Rally Chat Never been on a rally before? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What happens at a Fun Meet or Rally

We have quite a few new Funsters putting their name down for meets and rallies and are maybe wondering what they have let themselves in for. We also have a large number who might be trying to pluck up the courage and book. So to put your mind at ease (or maybe put you off forever) I thought I’d let you know what goes on.

To attend a Fun rally you must be a subscriber. All of our rallies have a “thread” running, where the members can express an interest or ask questions about that particular rally. This rally section is here. You can also see a list of rallies on the This thread will give you the location and the times you can arrive and anything else you need to know, but don’t be afraid to ask any questions on that thread, the rally marshal or others will answer.

For some rallies you may get asked to fill a quick form in, to include details like your motorhome registration number, how many of you in the van, the time you expect to arrive. (You may also be asked for names for a name badge.) This information makes life easier for the marshal. Knowing you are coming along on Friday at 6pm means they are not waiting all of Friday for you to arrive. Don’t worry about being early or late, no one is going to hold you to that time.

Unlike most every other club, we do not charge additional rally fees. The rally marshals are volunteers. When you arrive you’ll be greeted by the rally marshal, and briefed on the rally. They may have a welcome letter, or just let you know verbally what’s happening. If there is going to be a gathering for coffee or a BBQ you’ll be told, but some rally marshals have a notice board letting Funsters know that way.

If they’ve made name badges or a motorhome name badge they’ll give you those too. Someone will then park you up. You’ll be at least 6m from any others and the rally marshal will introduce you to your near neighbours. Nothing is compulsory, if you don’t want to attend, no one will come knocking on your door asking where you are. If you want to meet people and make new friends, It’s up to you to make the effort to attend. Please don’t be shy, you will be made most welcome.

Typical events

Some events are themed, such as the Bring and Buy, or New year events, but everything will be mentioned in the rally thread. But as always, we are not sticklers for rules, let’s say that the New Years Eve party rally is fancy dress, no one will bat an eyelid if you choose not to dress up. Its up to you how you have fun.

Coffee and Cake.

This is a pretty regular happening. The rally marshal buys some cake, and you turn up, with your coffee at the allotted time. Depending on the rally marshal, there may be a pot for donations to cover the costs of the cake, and plenty of other Ralliers will arrive with cake, so do attend hungry.

Barbecues
A common theme is for people to cook food for a given time and then take it to a central area, where everyone takes a seat and eats in that central area. the theme tends to be “cook for yourself plus bit more for others” this can mean that these events are like medieval banquets with tons of stuff to eat, again its best to arrive hungry
Stratford12web-33.jpg

ChesterJubilee0026.jpg

Evenings
We always try and have a designated central area. Unless this is high summer we also strive to be under canvas. Rarely is anything formal arranged. People tend to gather in this area, they might bring a beer or a coffee, mostly its just chat, sometimes someone might bring along a guitar, and if we have any Welsh funsters, there might well be the odd song in a strange language, but its all good fun. If this is a show rally where there is entertainment laid on by the organisers, some may well choose to attend this. There is never any obligation on your part, you can do as you please.

Stratford12web-49.jpg

Breakfast

It does not happen at every rally but when it does..Sunday breakfast is a popular event. The rally marshal buys bacon and rolls and normally cooks them around 10:30 on Sundays. Some marshals are super efficient and will ask you when you arrive if you want rolls and how many, this is so they don’t buy too many. There will be a nominal charge, which is normally a £1 per breakfast so rally marshal can get their money back.
bacon-1-png.89874

You must put a bit of effort in.

True story..
A few years ago someone claimed that they did not have a good time at a rally and thought they were ignored. I was devastated, so were the rally marshals. They had received a note from the marshalls letting them know what was happening, but somehow chose not to attend anything.

When questioned......Did you not attend the evening in the Marquee? “no we were tired and my wife had a migraine” How about the coffee morning did you attend that? “No we are not coffee drinkers and wanted to visit the town at that time” How about the bacon rolls, did you not chat to people over a bacon roll breakfast? “No we’re vegetarians so we didn’t want to come over”

So essentially this couple stayed in their van and made no effort to join in, but then thought they were being ignored.

What they failed to appreciate is that because we are not a pushy club, insisting that everyone joins in with everything, we’re quite happy to let you sit in your van, no one is going to disturb you and ask if you are coming to the coffee morning. So do get out, and chat to each other. Funsters are very friendly and as you make new friends you’ll not regret making the effort.

The rallies are great fun. Please don’t be shy, book on one and see for yourself. (y)

How to Book on a Rally.

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Several rallies coming up in Scotland too. Why not come along, you will be made most welcome.

Just bring your sun cream, midge repellent, sunglasses, a brolly and wellies ..Oh and some dancing shoes :D2

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
That's very interesting, thanks, Jim. If you had to pick one rally for your first time, which one? ..... And why?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's very interesting, thanks, Jim. If you had to pick one rally for your first time, which one? ..... And why?
OOOooo No pressure there @Jim I would say something not too big as they can be a bit impersonal, possibly something about the size of our Flower show meet :LOL: only kidding but yes the smaller you feel that you get to know people better.

Martin

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I met @Sunseaker a few weeks ago, although not a new member he had never subscribed. I told him about the Scottish rallies and how he needed to subscribe to come.
He's now subscribed and has chosen to come to Millport...(y) reason, it's the smallest meet and he's never been to a meet before so less folk to mix with and get to know. Says he's shy.

The strange thing is he never shut up all weekend :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
for those who cant or dont want to trek north to midge country, our Bagwell meet in Dorset is a nice size friendly meet. And there are plenty of spaces left. we open on the 24th of June and close on the 9th of July and you can join us for all or just part of the meet.
perfectly situated near weymouth to see all the local attractions and to visit the chickerel steam fair

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We did our first rally last year at the Kent Motorhome Show. That's another small rally.

We're doing the Whiskey Meet followed by the Norfolk Motorhome Show.

Denise

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I would love to attend a Fun rally but as they are so popular and I can't book in advance due to not knowing if I will have to work that weekend until the last moment, it looks like I will have to settle for reading about them:):D

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would love to attend a Fun rally but as they are so popular and I can't book in advance due to not knowing if I will have to work that weekend until the last moment, it looks like I will have to settle for reading about them:):D

We used to have that problem which was why we opted for the Kent Motorhome Show as it's not far from where we live and no problem if you just want to do a weekend.

Denise

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Having worked in the industry I have had my fill of shows so wouldn't attend a rally at a show even if you paid me but other rallies look Fun

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They don't all book up but I know what you mean, I am not really trying to push the Shrewsbury flower show meet but I think that there will be places available right up to the last minute so if you do really want to attend something, and its not a motorhome show you could keep an eye on the thread.

Martin

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
They don't all book up but I know what you mean, I am not really trying to push the Shrewsbury flower show meet but I think that there will be places available right up to the last minute so if you do really want to attend something, and its not a motorhome show you could keep an eye on the thread.

Martin
Link please

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Still being relatively new to this motorhoming malarkey, thanks @Jim for an informative post!

I've never been to a rally so this was really insightful, good photos too, it's good to actually 'see' what goes on (y)

Can I ask though, are well behaved dogs welcome at a rallies in general? Or does it depend on the event and/or marshal?

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Still being relatively new to this motorhoming malarkey, thanks @Jim for an informative post!

I've never been to a rally so this was really insightful, good photos too, it's good to actually 'see' what goes on (y)

Can I ask though, are well behaved dogs welcome at a rallies in general? Or does it depend on the event and/or marshal?
Never heard of a MH fun rally that doesnt welcome dogs. I guess its the venue that would decide that.
Our well behaved mega laid back dog Nelson adores the MHFun rallies and is made very welcome.(y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Anything Late June through to end of September is no good for us as lots of family commitments then. However, next year might not be as heavily committed. (y)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We have all been in that situation. What doesn't help is you don't know if you would like the rally and by the time everyone has posted it is full. I personally do have a gripe about rallies, when people start trying to book multiple places because their friends are out of the country or whatever. It is the equivalent of leaving coats on seats, very unsociable.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Martin[/QUOTE]

Have a look at Youtube as well. Some FUN Videos and photos on there..

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Just to add my 2 pennies worth.
I joined a few years back having only just bought our MH and did not have a clue about our new toy. It was show in Wales and we drove into the show site and was greeted with a friendly smile and shown to our parking place.
Within 30 minutes or so someone knocked on our door and asked if we were alright (having a Spanish registered MH) and if we needed anything. Now you could if you wanted too sit in your MH and members will respect that, but we discovered the best way was to mingle.
The next morning we discovered our batteries (just bought the MH second hand) were not holding the charge. After asking round someone came across and checked the batteries whilst another member went and asked a fellow member for the lone of his "geni"
Within a few hours the batteries got sorted we had a few "brews" and the MH charging system was explained in a very friendly manner.
Since that day we have attended many rallies, met Jim (the main man) and helped with a rally or two. To this day I still remember the first one and because of the friendly manner extended to us, I/we have always extended a helping hand when needed and respected the MH next door if all they want is a little private time.
Worth every penny of membership just for the new friends we have made in the past few years.

Sep 15, 2013
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Hymer b654
Exp
Just back from my 1 st rally the Merseyside one, as I am a lone traveler I was worried about how I would take to it.
All I can say I was like a duck to water, the best thing I have done in years, met a lot of lovely people and a lot of mad people as well.
You never know until you try, you get out as much as you put in if not more.
It was my first but will not be my last.
Hope this helps people like me who are not sure
Gail

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Is there a definitive difference between a 'meet' and a 'rally'?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Is there a definitive difference between a 'meet' and a 'rally'?
YES
a meet is an informal meet up of a few vans at a set place, whilst a rally is an organised meet with a rally marshal organising generally on a rally field or showground

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I attended the Newbury retro festival, as my first rally met a few people, but in truth we were so busy at the show it was difficult, went to the Jacobs table and raffle and the people we did meet were friendly. Then we went to the Pembury halloween rally, only about 20 vans if that, but met some lovely people and Swanseajack, seriously had a good weekend and have booked for this year.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Jim Hi Jim. The link at the start to the rally calendar is defunct? Just letting you know as this thread is really good for new people.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi guys, have never attended a rally but interested. Is there a overview list of planned rallies with dates? Thanks.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Hi guys, have never attended a rally but interested. Is there a overview list of planned rallies with dates? Thanks.

If you click the navigation menu, and rallies, you can select either the calendar which shows things by month or the agenda link, as above, gives a listing. All will link to the relevant booking / discussion thread.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Kannon, that’s exactly what I wanted. Thanks for putting the link up but stupid question, where would I find this on the website if I did not have the link. I’ve tried looking udder the rally heading but only get a choice of Callander setting!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thanks Kannon, that’s exactly what I wanted. Thanks for putting the link up but stupid question, where would I find this on the website if I did not have the link. I’ve tried looking udder the rally heading but only get a choice of Callander setting!
Hit the Rallies button on the toolbar then click on the one you're interested in.

Screenshot_20210328-152420_Samsung Internet.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back