Col

Free Member
Apr 21, 2014
bridgend
Funster No
MH
do not own yet
Exp
hi guys and gals,,my names Col ,Im from south wales and I am considering getting a motorhome,,looking for advice on pros and cons

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Col, welcome.
I used to be from just up the road, Pencoed. ::bigsmile:

You will get much help and advice here for sure and you will get out as much as you want to put in too. You will get the 'who's coat is that jacket your wearing' puns from the Funsters over this side of the water, but that's the FUN. Don't bring up anything about sheep.

Great FUN (what it's all about) and technical advice galore.

Enjoy,

Trikeman. :winky:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Welcome Col. Pros and cons.......
Well, if you get a motorhome, you can use it for holidays, weekends away, days out, an extra toilet, a meccano set you can live in, a bolt hole, the ability to move on if you don't like where you are, the chance to pay £10 to join the best forum/ club on the net, and chat to other like minded people.
If you don't get one, you have to stay home, go to hotels, go on package holidays or cruises and lurk around the forum seeing how much fun we are all having.
Convinced yet?
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to fun, if you want adventures, freedom, see a different side of life look seriously at getting a Motorhome, if you want to stay in the same place every year, then something different.

If you do think a motorhome is for you then you are in the right place :welcomefunster:

Morrigan

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm brand new to this site too, but welcome from me anyway.
I'm guessing that if you have found your way to saying hello on a motorhome site, then you likely don't need too much convincing. Go for it why don'tcha? You know you want to. :Cool:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome aboard,

Here are some pros and cons

Cons

A motorhome can be expensive
A motorhome needs MOT and Tax every year
You want to go away far more often than you used to
You DO go away far more often than you used to
There are motorhome scammers on ebay
You can end up with a motorhome that needs a lot of work if you are not careful in your purchase choice
By chosing the wrong motorhome you could be classed as a gypsy or Itinerant by some sites who wont let your particular type of motorhome on the site - choose carefully especially if you are looking at older motorhomes.
With statics you have to buy the unit, then pay all the charges and not be allowed to move to another site without massive losses if ownership changes or if you get bored

Pros

Saves a fortune on holidays
less likely to be stolen than a caravan
(we have seen on a number of occasions caravanners turfed out of their motorhome by police, who found a tracking chip which proved they had purchased innocently by the way, stolen caravan)
by joining fun, you get discounts on shows and from traders and insurance companies
A motorhome you park up spend two minutes hooking up to EHU if you want it and then do as you please - a caravan you spend half an hour at least getting into the right position, 3 hours putting up the awning and getting out the chairs and then collapse to the amusement of all the motorhomers who have used your experience as their afternoon entertainment.
You can unplug a motorhome and move elsewhere in a few minutes, providing you keep everything in its rightful place ie in the cupboards :thumb::thumb::thumb:
You save the carbon footprint by not flying abroad
A motorhome can be fitted with an immobiliser so that when it is stolen you can stop it in its tracks (albeit you could be liable for any accident that causes).
You sleep in your own bed, no nasty bedbugs, no dirty sheets no unexpected hotel overbooking resulting in you being moved somewhere you dont want to be.
FUNSTERS WILL TELL THE HONEST AND CRUEL TRUTH IF ASKED FOR IT

In the middle

Both motorhomes and caravans can suffer from damp
Both motorhomes and caravans can be fitted with tracking devices
Both can be stolen
Both can be vandalised

These are just a few for starters

Hope they help

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
welcome to the fun club.now you found us,come and join in.:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
A hefty outlay up front buys you massive flexibility in timing and destination - if you're not feeling up to traveling today you can always travel tomorrow. Of course you can only really justify the outlay if you have the time available to make considerable use of your asset. Before acquiring you must answer the question: will you own the motorhome or will the motorhome own you? Maybe you should try renting first to answer that one.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you're unsure do what many people do...buy a cheap older van and try it. if its for you and you love it sell the van and buy something a bit newer to suit what you really want. if its not for you, sell the van and basically lose nothing as motorhomes hold their value and there's always somebody will want to buy them.

don't think that its just for older well off folk, as people from all walks of life love motorhoming and it can be done on a shoestring budget all the way up to palatial luxury

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As Movinon says why not rent for a week and see if you enjoy yourself? Sometimes a dealer will rent you a motorhome and take the rental cost off the price of the vehicle you do buy from him.

We lived on the Coity/Brackla boundary in the late 1980s. Not been back since though.

Oh and :welcome:

:fatbuddha: from Scotland

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Col and welcome to the Fun! :welcomefunster:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Renting a Motorhome is expensive.... BUT it is a lot cheaper than buying a Motorhome that does not suit your lifestyle.
There are no typical Motorhomers, some like to use their vans like a hotel, travelling from one 'safe' harbour to another, staying on Caravan Club sites and relying on their good facilities. At the other extreme some people are very independent and only ever use 'Wild' camping places or Aires. They kit their vans out to be totally self reliant.
Which of these you are, may become evident in a hired van. My daughter is very nervous of camping outside of official sites in her van, while I love using Aires or Britstops.
You may find living in a limited space to be unsuitable or you may discover the challenge of restricted space is absolutely your forte. Whichever,whatever, a test run may resolve your future plans.

Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back