New 4 lane motorway lane discipline. (2 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The bit that causes the most traffic jams on a motorway is merging traffic at an on-slip. By having a lane gain instead of a merge, it massively increases the throughput of a junction. And if a large proportion of people leave at that junction, what's wrong with a lane drop? And it has the added bonus that it's cheaper because your junction overbridges don't need to be as long.

It only works if the motorway has enough lanes to start with .The M25 never did. It was always overloaded to the extent you stopped completely at every junction where the inside lane went off due to to many not wanting to exit & attempting to change to lane 2 ,which wasn't possible as both 2 & 3 were packed solid. I drove it regularly in the 90's. It was 80mph one minute then dead stop to get past the lane off/on junction.
At the end of the day if they had listened to the expert at planning it should have been only on/offs at major junctions with all others being off only to prevent junction hoppers & the school run.

It's all well and good saying there are refuge points,
Laughable. Here at busy sections we have 'reguge ' points every 500m. Which is the least you need in the UK.
ok so you are on a three lane mway with two empty lanes to your right , it suddenly becomes a 4 lane and you can guarantee someone will immediately come up your inside as if to point out you should be there, when they could easily have overtaken you in the other two lanes. crazy
indicate & straight in to the lane. Upsets them (y)but then they are overtaking so it is their duty to manage the manoeuvre .

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
A838_-_Coppermine_-_20269.jpg
A lot of drivers can’t cope with one lane roads and not sure what to do when they meet oncoming traffic.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
indicate & straight in to the lane. Upsets them (y)but then they are overtaking so it is their duty to manage the manoeuvre .

Wouldn’t upset me as I’d think Ahh at last their brain has engaged.

I’d probably be past by the time they realised anyway ;):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

I think this might be the third time that I’ve stated that I remain grateful that you do most of your driving in a different country from me when you repeatedly spout such incorrect nonsense!

Ian

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
As someone who hates lane hogger's, especially those that are often tapping away at mobile phones.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but I would be happy for..

Lane Hog detection Cameras, BUT!
With Undertaking Detection

Or, just make it a bloody freeway. Let anyone undertake.

Like many of you, I drive all over western Europe. I think the driving standards have reversed in 40 years. The Spaniards, French, German and Benelux countries are so much easier to drive drive on .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I think this might be the third time that I’ve stated that I remain grateful that you do most of your driving in a different country from me when you repeatedly spout such incorrect nonsense!

Ian

I do ,unfortunately , drive in the UK but look on the bright side as you are 'up north' I'm never likely to come across you.:)
To clarify .I am in front(y) , If I indicate & change lanes it is up to you, an overtaker, to manage your maneouvre. Not me.
If the vehicle is travelling at the limit you can't be legally overtaking them can you ?
I am always aware of what is going on , lanes increasing, decreasing & expect the p*** takers to attempt some stunt so the instant I'm ok to move over, regardless of what the undertaker might want to do, I'm over.
The speciality here from some halfwits is the undertake of the slower vehicle in front on the entry to an mway junction.i.e. as you move over into the inside lane from the slip road, knob head behind thinks he will continue along the slip road on the inside of you & come out in front. Not good when there is a vehicle in front & they expect to force there way out. I just block the lane now it saves the aggro.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Ian

I do ,unfortunately , drive in the UK but look on the bright side as you are 'up north' I'm never likely to come across you.:)
To clarify .I am in front(y) , If I indicate & change lanes it is up to you, an overtaker, to manage your maneouvre. Not me.
If the vehicle is travelling at the limit you can't be legally overtaking them can you ?
I am always aware of what is going on , lanes increasing, decreasing & expect the p*** takers to attempt some stunt so the instant I'm ok to move over, regardless of what the undertaker might want to do, I'm over.
The speciality here from some halfwits is the undertake of the slower vehicle in front on the entry to an mway junction.i.e. as you move over into the inside lane from the slip road, knob head behind thinks he will continue along the slip road on the inside of you & come out in front. Not good when there is a vehicle in front & they expect to force there way out. I just block the lane now it saves the aggro.

God damn it, I think this might be the third, no, correction, fourth time that I’ve stated that I remain grateful that you do most of your driving in a different country from me when you repeatedly spout such incorrect nonsense!

Ian

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
That is incorrect and indeed would have you on a potential charge of dangerous driving. Indicating your intention does not give you an automatic get out of jail right of way. It's the same as a green light at traffic lights does not give you a categoric "go", in fact it means go if it is clear. If your manoeuvre creates or contributes to a road traffic collision (they are rarely true accidents because usually someone has done something they shouldn't have), you will have culpability. The other driver may also have been in the wrong by going for the undertake, but you also have responsibility for your own behaviour.

I always remember that one of the first things I was taught when learning coastal navigation for my parent's motorboat was that whilst there are "rules of the road" (keep to the right, boat to the starboard has right of way, etc), all skippers, including those with the right of way, have a duty to avoid a collision. The same applies to the road.

Highway Code Page 48 said:
General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders 1.Overview This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
CLEARLY..........the problem is you lot driving in my BMW lane, just dont!, ok...........:reel:

Jul 7, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Aren’t Audi drivers just BMW drivers who fancied a change of car, they are both s@@t drivers!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As someone who hates lane hogger's, especially those that are often tapping away at mobile phones.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but I would be happy for..

Lane Hog detection Cameras, BUT!
With Undertaking Detection

Or, just make it a bloody freeway. Let anyone undertake.

Like many of you, I drive all over western Europe. I think the driving standards have reversed in 40 years. The Spaniards, French, German and Benelux countries are so much easier to drive drive on .
As a motorcyclist touring France / Spain in the '60s & '70s i was impressed with the standard of driving in France in particular. They seemed much more aware of motorcycles.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Aren’t Audi drivers just BMW drivers who fancied a change of car, they are both s@@t drivers!

I bought my Audi as I realised it was much more effective than a BMW at tailgating, undertaking, late changing of lanes at junctions, gave me the right to be in the wrong lane as it was moving quicker and cut into the right lane at the last minute, had a better main beam so the inferior peasants got out of my lane, made all speed limits optional for me, allows me to park anywhere as long as I put on my hazards. It makes my journey to work every day so much quicker and more enjoyable everyday.
When I drive any other car or my van I can’t do any of the above and drive like a saint.
It’s a real shame Audi don’t make vans as I’m sure it would have an auto setting to empty grey waste as soon as you drove off and an extra setting to drop waste whenever a motorbike was behind you.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Freeway style motorways (where you'd be allowed to pass either side) sounds great. But in reality it means you're even more likely to find a slow driver or truck in your lane. Freeway rules just means every lane travels at roughly the same speed. It also encourages more lane changing (because faster vehicles have to filter past slower vehicles), and lane changing can trigger congestion.

I was involved in the early designs for the M42 'smart motorways'/'Active Traffic Management'. Early trials only opened the hard shoulder when congestion was worse than usual. But as many predicted, this just meant we got more cars taking the M42, so opening the hard shoulder became routine. What was also interesting was how few cars actually needed to stop on the hard shoulder or in the emergency refuge areas. Remember that legally you can only stop on the motorway in an emergency. We knew how often it happened on the M42 before the new system was put in. After it was put in, the rate plummeted. I guess most people weren't really having an emergency?

Jul 7, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Freeway style motorways (where you'd be allowed to pass either side) sounds great. But in reality it means you're even more likely to find a slow driver or truck in your lane. Freeway rules just means every lane travels at roughly the same speed. It also encourages more lane changing (because faster vehicles have to filter past slower vehicles), and lane changing can trigger congestion.

I was involved in the early designs for the M42 'smart motorways'/'Active Traffic Management'. Early trials only opened the hard shoulder when congestion was worse than usual. But as many predicted, this just meant we got more cars taking the M42, so opening the hard shoulder became routine. What was also interesting was how few cars actually needed to stop on the hard shoulder or in the emergency refuge areas. Remember that legally you can only stop on the motorway in an emergency. We knew how often it happened on the M42 before the new system was put in. After it was put in, the rate plummeted. I guess most people weren't really having an emergency?

Do you know the person then who is responsible for the ‘smart motorway’ software which drops the speed down to 50 on a Sunday night when there are about 4 cars on the road. There must be less obvious ways to recoup the funds to pay for such a marvellous system!!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
ON MOTORWAYS
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
God damn it, I think this might be the third, no, correction, fourth time that I’ve stated that I remain grateful that you do most of your driving in a different country from me when you repeatedly spout such incorrect nonsense!
4th & it isn't incorrect it is what will happen.

That is incorrect and indeed would have you on a potential charge of dangerous driving. Indicating your intention does not give you an automatic get out of jail right of way.
I didn't say I would just indicate & pull out like a bus driver but that having ascertained that there is space for the maneouvre & travelling at the limit I would change lanes working on the fact that you can't be overtaking me legally :)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
ON MOTORWAYS
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

As with all things, timing is everything. Two scenarios (pretty much as outlined above):

• You are approaching a slower car in your lane and, in order to pass them, you move to the lane on your left and pass the slower car.
  • You are correctly in the leftmost lane and are gaining ground on a slower car in the lane to your right and maintain your position in the leftmost lane and pass the car in the lane to your right.
In the former case, you’d be fair game for prosecution (along with the numpty you’ve passed) and in the latter case only the numpty you’ve passed would be up for prosecution.

I’ve seen comments on this thread from folks who won’t use the leftmost lane because of frequent exits. Frankly, if Someone isn’t capable of performing the simplest of movements between two lanes on a straight road I’d question their suitability for holding a driving licence.

Ian

Mar 4, 2019
South East England
Funster No
MH
Intending to buy a PVC
Exp
10 years with a VW campervan a long time ago before life got in the way
"Keep to the left unless overtaking". Simples. And while we're at it "Only a fool breaks the two second rule".

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I would go further than that and say don’t trust anyone with a stupid white hat on their parcel shelf.

That ( in my experience) is the true sign of incompetence.
Or a box of tissues on the parcel shelf. Tissues? Handy for the back seat??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
"Keep to the left unless overtaking". Simples. And while we're at it "Only a fool breaks the two second rule".
says it all, if there is a row of vehicals on the inside lane and you stay in the middle lane you are overtaking them all(y)

Glyn and Debbie

Free Member
May 18, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Since 2008
Back to them being smart motorways has anyone else seen the frequent reports of debris in road signs only to drive at 50 mph for miles never seeing any debris, or pedestrians going for a stroll on the motorway as the signs keep telling us. I was driving past the Trafford centre at 4am the other morning at 40 mph as the smart signs were telling me there was a queue on the slip road funny really I was the only vehicle on the road anyway I vote for reducing motorways to 2 lanes as most drivers don’t use the inside 2 lanes anyway

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
I drive on two motorways including the M25 every week day to get to work and am amazed how poor peoples lane choice can be. The worst seem to be taxi drivers going back into London form Stansted, it’s very common for the to be travelling at 50 mph in the outside lane with the other two lanes completely empty.
The people that really amaze me are the ones that suddenly pull over to let you past as the other lanes are empty only to pull straight back out again even though there is nothing in any other lanes.
At least once a week you see a cer that has been hit by a left hand drive lorry! It’s also terrifying watch lorry drivers of all nationalities tail gating cars.
Never run alongside a lorry,you might be in his blind spot!! if you want to overtake one, hang back until your exit through is clear then drive past him so he can see you again.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Interestingly, I hope, smart motorways that allow you to use the hard shoulder, then restrict it to the next junction, are dangerous because it force you out into lane 2, and encourages undertaking in lane 1 if you are coming off at the junction.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Five pages now of conflicting view but the fact remains if your engine suddenly siezes in the lane1 or what used to be the hard shoulder or some other unforeseen thing happens you are going to be rear ended with nowhere to get out of the way never mind any laws that you are breaking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back