Never fit a washing line from your van to a tree (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A while back in Conil Spain, where I parked there was only one tree I could use for a washing line. It was just perfect, allowing me to hang out the bed linen for a quick dry.
Some time later, my eyes were attracted to a shimmering, as if the sun was glinting off to top of the bed cover. Rather attractive I thought as I investigated further. The washing line had become an M1 for rather a lot of ants who were making a one way trip to the van and its food store.
For weeks I would see a line of ants marching across the dash while I was driving or discover them on food I was about to put in my mouth.
We tried everything to get rid of the blighters, which we finally succeeded in doing during the winter months at home. Sadly, we had to poison the whole colony:cry:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
And me, shame about the ants, but you see Brexit has far reaching consequences.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have one of these very light weight and I can shake off all critters before we put it back in the van!!!
IMG_0881.JPG

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
And me, shame about the ants, but you see Brexit has far reaching consequences.

I suppose that could be true the Brussels Commission is a bit of an Ant colony. Those at the top do the ordering everyone else jumps. Reminds me of something??. Ah! Yes. The SS. and the Stazi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
I suppose that could be true the Brussels Commission is a bit of an Ant colony. Those at the top do the ordering everyone else jumps. Reminds me of something??. Ah! Yes. The SS. and the Stazi.
More like the British aristocracy / class system that Rees-Mogg and his cohorts want us to return to ......... :rolleyes:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
More like the British aristocracy / class system that Rees-Mogg and his cohorts want us to return to ......... :rolleyes:

Doubtful , that disappeared with the end of the "Downton Abbey" era. We ALL get to vote now, even some illegal immigrants, it`s called democracy, not perfect, but can work sometimes, which is how we have Brexit:). The EU "parliament"(n) is only a rubber stamping machine for the commission.:whistle:

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Doubtful , that disappeared with the end of the "Downton Abbey" era. We ALL get to vote now, even some illegal immigrants, it`s called democracy, not perfect, but can work sometimes, which is how we have Brexit:). The EU "parliament"(n) is only a rubber stamping machine for the commission.:whistle:
Ah, the glorious democracy that brought the unelected loony DUP to power with billion pound backdoor bribery ...... ;)

Back to the washing lines - good point. I had an infestation last summer (tiny things, much smaller than our regular ants) and wondered how they got in. My van has tons of ground clearance but I did tie a washing line to a tree for several days. Will avoid that in future and take back control of my borders. Must have bought the washing line in the EU since it allowed the hordes of illegal immigrants to help themselves to my free food and housing !!! :LOL:

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
We had a similar experience in Southern France a couple of years ago. Except these ones, unbeknown to us, got up via a leveller onto the tyre and through the engine bay.
The first we became aware of it was when I noticed something like a scene from Zulu, where they were all lined up peering over the awning rail at me!
I got up on the bed and looked through the sky light and the roof was covered in them. Large soldier ants and smaller workers.
We had them for days scuttling up and down the windscreen cowling to the roof. I would be out like a demon sweeping them off the awning rail and anywhere else they appeared, people must have thought I was a right nutter!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
..........and don't tie your line to a lamp post. The occupants of a van near us in Estartit did that did and the weight of the washing pulled the lamp post over.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
..........and don't tie your line to a lamp post. The occupants of a van near us in Estartit did that did and the weight of the washing pulled the lamp post over.
Wasn't that a funster?!!!:LOL:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Never park with a tree branch(or even just the leaves) touching van. Our friends got ants doing that. They were terrible to get rid of and had to buy nasty Spanish killer spray that you probably cannot get over here.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The washing line had become an M1 for rather a lot of ants who were making a one way trip to the van and its food store.
For weeks I would see a line of ants marching across the dash:cry:

We managed that in Sorrento, not with a washing line but a single branch of a tree resting on the roof.

The site office loaned us a spray that was very effective but they were everywhere and the bodies remained in corners for years.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We have a colony that come back year on year around the base of the apple tree. I use ant bait traps which take out the Queen, the drone ants take the syrup back to feed her which makes her sterile apparently. They then give up and the colony dies. The problem is that to make a permanent extermination would involve felling the tree. Spanish Ants are particularly hard to get rid of.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
We also have one of those dryers . Had it up for a few days whilst we were on a site, packed it away along with the camping chairs the day before we moved on. When we stopped for lunch went to get the chairs out and the locker was alive with ants . They have established a nest inside the dryer tube and were busy expanding their empire all through the van. Not sure if I have got rid of them all yet.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We also have one of those dryers . Had it up for a few days whilst we were on a site, packed it away along with the camping chairs the day before we moved on. When we stopped for lunch went to get the chairs out and the locker was alive with ants . They have established a nest inside the dryer tube and were busy expanding their empire all through the van. Not sure if I have got rid of them all yet.
I have a pet aversion to those aluminium drying contraptions, hence my washing line.
We own and have used the drying thing. Ours does hold a lot of washing, it also occupies space and adds weight when travelling. After pegging it down and adding several heavy stones, all should be well unless a gusty blow comes along. Ours fell over!

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Other day whilst sitting in hospital waiting room read an article in a gardening mag, which said that peppermint was an effective deterrent for ants, did not say wether it was liquid or spray you used. :mask::devil:

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
My van has tons of ground clearance
But, please Sir, the wheels?
If there's any sign of ants, we spray a little ant powder round the tyres' contact patches. Doesn't help. just makes us feel better :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back