Nervous/exited - France here we come! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
D

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
How fabulous! That is going to be our destination of choice for our first trip abroad with the van too, but not until late September.

I hope you have a great time and would love to hear how you get on.
Bon Voyage

We'll report back when we return.

Thanks for all the comments:thanks:

OP
OP
D

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, got back last night having had a brilliant fortnight in Brittany. The van performed superbly and we suffered no issues on that front. The weather was great and even if we has rain 1st thing in the morning, it cleared quickly and every day apart from 1 was sunny. We managed to remember to take everything we needed with us, mostly bought from ebay. These included: headlight deflectors, breathyliser kits (2), reflective jackets (£1 shop), spare bulb kit and warning triangle. We didn't use any of them!
Driving was really easy with well maintained, well signposted roads. We mainly used Super U supermarkets which price wise were a bit more expensive than the UK, with the exception of wine and beer which was cheaper!
We used our bikes a lot and there were a lot if well signposted cycle routes, especially around the Gulfe De Morbihan, where we were in our 2nd week.
The only thing we didn't like were the toilets on the sites we stayed on - no toilet paper provided in one and no seats in both. Also, no soap to wash your hands. I think this is quite usual in France. Restaurants we used did have these things.
The 2nd week, when we were inland, we did get bitten by mosquito's most nights, despite trying to guard against this with wipes, keeping the fly screens closed on the van, but they still got us! The 1st week, when we were by the sea in Benodet, we were fine and unscathed.
We are now looking at planning next year, a bit further South maybe, keeping to the coast to avoid the mosquito's!
So my advise if you haven't driven your van abroad before is DO IT, IT's FANTASTIC AND EASY!!::bigsmile:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Passports
E60 cards
Euros
Map -satnav

and mozzie spray and anti-histamine cream for bites. It's expensive from local pharmacies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Nervous/exited -

Hi Dai::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Have a great trip:thumb: ; I'm still plucking up the courage !!:Sad:
Perhaps you can post a thread when you get back, to help us ditherers:RollEyes:
Have a good'un:thumb:

OP
OP
D

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Dai::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Have a great trip:thumb: ; I'm still plucking up the courage !!:Sad:
Perhaps you can post a thread when you get back, to help us ditherers:RollEyes:
Have a good'un:thumb:

Just come back and posted an update - see page 4::bigsmile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
In most towns and villages average price of an excellent meal with wine/cider etc is around the 10.50/12.50euro mark. Look out for the ones with trucks and vans parked nearby...

Our village restaurant/bar serves a meal with starter,main course,cheese,dessert,coffee - all cooked to order, local produce. With the meal you get a bottle of wine, a bottle of cider and a carafe of water - when the wine/cider's finished it's replaced free. 11.20 euros. (A good proportion of the veg are from our garden :winky:)...

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
In most towns and villages average price of an excellent meal with wine/cider etc is around the 10.50/12.50euro mark. Look out for the ones with trucks and vans parked nearby...

Our village restaurant/bar serves a meal with starter,main course,cheese,dessert,coffee - all cooked to order, local produce. With the meal you get a bottle of wine, a bottle of cider and a carafe of water - when the wine/cider's finished it's replaced free. 11.20 euros. (A good proportion of the veg are from our garden :winky:)...

:Smile:

That sounds lovely. Where abouts are you? We are coming back through Normandy in October?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back