Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Embroidery machines

They are not cheap new, but can be got cheap second hand off ebay.

But it isn't just a question of press the button and it sews perfectly. I have an embroidery machine (and use it a lot) but I needed three hours of one to one tuition and lots of practice before I made anything that was worth selling. You also need to be aware of copyright issues.

If you are making your own designs you'll need a computer and digitising software and know how to use it unless you pay a professional digitiser to do this. Every machine manufacturer has their own embroidery format which commands the embroidery machine (basically an x y stitch placement robot). Maybe if you learnt digitising and had a machine with which to test the designs you could make your own designs and sell via a website? You can't take a .jpg or whatever and send it directly to the embroidery machine.

Private message me if you need to know anything else about embroidery machine! Oh and they aren't small or lightweight.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Embroidery machines

But it isn't just a question of press the button and it sews perfectly. I have an embroidery machine (and use it a lot) but I needed three hours of one to one tuition and lots of practice before I made anything that was worth selling. You also need to be aware of copyright issues.

If you are making your own designs you'll need a computer and digitising software and know how to use it unless you pay a professional digitiser to do this. Every machine manufacturer has their own embroidery format which commands the embroidery machine (basically an x y stitch placement robot). Maybe if you learnt digitising and had a machine with which to test the designs you could make your own designs and sell via a website? You can't take a .jpg or whatever and send it directly to the embroidery machine.

Private message me if you need to know anything else about embroidery machine! Oh and they aren't small or lightweight.

Thanks, much appreciated but I don't think this idea is for me. I took ruddy hours the other day just trying to use a sewing machine to attach a kador strip to our Silverscreens, nearly threw the lot out of the window in frustration.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi next door neighbors daughter runs a couple of facebook/twiter accounts for a couple of large company's -- she told me she does 4/5 hrs a day all from home /hour hear and there when she wants.-says it's not mega money but pays all her bills with a bit left over--manages 3 hols a yr on the left over bit :winky:No idea how she got into it but if she comes to her mothers/see her in the next few day's I can ask about it for you ?
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I part own a couple of embroidery machines. ( well I did up until a year ago )
You should expect to pay at least £5000 for a half decent one..
On top of that they do need fairly regular servicing and pretty diligent cleaning down

Further downside is there are thousands and thousands of folk at it now, including all the chinese imports.

If you are a fixed asset so to speak, you get work from local clubs, shops, taxi firms etc etc..
If you are moving about you would either have to develop your own distinct brand and market it, or rely on picking up the odd job here and there.
Believe me, my lot ran 3 embroidery machines, two thermal printers and various other vaguely clever stuff such as vinyl printing and the like, and the whole set up JUST about pays one mans wages

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi next door neighbors daughter runs a couple of facebook/twiter accounts for a couple of large company's -- she told me she does 4/5 hrs a day all from home /hour hear and there when she wants.-says it's not mega money but pays all her bills with a bit left over--manages 3 hols a yr on the left over bit :winky:No idea how she got into it but if she comes to her mothers/see her in the next few day's I can ask about it for you ?
terry

That would be great Terry, thank you.

I would prefer this type of work to being tied to a campsite or similar. It means we could move the motorhome around the UK in the summer to be near to where Colin is working that week.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Just catching up.... reading Terry's comments, I know of two local engineering companies who have someone manage social media for them, keeping daily twitter feeds going, google+ info, picking up news and reposting on facebook etc. All about keeping their search position high in the rankings.

Most businesses want to do this, but time and resources get in the way, that is the selling point.
Look at what you are familiar with and see what sort of content you see. We were involved in running a large sporting event 2 years ago, a lady was employed over the event to keep a twitter and facebook feed going.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
If you start looking at this as an option, check to see if your library runs computer courses, specifically on 'social media for business', this is where I learnt the basics.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That would be great Terry, thank you.

I would prefer this type of work to being tied to a campsite or similar. It means we could move the motorhome around the UK in the summer to be near to where Colin is working that week.

Will keep an rye out for her :thumb: Another idea could be like a ebay re-seller Find something to sell on ebay but buy from ebay and pass on the sale details ---IE I bought a device off a ebay seller for £8 but it actually came from another seller selling the same item for £5 :Doh: only found out because they put wrong paperwork in my package :Smile:
terry

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I use to do a fair bit of buying and selling on eBay and things were going well, then eBay changed its policy, now I find that selling can be a problem because if anything is wrong the buyer is right, biggest problem being postage. If your selling lots of low value items the cost posting makes it almost impossible to sell. But lots of protection for buyers.
Steve

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Will keep an rye out for her :thumb: Another idea could be like a ebay re-seller Find something to sell on ebay but buy from ebay and pass on the sale details ---IE I bought a device off a ebay seller for £8 but it actually came from another seller selling the same item for £5 :Doh: only found out because they put wrong paperwork in my package :Smile:
terry

some one i know was reselling gillette razor heads in this way buying on ebay and reselling them he got a warning letter from gillettes threatening legal action and ebay froze his accounts but the original seller is still trading my conclusion is the first seller must be recoognised by gillettes as a way to shift stock while not being seen to reduce there prices to keep the supermarkets happy like everything else its all a con to keep prices up

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Be VERY careful when looking for "home working" opportunities found on the internet. So many scams out there it is difficult to separate them from the genuine ones. And that is without the many pyramid selling schemes which I think are also scams (as in Ponzi scam), but others think are wonderful.

My advice is to do what others mentioned in the other posts have done. Find something that you are good at (and preferably enjoy doing!), then find a way of making some money from it.

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
I know a Dutch couple who have made a very lucrative living from just that. Whenever they are on a campsite they do the campsite workers T shirts and baseball caps. Campers are always asking for baseball caps with the make of motorhome embroidered on them.

Dutch caps still selling well then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back