Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
I see that Google nest have now released their new version of indoor powered nest cam.
it’s pretty good value at £89 and will stream permanently to my current nest aware subscription.
I intend to install one in our Motorhome to keep an eye on it whilst in storage

It needs permanent power so my question is if it can run on 12v ?
it comes with a usb a cable and a 7.5w adapter to use in a mains plug.
if I plug it into the vans 12v supply will that be enough to operate it ?
I realise this is a new model but I suspect some of you will have tried the older model or perhaps a different make camera on 12v.

thanks in anticipation of some helpful advice.
Cheers.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Would you not just run it off a fixed or plug in cigarette socket style USB socket.. (y)
The same as using anything now with a USB like charging a phone or tablet..

7.5w is quite a small amount if that is what you are conserned about, however over time it all adds up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Would you not just run it off a fixed or plug in cigarette socket style USB socket.. (y)
The same as using anything now with a USB like charging a phone or tablet..
Thanks but you may have misunderstood my question.
I want to run the camera when not on electric hook up , so it would need to be powered on 12v only.
as you say , I could plug it into many different type ports , but they would only provide 12v power and I’m trying to find out if the nest cam ( or other indoor camera ) will run on 12v only ?
thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks but you may have misunderstood my question.
I want to run the camera when not on electric hook up , so it would need to be powered on 12v only.
as you say , I could plug it into many different type ports , but they would only provide 12v power and I’m trying to find out if the nest cam ( or other indoor camera ) will run on 12v only ?
thanks again

(y)
But it does not run on 12v..... As it has a USB cable, the standard is only 5 v..
The mains plug in adaptor will be converting 230v ac into 5v DC
Same as your USB oulets in the van or a plug in type adapter will change 12vdc to 5vdc.. All you need to ensure is that it has a 2 amp capability, some or only 1 amp and thats a bit low for your use.

Hope thats making sense..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
(y)
But it does not run on 12v..... As it has a USB cable, the standard is only 5 v..
The mains plug in adaptor will be converting 230v ac into 5v DC
Same as your USB oulets in the van or a plug in type adapter will change 12vdc to 5vdc.. All you need to ensure is that it has a 2 amp capability, some or only 1 amp and thats a bit low for your use.

Hope thats making sense..
Ah. Thanks for that.
think best thing to do is buy the cam , plug it in and see if it works. If it doesn’t I can return it.
I’ll let this forum know the result.
cheers.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
I had a quick look at the spec and it if it doesn't need a hub and you have wifi in your moho it could be be a good option. I have done the same but with a Ring battery Cam and have it plugged into a usb to trickle charge the battery though it should last 2/3 months without charging. I set it to alert me on my phone if any movement detected within the moho when not in use or when we've gone on a walk or in the pub.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
I had a quick look at the spec and it if it doesn't need a hub and you have wifi in your moho it could be be a good option. I have done the same but with a Ring battery Cam and have it plugged into a usb to trickle charge the battery though it should last 2/3 months without charging. I set it to alert me on my phone if any movement detected within the moho when not in use or when we've gone on a walk or in the pub.
Thanks. Yes that’s the sort of thing I want to do. We have Wi-Fi in the van that’s on all the time , and we also have a nest aware subscription from our cameras at home.
hoping it will work when plugged in to the 12v socket and if so it should be a good option.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
7.5w / 12 volts = 0.625 amps. That's 15Ah per day... which is quite a bit.

In reality, 7.5w is probably peak draw, but it's still not insignificant unless you are plugged in during the winter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
7.5w / 12 volts = 0.625 amps. That's 15Ah per day... which is quite a bit.

In reality, 7.5w is probably peak draw, but it's still not insignificant unless you are plugged in during the winter.
That’s really helpful.
I’ve got 3 solar panels so hopefully this will be enough to keep it all topped up during winter storage if nothing else is turned on ?

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That’s really helpful.
I’ve got 3 solar panels so hopefully this will be enough to keep it all topped up during winter storage if nothing else is turned on ?

As you have WiFi, you should also be thinking of a way of monitoring battery state, so you can do something if you can see your batteries getting knackered.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I was considering using a Blink camera. Although you can plug them in, they are designed to run off batteries, so they are lower power.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
I was considering using a Blink camera. Although you can plug them in, they are designed to run off batteries, so they are lower power.
Have also thought about one of these , but as I already have a nest aware subscription it seems sensible to make use of it if I can

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back