LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Have been comparing the 2 vans in the links in an earlier post.

The one that is being considered I wonder what the pop riveted metal plate on the bottom of the rear nearside is covering and also what is the drop down flap on the offside halfway up. There has also been an extra grill fitted between the 2 fridge vents.

The one at telford appears to have a satellite dish fitted and has a reversing camera and extra storage box on the back. It is also on the same trading estate as Dave Newell @dave newell lvs , is he branching out into sales? or perhaps he knows of the vehicle and could give advise if the op wants to know more about that vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I purchased a new 2002 Hymer 544 Classic and sold it after 10 years. During that time I only had to replace the alternator and wheel bearings. Suggest you check the van roof for damp where the front sloping bit meets the edge of the roof line - water can collect in this area. I note that the vehicle has air suspension. Perhaps the previous owners have increased the carrying capacity to over 3500Kg. In which case, your driving licence may not permit this. Check the V5C and VIN plate. The roof skylight winder shaft is probably corroded. I had to remove mine and lubricate. You can only access the shaft from the roof so if you can't raise the skylight, you're stuffed. The electric step may have a burnt out motor - allow at least £500 to rectify (probably best to buy a new step complete). Considering all the problems (and the one's you don't know about), £10k may be a reasonable valuation. Nice van though from my experience. I sold mine in 2012 for £20k - but then, it was in perfect working condition.

Lee27

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644GL
Exp
since 2007
It would but the problem with that type is that you would have to push the pins through the wall coverings to get an accurate reading.

A non invasive type is usually a better bet for motorhome use.

A lot of us have this one:

That's a good price too, most of us paid around £50 :(

Hi Nick

It's ok you can smile again; the one linked to is £30 to hire for a week

Lee

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
£30 to hire for a week

:Eeek:

Bugger.

Didn't read that properly.

Can't buy it anywhere else at the moment though. The website we all bought them for 50 notes from is no longer functioning.

Lee27

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644GL
Exp
since 2007

Can't buy it anywhere else at the moment though.

I noticed that too, I had a look round as i like the look of the one you posted, there is a couple like it on ebay but very expensive

Lee

OP
OP
Laura F

Laura F

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
And yes the the roof skylight winder shaft is not working, did not get the message until it was 2 late X

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations you will have great adventures post some pictures when you have sorted it all out! I bet your children are very excited and chosen their cupboards and beds already!!
Enjoy!:):sun:(y)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Enjoy your van , exiting times . I bought an old hymer and had to do a few bits . Joining fun is probs the best money spent so far. it has been for me (y)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Congrats on your purchase - enjoy.

The skylight can stick around the rubber seal. Try turning the winder handle in a clockwise direction and at the same time pushing the skylight up with your hand. If it starts rising a bit, you can then try to separate the rubber seal from the plastic skylight with a blunt screwdriver or plastic credit card.

You may find that the engine cover is a tad difficult to remove. It is held in place along the top edge by 2 clips. I found it best to unclipped the left one first then the right one. Once you get the nack it is easy. The whole cover comes off.

Best of luck :)

OP
OP
Laura F

Laura F

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
Thanks every one, I was awake at 6 and draining the boiler, I am letting it drain right down and then going to look at the hot water feeds that come out of it to see if I can find a easy fix to the problem. Already discoverd that the whole top half of the auto drain down comes off and no sure this should be happening, I am already thinking I might swap that out to a manual drain haha it's started lol I am quiet handy and not just a pretty face haha x

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hope you and the family have loads of fun adventures in your new toy. :)

OP
OP
Laura F

Laura F

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
Ok I have had a little play, husband made me spend all morning doing the rubbish stuff like insurance, road side recovery tax ect.

But I have had a little play, I now have a small dribble of water coming thought the hot water pipes !! But the red light is flashing on and off, could this happen if I have blown a fuse? Lots of power to and in the van X

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Laura why not start a new thread about the boiler then all those techs etc may read it and offer help! Me I know nowt about electrics soz!!

OP
OP
Laura F

Laura F

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
Being lazy, I will do it after the school run X

Scarabs

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
2 years
Hi there, the water issue could be as simple as a blocked water pump filter or a loose wire. I would locate all parts in the water system so start from the water tank and work your way to the taps.
Check there is water in the tank.
Check there is no blocked filters.
If there is a water pump check that it has power and is pumping fluid.
Check all pipe work for blockages.
Check the tap it's self for blockage
Check power supply to boiler.
Find out if it's gas/lpg/electric or both.
Assuming that you have water going to it and power give it 40mins at least to heat up.

Along the way your likely to come across something that's not working right. As and when you can diagnose the problem further update us all and we'll fine tune the problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back