Never Done It,,, Advice On First Trip & Code (1 Viewer)

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Im sure theres many threads but if anyones got a couple quick answers I would appreciate it.

Around the 19th March I fancied trying our first trip to France, for about a week. Im a little worried having never driven abroad before but Im told its easier.

1) I believe the best price is from Dover through DFDS with a code, does any one have a current code with out caravan and camping

2) We were thinking about a week over there just tootling around has anyone any suggestions of sites or basic route. Im thinking perhaps the more comfortable sites to start ie bit of electric maybe even a couple of two night stops.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yes, DFDS, No code needed. Try a few different departure times to find the cheapest.
Can't advise on sites as we use the Aires, Brilliant. Get the Aires book, you won't need leccy if your bimmbling/ touring ( moving every day or so). Our rule is if we're moving we leave straight after breakfast & arrive at next Aire by lunch. Enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
You don't have to go very far in France, the coast west of Calais to Normandy is worth a visit.

Stay off the toll roads and dual carriageways and just take your time.

We were in France March last year and found a lot of sites were still closed, very quiet, so look for a site or Aire before you set off each day.
:thumb:

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi
We stayed at Le Cateau Cambresis, page 292 in our aires book. A bit noisy, as adjacent to road, but walking distance to town. Also free unlimited electricity, (4 sockets) helpful when the weather is cold. It saved us using our gas for heating. It was a shortish drive from Calais, and lots of history. Henri Matisse was born there, and there is a museum. We were there 3 weeks ago, and it was very quiet, but a nice place to be.

Safe travels

Karen and Paul

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
Caravan 20 years - Motorhome 8 years
2) We were thinking about a week over there just tootling around has anyone any suggestions of sites or basic route. Im thinking perhaps the more comfortable sites to start ie bit of electric maybe even a couple of two night stops.

For a week there is plenty to keep the fist timer happy in Picardy and never having to drive far from the port. See my map http://goo.gl/maps/ptZ8e and look at the sites and aires marked between Calais and le crotoy. These are mainly aires but there are some nice ones. And the great thing with an aire is if you don't like it you can move on to the next... Most important tip in my book is not to plan too much, just have a rough idea of where you are going .... Oh and enjoy :)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
well worth the sub aint it have fun

OP
OP
Dubiousp

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I think so,

Just one question on the map links sent over which is really good whats the difference between blue and green

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Dubiousp don't worry about the driving. After a couple of minutes you will be fine. The roads are so much better than ours. Enjoy yourself.:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
This might seem obvious but what I did was write on a small piece of card/paper DRIVE ON THE RIGHT..it works however I believe they sell these clear floppy plastic stickers which say the same and have a diagram on them that shows Right Hand Drive road position couple of Euros for peace of mind..as for the Aires just use them in conjunction with maps of the area and no worries...but arrive around at the latest 3pm for a decent spot..

A nice site we used near Miannay/Abbeyville is Le Clos Cacheleaux/Val de Trie nice site for first timing..English is spoken..the sites are sister sites and opposite each other I would say use the Le Clos Cacheleax as it is more open and the pitches are larger it opens on the 15th march...Have fun..

EDIT: Tried putting the link in but it will not work google Le Clos Cacheleaux and you'll find it..

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
For a week there is plenty to keep the fist timer happy in Picardy and never having to drive far from the port. See my map http://goo.gl/maps/ptZ8e and look at the sites and aires marked between Calais and le crotoy. These are mainly aires but there are some nice ones. And the great thing with an aire is if you don't like it you can move on to the next... Most important tip in my book is not to plan too much, just have a rough idea of where you are going .... Oh and enjoy :)

Better brush up on your French if you ask directions for this one, they might think you need toothpaste.
Camping Haliotis :roflmto:

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
I think so,

Just one question on the map links sent over which is really good whats the difference between blue and green

Blue ones are aires . Green are sites. Remember there are plenty more these are just places I have been. Oh, and most of the sites I visit take camping cheques which are a great way of getting a cheap but good site.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Do not make too many plans as to where you want to go and what you want to see.

The first time, three years ago, when we went to France in a MH we had a fortnight to see as much as we could of Northern France.

I spent months cobbling together a definitive list of where we would go, stay and see.

Within a few hours of arriving in France the list went in the bin.

We had been delayed by heavy traffic and a Motorway accident and arrived at Eurotunnel 4 hours later than booked, six hours later in France than expected and eventually arrived at Equihen Plage Aire at eleven at night.

So - we were nowhere near where we'd expected to be on the first night and after that we decided just to meander along the Northern coast and stop anywhere that looked ok.

We then stayed at Fort Mahon Plage, Veules-les-Roses, Honfleur, Luc-sur-Mer and Grandcamp Maisy before heading back via Beuvron-en-Auge, Etretat, Le Treport, Le Touquet and finally Wissant.

We had to stay at Honfleur longer than we'd anticipated because the dog managed to cut his leg chasing rabbits (don't ask!) and he needed a Vet's attention - but we realised Honfleur offered more than just the touristy Harbour area and was a lovely place to stay.

If you've not travelled in France before you need to get used to driving on the right (driver in gutter), road signs and where all the other traffic is because the open road really is open on most of the roads in France compared to the UK.

Take your time, long distances are for the more seasoned visitor, and just enjoy what the 'real' France has to offer wherever you decide to go.

Take the Rough Guide to find those places you'd never even heard of before but are well worth a visit.

And don't worry, you'll find somewhere to stay every night – everyone else does.

:france::france::france:

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
Long distances are for the more seasoned visitor, and just enjoy what the 'real' France has to offer wherever you decide to go.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree. It's all about how comfortable you are and how safe you are driving long distances. The key is to take breaks and not to to do something you are not comfortable with. I can't see it has anything to do with how many times you have driven on the continent.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
As the OP said he had never driven abroad before - do you not think it would be more sensible for him to get acclimatised to French roads before attempting long distances?

Just driving on the right for the first time takes some time to adjust, there are many unfamiliar road signs in a foreign language to understand and traffic islands are always a worry for the uninitiated.

He only has a week's holiday and having hundreds of miles of tarmac whizzing under the tyres is not an ideal way to see the best of France, or any other country, when the main purpose of a holiday is relaxation – not a race to get as far as possible as quickly as possible.

Give the guy a chance, you as an experienced European traveller may have forgotten the doubts and worries of that first trip, and let him into Continental driving as gently as possible.

:france::france::france:

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
You will see from my earlier posts that I suggest there is plenty to do in Picardy. However, I don't believe, for everyone, driving in France is that big a thing. Once over the water and on the roads any experienced Uk driver should be able to judge their own ability. I agree don't make big plans but if you feel comfortable and want to head further afield you should. You shouldn't be held back thinking its not the done thing and you need experience. It is the drivers decision, who should access the risks and their own ability but without compromising their own or others safety.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, As already said it's so much easier to drive in france just remember to drive on the right ( very easy) , times to think!!! are if you stop for a break / cuppa when you pull away ensure you go to the right (mind being distracted for short while)other than that SIMPLES. We did our first ever trip many years ago drove down to the med in 2 days missed most of the scenery and countryside , so take your time dont use paege roads (tolls) can be expensive. again as said normandy coast or loire river, or Brittany.
Very nice campsite south of caen
Camping des Rochers des Parcs

Clécy a few miles south of Thury Harcourt (normandy swiss) right on the river bank, not sure if they will be open but check out there website Sorry just checked not open till april.

Terry:sin:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi
We stayed at Le Cateau Cambresis, page 292 in our aires book. A bit noisy, as adjacent to road, but walking distance to town. Also free unlimited electricity, (4 sockets) helpful when the weather is cold. It saved us using our gas for heating. It was a shortish drive from Calais, and lots of history. Henri Matisse was born there, and there is a museum. We were there 3 weeks ago, and it was very quiet, but a nice place to be.
Safe travels
Karen and Paul

And after the Musee there is an excellent brasserie ::bigsmile:
Lidl is only 50 mtrs up road in other direction.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
DFDS fares are always cheaper on night crossings.

check prices for around 11pm to 4am.

you can always stop somewhere for a couple of hours to catch up on sleep if needed.

Glyn and Debbie

Free Member
May 18, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Since 2008
Hi,people seem to have gone a little bit off the subject, ferries to france, if you are a cc member or a cc&c member then book through them as you get 50% off DFDS.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back