Free Member
May 25, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all and many thanks for having me on board, Need some information and this might be a strange post but bare with me. I have been based overseas now for many years and having recently returned from the middle east, the UAE to be exact. Now my only home address is my brothers here in Scotland. I have friends coming over to have an extended stay, 2 of them hold Emirait Passports.

Now they wish to purchase a brand new Motor home and tour Scotland for a few weeks then head down south then eventually over onto the continent. Question is how easy would it be for them to purchase one brand new cash and then get full insurance, would there be a timescale ! Whats the main problems they would encounter ! Have looked at renting one but its main peak season we are coming into and peak prices also, You may say but its far cheaper than buying outright, yes but plan was to try and sell it on after the trip. Any advice at all to work out how they can do this would be most appreciated

Cheers Colin

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all and many thanks for having me on board, Need some information and this might be a strange post but bare with me. I have been based overseas now for many years and having recently returned from the middle east, the UAE to be exact. Now my only home address is my brothers here in Scotland. I have friends coming over to have an extended stay, 2 of them hold Emirait Passports.

Now they wish to purchase a brand new Motor home and tour Scotland for a few weeks then head down south then eventually over onto the continent. Question is how easy would it be for them to purchase one brand new cash and then get full insurance, would there be a timescale ! Whats the main problems they would encounter ! Have looked at renting one but its main peak season we are coming into and peak prices also, You may say but its far cheaper than buying outright, yes but plan was to try and sell it on after the trip. Any advice at all to work out how they can do this would be most appreciated

Cheers Colin

There will be massive depreciation on a new one. It is better to buy a second hand one. They will be quicker to get sorted out with documentation/insurance, too, especially as new motorhomes are normally made to order, not sitting around waiting for a buyer. It is going to be VERY expensive whatever they decide to do.

OP
OP
S

superscot69

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the reply, Told them how much they would lose after a short while on a new one but hell bent on it must be a brand new one from a dealers stock. Looking at a comfy 4 berth which must be auto no manual and cruise control.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I agree buying brand new to sell after a short time is crazy but I suppose they may be lucky to find new old stock for a discounted price:thumb: but quite a bit of research will need to be done, I recon Peter from Johns Cross may be of some assistance here:thumb:

OP
OP
S

superscot69

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I recon Peter from Johns Cross may be of some assistance here

Having a look at the website now, I may need to try and convince them a second hand one is the way to go with low mileage

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
It may be worth checking out the situation regarding free European movement on Emirates passports.
I don't believe it's a case of "once you're in the EU you can travel anywhere" if you're not an EU / EEA citizen.
They may need Visas, or find themselves refused entry to France / Spain, wherever.

Last edited:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
buying a brand new, AUTOMATIC motorhome and then attempting to sell it after a couple of months, will be a very very painfull financial experience !!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
They will also have to satisfy our money laundering laws. Their "cash" needs to be traceable. 10k limit.

OP
OP
S

superscot69

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
They may need Visas, or find themselves refused entry to France / Spain, wherever.

John have left that department with them !

buying a brand new, AUTOMATIC motorhome and then attempting to sell it after a couple of months, will be a very very painfull financial experience !!

Greyman1 have told them that but look where they are coming from ....place a wash with money. I have been looking into just hiring one, but at this time just rounding things off to £1000 per week £4k a month or more then work out the cost for a 3 month hire or more, they want to have the ability to move about and extend it to 4/5 months if they wish, so really renting is mmmm a no no

OP
OP
S

superscot69

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
They will also have to satisfy our money laundering laws. Their "cash" needs to be traceable. 10k limit.

Would all be cleared through Emirates Banks, I just feel this could turn into a minefield of problems, hopefully not and can all be solved

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Hungary

Off to Hungary very soon. Anybody been there and have you any suggestions of where to visit. Heading for Lake Balaton.

Colyboy

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
If they are foreigners then insurance could be a problem

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Insurance companies in the UK will only insure UK residents who have a valid uk address. Not sure if you can get a UAE insurance to cover a new van (it will not have reg plates yet another problem with buying new.) Peter at Johns Cross may be able to help sort out the problems.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
even a brand spanking new, with plastic still on motorhome, sat in a dealers compound may take a few weeks to put on the road. DVLA registration and getting a logbook and plates normally is anything up to 4 weeks. you cant tax it, insure it or drive it on the road till then....well you can insure by chassis number but not for long

if your friends want to tour europe the van needs to be registered, insured and taxed in its home member state. that means a genuine registered address within the uk to be used for all paperwork. its nowhere near as simple as just paying cash, taking the keys and driving away same day

knowing a few car and motorhome dealers, i know a few will be wary of taking funds from a foreign bank account as well. will take some time to clear and again will need probably a uk address. its a messy can of worms

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This might sound outlanding but not knowing your friends situation, and having lots of friends in that neck of the woods, if they simply deposit £1m with the secretary of state they do not need any further insurance.
They can reclaim the money when they leave the country

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
If they are foreigners then insurance could be a problem

Hi, Aussie's here. in 2010 we flew into Heathrow, hired a car and drove to Marquis Motorhomes. Chose a 2nd hand - 3000 miles motorhome. Paid by bank transfer from Aust. to Marquis. It took approx a week to have all paperwork completed to drive away. We have a sister's address in England, however being non residents the only insurance available is Downunder Insurance. http://www.duinsure.com

We store our motorhome for 9 months of the year, and use for 3. Perhaps this could be an option for your friends if they intend to visit often.

Good luck

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Just a thought Colin do your friends actually have a UK or international drivers licence. Oops just noticed you need to subscribe in order to reply.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i stayed in Dubai years ago

married to the sultans daughter,
just did it because they said they would buy me a motorhome with a swimming pool on the roof,,
anyway back to this story about new motorhome not renting taking a hit on the price when they sell.. insurance, registering the van, where to buy what to buy,,,, what ever you buy you require a funster yellow sticker to make sure when it parks up we dont rob the safe thats in it of the millions nae trillions of dollars ..:ROFLMAO:

simple go to dealer buy almost new people die all the time there widows sell there motorhome off,, low mileage low use,and smells like new because its almost new....:thumb:
buy it register in 3 days from swansea,, and bobs yer uncles granwean,,
job done big new van away u go big van big wheels and a wee horn in the middle of the steering wheel.:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back