to bed for the winter! (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Most popular answer on here is usually just get out & use it! We are still restricted to school holidays & the odd short weekend break so ours has been without tax (SORN) over the winter & covered with this http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/Motorhome-Covers_56719 & even the wheels with these http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/MP93680-MOTORHOME-WHEEL-COVER_88655-15833. We had caravans before & have tried with & without covers & know what damage not only the winter but what summer sun does so kept covered most of the time when not in use. With this Maypole cover we won't even have to wash off the motorhome after months of storage (still looks as if just washed :)) so although a bit of an art & effort to use the cover it saves hours of cleaning. Do use a garden spray with Bobby Dazzler to coat it after washing which helps keep it clean longer too (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back