Neufchâtel en Bray aire (1 Viewer)

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
I know lots of you use aires all the time, I have never been able to convince the wife they are safe. We are going to be travelling south on Dec 16 and I was planning on stopping at Neufchâtel en bray aire as it is far enough after a 4 hour drive down to the tunnel and another 1.5 - 2 hours. She is now panicking that it is an aire - we are too big (8.9 mts. Tag axle) no electric, not safe & any other thing you think of. I have managed to keep tales of mass 'gassings' etc from her.
Anyway my concerns are - will we fit on the pitch & is it open at that time of the year?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
There is electric, big pitch, safe as houses!
In saying that we now use the site next door as it costs not a lot more and you have the free showers.
Great stopover with supermarkets nearby. Nice town, bike path next to aire/site runs from Dieppe to Forges Les Eaux!

Reactions: Jim

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If it’s open and it’s not busy (unlikely at that time of year), then you’d be ok.

You will fit on a pitch (just; we’re 8.4m and fitted with little spare length) but if there are others on adjacent and opposite pitches, you’d struggle to manoeuvre in/out.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This is one at Buchy. A little further on.
Small village only downside may be the school next door. Stayed there with our grandkids, no issues.
Aires need to be tried, they are all very different but us them as intended. A stop over and handy place while you are travelling past. As for electric, some do have them but if its an overnight stop do you really need it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@49.5...4!1sh8o2XWrYVarikAv0nJbcKg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
At this time of year you won't find many camp sites open in France so you will need to use Aires, whether you like it or not. And the Neufchatel Aire is as close to being a campsite as you can get.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
8.9 M would be very tight, only one space would accommodate you right at the bottom. I used the sight next door, very accommodating owner, he will guide to to your pitch on his bicycle!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Stayed there it is safe and it has a barrier at the entrance/exit ...only just off the motorway and a nice town

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timotei
Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you for the replies/info
Think the site next door is closed for the winter. I realise that most sites are closed at this time of the year. I only need to stop for 1 night as we are going onto Richelieu next day.
My have a look at aire for size, length, how busy. If no go will have a look at Buchy, school shouldn't be a problem as it's a Saturday night.
Main thing is to keep wifey happy

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
There are TONS of aires all over France and they are all well used you hear an odd complaint about safety not from the thousands of satisfied users of which we are some

Some aires have electric - some don't
Most do not have toilets or showers but you are in a motorhome and you have both on board
just read your chosen site search about sizes and opening dates and prices

We found aires from FREE to 16€ a night and at the end of October all were full every stop we made

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you for the replies/info
Think the site next door is closed for the winter. I realise that most sites are closed at this time of the year. I only need to stop for 1 night as we are going onto Richelieu next day.
My have a look at aire for size, length, how busy. If no go will have a look at Buchy, school shouldn't be a problem as it's a Saturday night.
Main thing is to keep wifey happy
We have used this aire several times and we tow a car trailer at total length of 11.7m fit on easily and not busy this time of year also never any worries about safety. Go for it(y)(y)(y)(y) nice town as well

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
This is a really nice aire. We stayed in November last year and were the only ones there but still felt totally safe.
281116 Aire De Clair Neufchatel En Bray (1).JPG

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
It does have a sign saying max length is either 8m or 8.5m , longer vans go to next door site (which is currently closed, of course.) Many of the pitches would be very difficult longer than that, although one pitch would certainly be long enough - but when we were there early November it was full one night, so probably worth getting there early?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you do have problems getting on then there is a free Aire 2 or 3 miles up the D1 towards Dieppe at Mesnieres en Bray. Plenty of room on a large car park with free water and dump. No electrics though.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Don’t worry about using the Aires, thay are great. If you feel you don’t like it when you pull in then just move on. We normally get to one by about 2pm, when there not busy but this time of year a lot are empty anyway. We have stayed on some real nice ones and been the only ones there and felt safe as houses.

OP
OP
Timotei
Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Again - thanks for the replies
I'm not concerned about using an aire, but the wife can be quite nervous
I think I'm fairly aware of my surroundings & situations & we have a big dog (she's as soft as sh*t but looks the part)
I'll give it a try & see how I get on

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We were in the same position as you a few years ago. We were staying at the campsite at Neufchatel, which is next to the Aire and had a look at it.. On our way back we tried it as our first ever Aire and have never looked back since.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
One of the best aires for a first stop, good walk walk for the dog (to the vet), Lidl and Aldi nearby. Cashier came out and helped me back out after filling up at Leclerc. Biggest problem is leaving the aire if the pay machine isn't working.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Only about an hour or so from tunnel is an aire called Montruiel, part has 6 or so nice spaces and others in car park which used to be the Aire. Felt very safe here, no elec. Lovely walk around the walls of the town. It is a well used Aire, so get there early. Free.

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
Stayed on a few iffy Aires never had a problem, think the secret is to have a wander round first check it out - also been on Some are better than some of the top sites in uk

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ah - Richelieu ! Marvellous statue of Le Cardinal. Takes all of 90 minutes to explore the town thoroughly, providing you come back the long way and walking slowly cos it was hot, took us another 90 minutes to walk straight through the park and explore the island.

There was one rather excellent looking restaurant - closed when we got there last September as was the campsite though the tap for Mohos was there, the water was off, so we had to turn it back on and off again using the very useful large adjustable spanner we carry. If you wish to flush the black waste dump and rinse the cassette, you need to do it whilst you've got the water on - if it even flows along the pipes in December.

Aire is alongside the main road - no security or electricity - and not busy at all after early evening, until it starts again next morning.

Not exactly a place I could recommend! Even the church is pretty boring - no wonderful stained glass or anything whatsoever interesting.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
One of the best aires for a first stop, good walk walk for the dog (to the vet), Lidl and Aldi nearby. Cashier came out and helped me back out after filling up at Leclerc. Biggest problem is leaving the aire if the pay machine isn't working.

Unless you have a petrol engine, there is no need to use the main pumps in that Leclerc and then reverse out. On the edge of the filling station there is an HGV pump for diesel which will dispense at a sensible rate, no height barrier and no narrow exit. Actually many Leclercs have the same setup so I often look out for them for filling up.

In this case, if your filler is on the UK nearside, you just drive in the 1st gate (ie the one nearest McDonalds) and pull up parallel to the pump. If you fill on the UK offside then there is loads of room to do a U-turn and pull up parallel that way.

That old problem pay machine was replaced and there is now a new one, with a new barrier system and I have not seen anyone having a problem now.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We were in the same position as you a few years ago. We were staying at the campsite at Neufchatel, which is next to the Aire and had a look at it.. On our way back we tried it as our first ever Aire and have never looked back since.
It was our first Aire too! Electric, WiFi, water and waste easy, big pitches. It also has toilets, showers on a meter and washers and dryers! Your wife will feel safe, and it may give her courage to try others, like it did us!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back