New 2021 Lippert Vela Pop-Up Roof For Ducato, Boxer & Relay Van Conversions (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
New for some manufacturers (yet to be named) as factory fit for 2021 Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer & Citroen Relay (H2 type) roof van conversions - it may be available as an aftermarket option for these models in the future. If it works as well as they claim (negating some of the issues with current versions of this roof) then maybe this could be the next trend for motorhomes? Article below has been translated from French:

Lippert Components (LCI) closely follows new trends in vans. For this type of leisure vehicle, the company has already designed several products, including “ slide-out ” applications. This “expandable space” concept is now expanding in height with the development of a new pop-up roof, manufactured not in fiberglass, like most current products, but using the “ twin sheet ” thermoforming technique. ". This new generation roof is primarily intended for manufacturers before a possible deployment in aftermarket.

20 to 30% lighter
Twin sheet thermoforming , which can be carried out using the vacuum or pressure technique, provides for separate production of the two sheets. Once obtained, the top sheet and the bottom sheet are quickly brought together so that their surface temperature does not decrease. A corrugated jig serves to maintain a free space between the two, into which high pressure air is introduced to strengthen and weld the two parts together.

This technique saves weight, " by 20 and 30% less compared to other similar fiberglass products " explains Lorenzo Manni, Commercial Director of LCI RV Europe.

This process has enabled LCI to produce a larger than average pop-up roof, capable of accommodating a 200 x 130 cm double bed, without increasing its weight.

From a mechanical point of view, LCI has developed a lifting system using an integrated double mechanism, which makes it possible to recover space in height, including on the lowest side of the roof.

The presence of an air mattress also at the base level has therefore made it possible to develop an exclusive patent pending solution: in this space, it is possible to introduce hot or cold air, depending on the season, and to improve the air conditioning of the upper space, the temperature of which is then closer to that of the passenger compartment of the van.

Vela roof

An optional insulating fabric
Its internal layout provides for internal lighting, illumination of its perimeter, reading spots, smartphone charging sockets and air vents. The fabric of the ceiling is washable and removable. As an option, an additional insulation fabric is available, provided with a waterproof outer layer and an insulating inner layer, welded together, to reduce heat exchange between the interior and the exterior.

To begin with, the “Vela” pop-up roof will only be available for Fiat Ducato, Citroën Jumper and Peugeot Boxer with H2 roof, but in the future LCI will make specific frames and deflectors also for other camper van models, as well. than for other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I know they come with lots of downsides but I would love a pop top roof on mine as I have a box Peugeot boxer H2 , and with the roof lining I still can’t stand up quite straight as I am just over 6 foot four. That tiny bit of neck movement ends up with me getting a bad back (and banging my head occasionally, annoying to the extent that I am thinking of selling the van,so I would seriously consider having one of these fitted . my vehicle is only a two travel seat so probably would never use the bed system. Might be a nice to have in sunnier climes...

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I know they come with lots of downsides but I would love a pop top roof on mine as I have a box Peugeot boxer H2 , and with the roof lining I still can’t stand up quite straight as I am just over 6 foot four. That tiny bit of neck movement ends up with me getting a bad back (and banging my head occasionally, annoying to the extent that I am thinking of selling the van,so I would seriously consider having one of these fitted . my vehicle is only a two travel seat so probably would never use the bed system. Might be a nice to have in sunnier climes...
I agree they do look good. Although if I were in your position I‘d probably be tempted to sell the current van and get a H3 instead, for the extra head room.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I have a pop-top Ducato (Globecar). I'm 6 foot 3 and can just stand up throughout the van, but having the large cut-out for access to the roof bed right behind the front seats, where the rooflight normally is, gives tons of headroom there. Still got a rooflight on the pop-top's roof. Also in the heat we can pop up the roof and open all the vents. Keeps the van cool even if not sleeping up there.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I have a pop-top Ducato (Globecar). I'm 6 foot 3 and can just stand up throughout the van, but having the large cut-out for access to the roof bed right behind the front seats, where the rooflight normally is, gives tons of headroom there. Still got a rooflight on the pop-top's roof. Also in the heat we can pop up the roof and open all the vents. Keeps the van cool even if not sleeping up there.
It sounds great, I love our van but the only place I can stand full height is the rooflight, !!
Was lucky to find a van with one x long bed , if there was a converter who could do it I think I would have it done...I, ve seen some of the Hymer pvcs with a pop roof they look good too. Got any photos of the roof?

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
It sounds great, I love our van but the only place I can stand full height is the rooflight, !!
Was lucky to find a van with one x long bed , if there was a converter who could do it I think I would have it done...I, ve seen some of the Hymer pvcs with a pop roof they look good too. Got any photos of the roof?
Not got any of the inside, but the bed up there is full king-size. Wouldn't fancy it in the wind or rain, but handy to have and good for visitors ( remember when visitors were a thing). I'm lucky that the Globescout bed is just big enough for me. The pop-top was not what we set out to buy, but the rest of the van was perfect for us, and the pop-top cost was discounted in the deal we got. We are happy with it. It is heavy though, and eats into payload. If the latest one is lighter then that's a very good thing.
In this photo the roof was up for ventilation only.

Attachments

• 20200913_153211.jpg
    20200913_153211.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 101

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Does this design allow for solar panels anywhere?

Just wondering where I’d put things like my MiFi antenna etc.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I have a 60w flexi panel on the last bit of remaining van roof, and I am about to fit another to the pop-top roof. (Possibly will add a third 60w if 120w isn't enough).There isn't much space for other things. Photo attached

Attachments

• 16160601194617496198179190223453.jpg
    16160601194617496198179190223453.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 82
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Not got any of the inside, but the bed up there is full king-size. Wouldn't fancy it in the wind or rain, but handy to have and good for visitors ( remember when visitors were a thing). I'm lucky that the Globescout bed is just big enough for me. The pop-top was not what we set out to buy, but the rest of the van was perfect for us, and the pop-top cost was discounted in the deal we got. We are happy with it. It is heavy though, and eats into payload. If the latest one is lighter then that's a very good thing.
In this photo the roof was up for ventilation only.
Bet it transforms the van .., the proportions look good

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Second panel now on, still ti wire it into the existing loom. I've left space to add another one beside it, just in case. Looks squint in the photo but it's not.

Attachments

• 16162350727271263130962815646465.jpg
    16162350727271263130962815646465.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 51

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How about a long skylight running Back to front.

Something like a curved shower glass mounted in a timber frame with a fairing on the front!

Just thinking out the box!!

Cheers James

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Thats cool thinking, I have thought about mounting a lengthwise long , caravan style rooflight, in addition to the square heki light currently fitted!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back