Negotiating price on first motorhome (used) ... (1 Viewer)

suemac43

Free Member
Jul 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Hello all
We are just about to purchase our first (used) motorhome and have seen and test driven the one we want. I have purchased Jim's guide to buying a motorhome and had a quick look through the negotiation on price section but this was after our 2 visits to see the motorhome.

At the first visit, we let the salesman know we were very interested and asked if they could negotiate on price, but after 'checking with the boss' were given a firm 'no, its a good price plus 3 year warranty, MOT, tax etc included' so we left and said we'd think about it. They let us walk away with no attempt to make any offer. The second time we test drove it (a week later), again we left and no attempt on salesman's behalf to try and get us to buy. I am just wondering if this implies that they will not budge on the price, or should we keep trying? Anyone with experience of this, or any advice / comments welcome please. Thanks for your help in advance.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Congrats & well done(y)
They are my nearest dealer so I pop in quite often and was tempted by an Adria Twin a few months ago. I got as far as getting a part ex price for mine which I was ok with (hadn't really any idea how much to expect) but I refused to test drive due to having problems with my shoulder and didn't feel happy taking a van out & not feeling in control of it - they rang me a few times to see if I was still interested so I will remember to stay cool when I do come to change:D2

How did you get the price down? did you just offer a lower figure or did they come back with something they'd accept? (your op was a subject I've always wondered about, especially as I'm now solo)

Wishing you lots of lovely trips and happy memories!

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Congratulations. The £1500 is certainly going to come in handy for all the equipment needed when kitting out a Motorhome or camper for the first time. Good luck!

NO NO No No No - please don't start buying "kit" until you've had some experience with your lovely new truck. You can start off by robbing the cupboards at home until you find out what you REALLY need. I'd bet most of us have got a garage/shed half full of "that's a good idea items", not to mention the stuff we carry that never gets used (that's my pet complaint!)

Happy travelling with your new toy - and remember we're always here to help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
NO NO No No No - please don't start buying "kit" until you've had some experience with your lovely new truck. You can start off by robbing the cupboards at home until you find out what you REALLY need. I'd bet most of us have got a garage/shed half full of "that's a good idea items", not to mention the stuff we carry that never gets used (that's my pet complaint!)

Fully agree. Lots of comments and lots of opinions on what you need but Terrys advice is excellent. Gas bottle(s), a means of filling water, hook up cable toilet chemicals and levelling ramps (probably medium sized eg Fiamma) are all probably needed but the "kid in a sweet shop" syndrome can definitely be applied to accessory shops as well.

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Congratulations on getting the Ayers Rock, we collected ours yesterday and are soooo happy with it!

Blissful night's sleep last night and it was a real touch of luxury when compared with the Devon Colorado we traded in.

Blue skies and happy travels!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

suemac43

Free Member
Jul 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Gosh ... what a fabulous forum I have found! I never expected so much advice, support and generally welcoming responses, so thank you all so much, can’t wait to get started on our adventures and very happy to
join the club!
Regards equipment, will take your advice Hymer1961 and not get too carried away, but realise we will need to grab a few things straight away, I am searching a checklist as we ‘speak’.
My experience seems to have been better than yours Gavlad ... we visited and mooched about the van (plus many others) and no one bothered us, left us to look in peace but offered help if we had questions. On first question about any discount, it did seem as you said ‘take it or leave it’ attitude.
As for getting the discount finally, we turned up 30mins before closing, had a chat with the sales guy (who remembered us from week before) ... I followed Jim’s advice “hubby wants it but I’m hesitant as outside our agreed budget” He asked what our budget was, I said 37000, immediate “can’t possibly” so I asked what he could do to help us out a bit. He muttered about seeing what he could, disappeared for a couple of minutes and came back with reluctant offer of 1250 off. I ummed and aahed a bit, asked if he’d accept 41K and he said 41500 last offer. Accepted! If I was a better negotiator, I might have done better, but glad I had a little success anyway ?.
We have to pick up in 9 days so fingers crossed all will be well with handover and paperwork.
Thanks again for everything, I will no doubt be back very soon with a myriad of questions.
Glad to hear someone is loving their Ayers Rock!
Sorry for such a long post ... too excited!!

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
With those "negotiating" skills you'll be well at home in Morocco. Would love to see you in action in the souks! Sometime soon maybe?

But anyway, we're all delighted you've achieved what you wanted - a great van in which to enjoy your adventures. Good luck in the future, and let us know if we can help again.

:dance2::dance2::dance2:

Upvote 0
May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011

You’re quite right, I’ve got an inflatable giraffe and a running machine in mine, should come in handy if anyone’s kitting out a Motorhome.

Upvote 0

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Heres a couple more tips (three actually) for starters (although these things are probably more relevant for longer trips).
We use packing cubes for smaller items of clothing (Eagle Creek double sided) They are expensive but you can get 15% discount from Cotswold with a CAMC card. They make storing clothes in an overhead locker easy and accessible and segregate clean and dirty washing. See You-Tube for demonstrations

Camping towels dry (themselves) quicker are better for your skin and take up less space. Ours are ten years old and as good as new. Some people dislike them though.

An external screen is a boon for late season or winter camping. Internal screens don't work as well although they can be useful in some circumstances. Panel Van Conversions are not as well insulated as Coachbuilts and the windscreen is a cold (or hot in summer) spot There are two main manufacturers Silver Screen (which can sometimes also be a generic name also like biro or hoover) and Taylormade. Around £200 or secondhand on Fun or e-bay. Like Marmite some people favour one brand and some say the other is better. there are lots of threads debating the pros and cons of internal versus external and Silver Screen versus Taylormade.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We are also new so bought quite a bit of stuff we didn’t actually need!

By far the best thing we bought was a Moroccan rug which I think is about 6M x 2.5M. Keeps the van nice and clean light and easy to store!

You can buy them online from a place in Llanelli.
Happy travels

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We are also new so bought quite a bit of stuff we didn’t actually need!

By far the best thing we bought was a Moroccan rug which I think is about 6M x 2.5M. Keeps the van nice and clean light and easy to store!

You can buy them online from a place in Llanelli.
Happy travels

Or even in Morocco!

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I wish I'd seen this thread previously and could have posted in time, before you made the purchase.

Delighted you got the van you wanted, by the way! And with some discount too.

However, there is one more thing you might have been able to try - to add value from your perspective - to 'seal the deal'. At the very final stage of negotiation, when the dealer has made their final offer on price, indicate that if they will include a couple of years of habitation services, that would conclude the sale.

From the dealer's perspective the true cost is much much less than the retail price, and it is not a cost to the business now (only later). It also indicates you want to have a long term relationship with the dealer ie a demonstration of good faith on your part.

Even if you can only secure one free hab service, rather than 2, it is likely to save you circa £200 in 12 months time.

But, as said, glad you got the van. And as you'd mentioned, it was less than other similar ones you'd seen - so should be a good deal overall.

Happy adventures in your new camper! (y)

Upvote 0

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Great tips, GSD, much appreciated.
Had a look on e-bay and many of the external screens are "clones" or of doubtful quality even if referred to as "Silver Screens" So if you go down the second hand route make sure they are a genuine Silver Screen or Taylormade. I should say there are some quality German screens made as well but I have no direct experience of them I have always bought from the man in Cleckheaton.

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I have a couple of Hammam Towels, bought them at Amazon, very big, very soft and super absorbent plus quick to dry

Hammam Towel

I have both the grey and blue, plus a smaller one for my hair.

They're not made of towelling but very soft cotton.

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Welcome to motorhoming.
After 15 years of caravanning we changed to a motorhome and fortunately had nearly everything to go in it.
Enjoy and live the life.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back