Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Argh need a new fridge.😭
Just had yearly hab check done and heating matrix is not connected to back of fridge. Does explain why fridge has been working intermittently.
Can try to wedge pipe across but its a short term fix. Ultimately need a new one. Dont make mine anymore since 12 years old. Beleive its a RML955L Been advised replacement is Dometic 10.5t
circa 2.5k installed.
Seen a few second hand ones on ebay cira 1k but never convinced with 2nd hand ones amd atleast the 10.5 will be new technology.
Anyone else got one of these fridges, any good?
My local guy cannot replace until end Sept so might need to think about finding someone else do replace it.
Gonna try a wedge a weekend to see if can use in meantime.
Still a new fridge is cheaper than a new van 😂

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We’ve got a series 10 fridge and have been very pleased with it so far.
The freezer is cold enough to keep ice cream hard and the wire internal shelves are a great improvement on the previous plastic ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Argh need a new fridge.😭
Just had yearly hab check done and heating matrix is not connected to back of fridge. Does explain why fridge has been working intermittently.
Can try to wedge pipe across but its a short term fix. Ultimately need a new one. Dont make mine anymore since 12 years old. Beleive its a RML955L Been advised replacement is Dometic 10.5t
circa 2.5k installed.
Seen a few second hand ones on ebay cira 1k but never convinced with 2nd hand ones amd atleast the 10.5 will be new technology.
My local guy cannot replace until end Sept so might need to think about finding someone else do replace it.
Don't understand the diagnosis. The cooling unit is a single entity unconnected with anything else. It is supported by the fridge cabinet and has the fins inside screwed to it. What exactly has gone wrong?

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Don't understand the diagnosis. The cooling unit is a single entity unconnected with anything else. It is supported by the fridge cabinet and has the fins inside screwed to it. What exactly has gone wrong?
I have been told the cooling matrix has come away from the fridge. From the access hole outside the van, there is a pipe running along. If you grab the pipe and move it back and forwards you can hear it knocking against the back of the fridge. The engineer told me the rivets on the cooling unit have come loose and its not longer connected. I can wedge the pipe to push the unit back onto the fridge to cool it buts its a short term fix. The fridge is Dometic RM7655L - 12 years old.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have been told the cooling matrix has come away from the fridge. From the access hole outside the van, there is a pipe running along. If you grab the pipe and move it back and forwards you can hear it knocking against the back of the fridge. The engineer told me the rivets on the cooling unit have come loose and its not longer connected. I can wedge the pipe to push the unit back onto the fridge to cool it buts its a short term fix. The fridge is Dometic RM7655L - 12 years old.
Fixing the riveted fasteners is cheap and easy. The finned part inside the fridge is also easily removed, cleaned, and replaced using new heat sink compound. It depends on whether you're comfortable doing the work. From what you have said there's nothing wrong with the working parts that a little TLC can't fix.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Dont understand, if the pipes are still actually connected, hence the wooden wedge, then surely it should be possible to re-rivet it?
Might have to take the whole thing out but worth a good look surely?
Mike

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Dont understand, if the pipes are still actually connected, hence the wooden wedge, then surely it should be possible to re-rivet it?
Might have to take the whole thing out but worth a good look surely?
Mike
Good point might have to take the fridge out at the weekend and have a proper look. See if can be re attached. Thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In all honesty it has no bearing on the fridge working if the external condenser pipework is hanging free as long as the internal evaporator is attached in side. as long as the gas/220v/12v part is all ok & working sold not be a problem

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I can now remove a fridge in about 5 mins after a few practice runs recently! 1 gas connector, 3 electrical connectors, 4 screws around the frame - and out!

Given the price of these things it’s worth getting brave, even if you stuff it up you’ll be no worries off!

Good luck

Jim

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I can now remove a fridge in about 5 mins after a few practice runs recently! 1 gas connector, 3 electrical connectors, 4 screws around the frame - and out!

Given the price of these things it’s worth getting brave, even if you stuff it up you’ll be no worries off!

Good luck

Jim
Do you take the doors off first? Or just take it out in one?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Do you take the doors off first? Or just take it out in one?
Take the doors off after you have eased it out. An open door is helpful as a lifting point to do any necessary wiggling but after that is just more weight. If you need to take it out of the motorhome you may need the doors off so it'll fit through the hab doorway.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Have a look at Thetford fridges. Much better quality than Dometic in my opinion
Try browsing Thetford fridge spares or repairs on ebay, then have a look for a Dometic, they are like hens teeth, there's a reason for that.
Even Thetford fridge doors, too many to count, the Thetford fridge looks the mutts but the Dometic fridge usually lasts.

Mine is 26yrs old & counting, 29c out today & my fridge is icy cold, just had a cold drink & ice cubes from it.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Take the doors off after you have eased it out. An open door is helpful as a lifting point to do any necessary wiggling but after that is just more weight. If you need to take it out of the motorhome you may need the doors off so it'll fit through the hab doorway.
It an a class Rapido, only way out is to remove passenger seat and through door I believe.
I doubt it would fit though hab door.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
It an a class Rapido, only way out is to remove passenger seat and through door I believe.
I doubt it would fit though hab door.
I left the doors on, but on my Rapido it won’t fit through the hab door…..so into the bedroom and out of the window it went (9095DF)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We are in the same boat I fear, ours Dometic is currently being looked at by a fairly competent guy, ours works on EHU and 12v but on gas only the freezer works, which has him scratching his head. He has emailed Dometic for advice, should they have any suggestions I will post them here.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Try browsing Thetford fridge spares or repairs on ebay, then have a look for a Dometic, they are like hens teeth, there's a reason for that.
Even Thetford fridge doors, too many to count, the Thetford fridge looks the mutts but the Dometic fridge usually lasts.

Mine is 26yrs old & counting, 29c out today & my fridge is icy cold, just had a cold drink & ice cubes from it.
Is that because, like most things, the older models were much better build quality.

Our Fridge Dometic is original in its 17th year and perfect touch wood.I

i keep hearing Dometic inverters are rubbish quality too but ours is perfect, same age, in its 17th year.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Had a similar problem with our fridge (7401) the gas sytem has a hi/low valve which was stuck on low. or thats what our man said.
Just a suggestion , it would make sense perhaps
Mike

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
If you were already resolved to getting a new one then you have nothing to lose by having a go at repairing it. Could save a lot of cash.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds like my washing machine, 'its knackered mate, you need a new one' £20 for parts on eBay and I fixed it myself....6 years ago.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Thanks all
Gonna remove it at weekend and see how bad it really is and if can be repaired
If you need a widget from the back of the fridge give me a shout as I have a dead dometic ripe for recycling of parts!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Argh need a new fridge.😭
circa 2.5k installed.

Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
We are in the same boat I fear, ours Dometic is currently being looked at by a fairly competent guy, ours works on EHU and 12v but on gas only the freezer works, which has him scratching his head. He has emailed Dometic for advice, should they have any suggestions I will post them here.
I know this is an old post but I have the same problem, great on EHU, running on gas freezer works OK no problem, fridge compartment only drops to 13c. did you find out what was wrong with yours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back