Netflix via Chromecast when there is no wifi or mobile signal (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Hi,
I'm fairly new to this so please be gentle!
I have recently acquired a Chromecast device which I have linked with the Huawei mifi hub in my motorhome (the mifi has a Three PAYG SIM in it). I use films downloaded several days earlier via the Netflix app on my Samsung tablet (also linked to the mifi) as the source from which to cast to the TV.
Now the first time I used this combination everything worked really well - but the 2nd time I couldn't get Netflix to cast to the TV. The difference the 2nd time is that there was no mobile data left on the SIM.

The conclusion of my investigation is that the Netflix App MUST communicate via the web in order to verify the Netflix account/password. Can anyone confirm this for me?
If this is correct then this approach will not work when there is no site wifi or mobile signal and I need to come up with a different approach.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Did the film play on your tablet just not cast or were you unable to play at all?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Itsmcb - good point. The film was playing on the tablet but wouldn't cast to the TV. Hence the problem couldn't have been a Netflix one after all - so now I'm stumped again!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When you download a Netflix program it has a limited expiry date

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Can you connect your device to the internet via your phone to see if this helps ?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
If you can play the film on your tablet then it's a casting issue rather than a download issue. Sorry I don't know what a Chromecast requires, maybe a Google search is the way forward 👍

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Itsmcb - I'm now thinking that it could be a power supply problem to the Chromecast as I noticed that the 'little light' on the side of the device wasn't showing consistently. It's currently a USB lead from the Chromecast plugged into a USB to Cig lighter adaptor, plugged into a double cig lighter to single cig lighter adaptor (the other socket is for the TV), plugged into a cig lighter socket... perhaps this needs to be improved!

Deleted User
AFAIK Chromecast uses Google Home to communicate, in which case you will still need data to establish a connection even to watch recorded content. Long time since I've used it though preferring to use a Firestick instead. Someone may be among to put you right though.

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
AFAIK Chromecast uses Google Home to communicate, in which case you will still need data to establish a connection even to watch recorded content. Long time since I've used it though preferring to use a Firestick instead. Someone may be among to put you right though.
Now that would explain what was happening!

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Itsmcb - I'm now thinking that it could be a power supply problem to the Chromecast as I noticed that the 'little light' on the side of the device wasn't showing consistently. It's currently a USB lead from the Chromecast plugged into a USB to Cig lighter adaptor, plugged into a double cig lighter to single cig lighter adaptor (the other socket is for the TV), plugged into a cig lighter socket... perhaps this needs to be improved!
Do you have a usb socket on the back of your TV? It MAY supply sufficient current to power your chromecast, I have a couple of firesticks powered this way.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We tried to get this to work, but just couldn't get it to mirror / cast from the iPad to the Chromecast without using data.

According to the Google blurb online, it is supposed to be able to do a RF handshake, and that you can then mirror from the tablet / phone etc without using data. As we were using an iPad, we had the Apple Lightening cable but we still couldn't get it to work.

It would be very useful for when you're abroad and not on an unlimited data plan.

We've also got a Firestick, and we're having the same problem. 😟

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I think that you do need internet connection to watch downloaded films because, if your Netflix subscription has expired, you can’t watch them. (Speaking from experience :( )

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
could you not just run a usb/ hdmi cable from your tablet to the tv until you sort it out ?

Jul 24, 2020
San Antonio Tlayacapan, Mexico
Funster No
MH
2023 LTV Unity TB
Exp
AFIK, you need a live Chrome internet connection to be able to chromecast. If, for example, you were to access netflix using google chrome, then you would have no difficulty chromecasting. I don't see how you could do it with previously downloaded material. As an aside, that's how I watched the Euro Cup final here in Mexico, acquiring bbc iplayer through chrome usinga vpn and then casting it to my 65 inch samsung tv.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The older Chromecast devices can only stream content from the internet. When you 'cast', all you're doing is telling the Chromecast which Netflix video or YouTube clip you want to pull down. The video stream isn't actually going via your phone. So I'm also pretty sure that it can't play back stuff you've saved on your phone.

The newest 'Chromecast with Google TV' might be different as it's got far more smarts... not sure.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Casting requires "WiFi" (not internet). Viewing content, live or previously downloaded will probably require "internet" even if being done wirelessly or via HDMI/USB.

Does your TV have an option for Miracast?

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast™ enables seamless display of multimedia content between Miracast® devices. Miracast allows users to wirelessly share multimedia, including high-resolution pictures and high-definition (HD) video content between Wi-Fi devices, even if a Wi-Fi network is not available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back