Netflix - Downloading for use abroad (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I am considering joining Netflix, primarily to allow me to download and take material abroad to watch

1. Are there any licence/playing problems viewing this pre-downloaded material abroad?
2. Is there a decent selection of materials available on Netflix for storage/downloading?
3. What sort of storage capacity would I need on an Ipad or Android phone to store a typical boxset?
4. How long are they available for after downloading?
5. Has anyone an alternative for storing more material on an Ipad? - mine only has about 15Gb of storage left
6. Could I download material via a PC onto a Western Digital MyBook(USB connector) and then play back through the Avtec?

Sorry about all the questions :)

Last edited:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
NOTE You can only download onto a phone or tablet NOT onto your computer. However, there is no restriction on playing your download in any other country and you can always airplay or similar to a TV.

We do this all the time.

Also, Netflix works in most countries now anyway so if you do have enough bandwidth to stream then you can just stream.

Netflix is excellent value

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We use our daughters Netflix here in Spain, the only problem I have is Janie puts it on in the kitchen while cooking dinner...............
So I listen to the first half, :eek: she then sits at the dinning table and puts in on so I watch the second half. :rolleyes:
:LOL: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Remember that the content offered on Netflix will vary from country to country...
So if you use your UK Netflix account in Spain, the content will be different to that when you log in in the UK, due to who owns thoses rights in Spain. On the flip side, you may find content available in Spain that is not available in the UK...

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
You can download to a windows PC.

The download destination is a hidden folder. You cannot change it to an external drive (for example in windows). However, you can locate the folder and move the files off to an external HDD, moving them back into the default folder as you want to watch them.

They tend to expire approx 30 days following first watch - this is important if you have downloaded a series. As soon as you watch episode one, the other episodes will expire after 30 days.

You can easily reset the timer, by right clicking on the file and updating it. This doesnt redownload the file, it just extends the file expiry date (good).

I would also ensure that your PC / tablet etc is offline when you decide to watch a program. This prevents Netflix from realising that you are in a differrant region which can sometimes result in a licensing error.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
you can locate the folder and move the files off to an external HDD, moving them back into the default folder as you want to watch them.
How would you locate the folder if it`s hidden please ?

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
you can find it here:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Packages\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8\LocalState\offlineInfo\downloads

Paste the above into the address bar in windows explorer.

Substitute user for your user name.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Remember that the content offered on Netflix will vary from country to country...
So if you use your UK Netflix account in Spain, the content will be different to that when you log in in the UK, due to who owns thoses rights in Spain. On the flip side, you may find content available in Spain that is not available in the UK...
I think you will find the content is the same as you will have a UK account. We certainly get exactly the same in Malta as we do in the UK

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I think you will find the content is the same as you will have a UK account. We certainly get exactly the same in Malta as we do in the UK
When I log into my UK account here in Spain, the content is different...as Netflix will not have the rights to show certain content in Spain.
In the same way, if I log into my Spanish account in the Uk... most of the Spanish content is not available!
Which is why, for example, the UK only got Friends this January, but in Spain it has been available for ages.
If your UK account gets the same content when you log in in Malta, then you are very lucky...that is not usually the case, as it means their IP Address checks are not working correctly

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When I log into my UK account here in Spain, the content is different...as Netflix will not have the rights to show certain content in Spain.
In the same way, if I log into my Spanish account in the Uk... most of the Spanish content is not available!
Which is why, for example, the UK only got Friends this January, but in Spain it has been available for ages.
If your UK account gets the same content when you log in in Malta, then you are very lucky...that is not usually the case, as it means their IP Address checks are not working correctly
Interesting. When we were travelling in the US last year I also didn’t notice any difference.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Interesting. When we were travelling in the US last year I also didn’t notice any difference.

Like i said, switching between my UK and Spanish account here in Spain I can see many differences in content...even the "trendings" are different, obviously based on "local" trends...

finder.com/global-netflix-library-totals

Content will differ depending on where you log on to your account...unless you are using a p2p , vpn or smart dns service, which may help get you the correct content..."but Netflix strongly discourages this practice."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back