Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
G'day Campers,

after a bit of advice. Our first trip across the channel in our new van is booked for 2.5 weeks over Easter. We're planning on the Netherlands, a week up in Friesland and a week in Zeeland and a couple of days in Amsterdam.

We want to do a combo of aires and sites. I know it'll be first come for the aires, but for the sites should we book in advance? Secondly, what do people feel is the best option, MiniCampings or buy the ACSI book and use their sites. Issue with ACSI is that we'd could only use it for this trip as our next trip will be in peak season.

For Amsterdam we plan on using the Citycamp, is it idiot proof and will it be busy at this time of year? (we'll avoid the bank holiday weekend).

All advice welcome, together with any recommendations or ideas. We are taking the bikes and plan on doing a fair bit of cycling (with the dog!).

Oh, and we do appreciate that the weather will not be Mediterranean.

Thanks

Andy

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We are crossing from Harwich in 2 weeks time, and intend to tour the tulip field and then up to Edam. We have been 3 times before and use the ACSI book. It amazes me that we are 170 driving miles from home to Keukenhof bulb fields and 550 miles to Aviemore. The Netherland are so close. Have a lovely trip.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have just left Gouda this morning and are now near Keukenhof at camperplaat Hert Groene Hart, the weather is beautiful so hopefully it's nice in a couple of weeks time.

The City Camp for Amsterdam is great for visiting the city, the Aire at Gouda is perfectly functional but not a camp site but it's only 100 metres to the town centre and cycling around the canals and polders is lovely,

The Camperplaat Hert Groene Hart for Keukenhof is more like a campsite pitch with grass, and tulips of course but this is a busy time for them and most likely any around Keukenhof so booking might be a good idea if you wanted to do the bulbs.

Well impressed with the Netherlands and the friendly people.

And don't forget most of it is below sea level a and where we are now is 6 metres below, I hope the pumps don't stop:LOL:

Martin

EDIT and we are using the campercontact app on iPhone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We have just left Gouda this morning and are now near Keukenhof at camperplaat Hert Groene Hart, the weather is beautiful so hopefully it's nice in a couple of weeks time.

The City a Camp for Amsterdam is great for visiting the city, the Aire at Gouda is perfectly functional but not a camp site but it's only 100 metres to the town centre and cycling around the canals and polders is lovely,

Well impressed with the Netherlands and the friendly people.

Martin
Are there any good camp sites near Gouda? Amsterdam sounds wonderful. Hope the weather stays good for you.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Are there any good camp sites near Gouda? Amsterdam sounds wonderful. Hope the weather stays good for you.
I don't know about campsites but the aire at Klein Amerika is perfectly adequate €8 for 24 hours with electric/water/dump etc and all free on Sunday's, only a few hundred metres to the town square so couldn't be easier.

Martin

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
And don't forget most of it is below sea level a and where we are now is 6 metres below, I hope the pumps don't stop. Martin.

Oh come on, you don't really believe that myth about pumps keeping the water out. do you?
It's been scientifically proven that the young lad's finger is still there, doing it's job. Get real. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oh come on, you don't really believe that myth about pumps keeping the water out. do you?
It's been scientifically proven that the young lad's finger is still there, doing it's job. Get real. :)
Do you know why they graze sheep on the dykes, I bet you do;)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well I gues that same lad doesn't get a lot of exercise stuck in one place like that so often finds it difficult to get to sleep so...................... he knows exactly how many sheep there are. :)
We were told but don't quote me as it could be wrong:LOL:

As the moles or it might have been rabbits make holes and tunnels though the dykes they would start to leak but if the sheep graze they trample the ground and keep it compressed and hole free so thereby stopping the leaks.

Martin

Oct 17, 2012
banks
Funster No
MH
mercedes vario youngs con
Exp
City camp is idiot proof and about 300yards to a free ferry that runs all day and takes you into the centre off town . left out the gate is a great tat shop and further down the same way a great camping shop loads to see and do in the dam couple of big markets every day hope you enjoy it
Tony

OP
OP
A

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Well, we've arrived. Currently near Hoorn. Arrived today after overnighting at Gravelines.. Decided to give Amsterdam a miss as felt like too many places in a short time, we like to spend a few days at each place. Off to Texel in a couple of days and then onto Lisse, booked into Hert Groene Hart.

Great time so far, weather is currently good. Been having some issues with my new Revolut Card, although mainly user error, so far haven't managed to use it, although OH has.

Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back