Need to sell the van, ideas please (1 Viewer)

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
We’ve had a difficult couple of years healthwise and I have derived huge hope and comfort from lurking on this forum. Thanks to everyone. Loving your trip,Tam!
My 85 year old husband was still able to drive around the South of France last autumn and we had a lovely time. We have been so lucky to have been vanning for the last 24 years, it has been a huge part of our lives.
Sadly he died last week and I am now faced with selling our 2014 Rapido 640. Does anyone know of dealers who are honest? I haven’t a clue as to the value.
My family would like to sell privately but I am nervous. For one thing I don’t know what to ask and I can only find a couple online.
Maybe one day I will get another van (I’m much younger than him!) but that is too far in the future to consider at present.
All suggestions appreciated.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Downsie
So sorry to read of your loss. My condolences to you and your family.
It sounds like you have had great times travelling about together and so have some lovely memories to hold on to.
Your family are correct in that you would get a better price selling privately but you have to be prepared for the emotional cost of that as you may have to put up with buyers poking about and making comments and so on and that will be hard. Ideally you would want to have someone with you when strangers view.

With a dealer it’s shake hands, leave the keys and your done.

If you stick with this thread, I am sure that someone knowledgable about prices will come along.
Then, you could try an advert on this forum first.
Wishing you well.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I’m so sorry babe,,,,

Whatever you decide, I’m sure it will all workout ok!

And as long as you get some enjoyment from the forums and threads on here, keep reading,,, And as for tam,,,, he needs all the help he can get,,, he is Scottish!! Lol. X

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi @Downsie first of all, so sorry to hear about your loss.
Would you capable of driving the motorhome you have now, if so, give it a couple of months before you make the decision whether to sell or not, things can look a bit different after a few months.
If you do decide to sell, I’m sure someone on here will give you some sound advice.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
So sorry to hear of your husbands death condolences to you and your family. I lost mine in 2012 so I have an idea of what you are going through at the moment.
As @Riverbankannie said selling privately will give you a better price it just depends on how quickly you want to sell.
Why don’t you give Peter @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes a pm they are a very good company to deal with (I know from experience)
Stay strong

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I'm very sorry to read of your loss, my condolences to you and your family at this sad time.

I've just had a very quick look and there's one currently being marketed on the CMC classifieds, which appears to be via a dealer SMC for £46,995.00 link here. I don't know the milage or spec of your MH but if similar to the one advertised, I would suggest you could advertise for around £43,995.00.

Knowing the markup dealers make, I suspect they would offer in the region of £36,000.00, perhaps a bit more if you were trading in!!

Do you have a family member that could assist you selling privately?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can't help with the sale but sending you much strength to see you through. What lovely memories you have made .. may they bring you comfort. Xx

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My sincere condolences for the death of your husband.
I would follow @daveandsan 's advice, give it a while before you make any decisions.
This time next year you may feel like hopping over the channel again.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Glad you had some happy times with your husband. I would follow the advice previously given with your motorhome if its done about 20k and in good condition SMC are selling for $47k so ask 3 to 4k less. You could ask a few dealers for a price first and it would be easy to sell that way but you will get less.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
@Downsie ... I am so sorry for your loss. I know a little of what you are going through, having lost my wife of 46 years last July.
My advice for what it maybe worth, is to take your time making any big decisions. I know I made some in haste that were not the best when my mind was clouded with grief.
I hope you find comfort remembering all the great memories of the times you had together ...... my deepest sympathy, Jim

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Awww that's sad to read...so sorry for your loss.
Why not try a classified add on here first and see how you get on ... selling privately is always going to get you more than a dealer will give you but as others have said doing that yourself may be hard.
Maybe a family member could help or a close by funster.
Certainly if I was in your area is be happy to show people round it and beat the best price out of them

Good luck and hope it all turns out well

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
So sorry to hear about your loss we have just given up motorhoming after 16 years doing 6 months at a time ,my wife developed alzheimer,s 3 years ago hope you can still do what you want

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Sad for your loss, if you decide not to keep the M/H sell it through a dealer , I have done this twice, the dealer should ask what you want, and price it accordingly . They usually charge 10% .
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
So sorry to hear of your loss.

I am assuming your Wickford is in Essex, if so you could try dealers Cranham of Upminster http://www.cranham.co.uk/ on their website they always claim to be seeking good clean vans.

Good luck for your future.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry to hear your news and thoughts are with you at this time.
You have wonderful memories to hold on to and when you are ready there is a wonderful single lady group on here who can offer you comfort ( called Flora @movan will help.) they have many adventures together.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
So sorry for your loss.
Lots of good advice re selling, and I can add nothing to that so will wish you strength and happy memories.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
So sorry to hear of your loss. A difficult time for you but there is some good advice here and, given his passing is so recent, maybe the best thing is to wait a while at least and, if you have to sell, wait until spring is in the air and it's possibly a better time to sell.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Sorry to hear of your loss. As others have said take your time, dont jump into a sale. Are you sure you don't want to keep it?
I am sure when you come to sell you will have no problems after all it's a nice van.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Of course suffice to say that we are sorry for you loss but you must have 24 wonderful years of Motorhoming memories.

With regards selling your van, why not speak with John Cross motorhomes. They offer an opportunity to sell on your behalf for commission. You don't need to get involved and John is a long standing member of this forum and a well trusted and respected individual.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If this one is like yours ----- Broken Link Removed ---- then I would like a dealer to pay me £44,000 minimum. Invite your local dealer around and see if you can get anywhere near that. Or contact John Cross - he's a member on here -http://www.johnscross.co.uk/

I am sorry for your loss but try and remember those great moments you have had on your travels.
Mourn the death but also try to celebrate a great life.

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
So sorry for your loss.It does get better in time.
I was in a similar position 2 years ago when my husband died after a short illness.
I knew I wouldn’t be happy driving our LHD Rapido on my own.As the value was over £40,000 I chose to use a broker, Motorhome Depot.
They did all the leg work, advertising,vetting possible viewers etc etc.
But the main thing is they can offer finance to people.
They arrange to meet the client at your own home or wherever the Motorhome is situated and do a thorough showing of your vehicle.They can go for a test drive as they have their own insurance and you or a family member can be there to give the personal touch and give extra info.In my case after the first couple of viewings it was going to be difficult for the van to stay on my drive as I was having major building work done.They took my van up to their storage unit in Surrey gave it a good clean down and sold it from there.
I now have a much smaller van and enjoying the lifestyle once more.

Helen

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
So sorry to read of your recent bereavement and we send our best wishes to you at such a difficult time .
Lots of good and kind advice on here .good luck.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Downsie
Please accept my condolences at the loss of your husbnad. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories.

One of the best pieces of advice I received when I lost my husband was to hang fire making any major decisions. I ended up keeping the van and to be honest it was the best thing I did. The supoort and friendship through this forum has been a real help.

My brother in law sold his van to Chelstons in Taunton (I can see its quite a way from you) last year. They were good to deal with but he did lose quite a bit of money on it.

I wish you all the best.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Again so sorry for your loss

Although I do not know you personally, I live in Hornchurch.
If you need any help with the van, whether to assist you if you decide to go down the private sale or whether you wish to deal with a MH dealer or any area, I am more than happy to be at hand to offer any support and assistance. Also if you keep this thread going others will help out I'm sure.

I sold my last van directly to a dealer who gave me what I was looking for but again please do not rush into anything regarding the van.
Regards

Peter

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
So sorry to hear of the passing of your husband. You have other priorities, take the van of the road, do some future planning and then decide what to do. You may even decide to meet up with the other Funster ladies in similar situation
images

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back