Need some advice (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Dear Funsters,

Last year due to Covid, we were forced cut short our travels around the UK. Due to our government's overnight decision to stop all incoming flights to South Africa, we were forced to store our camper at a site close to Heathrow Airport, in order to catch a repatriation flight back to South Africa (after we spent three weeks stuck in a pub's parking lot, unable to move).

At the time I thought that we would be able to return this summer, complete our trip, and sell the camper. Unfortunately it seems like we would not be able to return in the near future due to the South African variant and our lagging vaccination effort.

I'm currently paying £80 a month for storage.
I'm wondering if it would be possible to move the camper to a cheaper site? Any advice on a reliable company that I can use, and a cheaper storage site that is not too far from the current one? It's a 1997 Fiat Ducato Swift Mondial.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry I can’t help with storage sites in that area.

I know it may be a bitter pill to swallow,but have you considered selling the van? Prices here are high at the moment,maybe even from a dealer. Your van isn’t going to like sitting about for months,and will deteriorate.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
R
Apr 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato

I know it may be a bitter pill to swallow,but have you considered selling the van? Prices here are high at the moment,maybe even from a dealer. Your van isn’t going to like sitting about for months,and will deteriorate.

Just a thought.
I have considered selling as a last resort, but I'm not 100% sure how to go about selling the van from abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I replied with some thoughts around May 17th and our probable opening of internal travel.

I would be really tempted to wait and see what happens around 10th May and note any countries that were green. This would mean you are note required to quarantine upon arrival in UK if you have been in that country for 10 days.

So I would look for a country that was green, and also required no quarantine for you to enter from SA and have a 10 holiday there then drop into UK and continue your adventure.

At the moment, the likely candidates for Green are Israel, Maldives, Seychelles, a few Caribbean Islands, and allegedly, there is an outside chance of Portugal.

If you go to here. Broken Link Removed

You will see that I update daily the European rates. As a minimum they need to be below 50, I suspect, and not even the UK is there yet.

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
£80 per month near Heathrow is not a bad price really. Other than selling I dont think you will find a cheaper option without moving the motorhome to a more rural location. I was paying £860 per annum in Hampshire whilst we built an extension and new driveway.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years

Just a thought.
I agree sell now we did and don't regret it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
If your in South Africa how would you move it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back