need address why living full time in MH (1 Viewer)

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi everyone, my wife and I are going to sell our house Buy a MH to live in full time, someone mentioned I would need a trusted family mermber or friend to use their home for letters (base) ect ,could someone please advise me why and for what? ..kind regards Paul (novice)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Bank accounts, insurance companies, are two people I know who need a postal address. Also if you are intending coming home for medical treatment you will need to register with a doctor.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You will require a c/o address for motorhome insurance which must be a 'full timing' policy, available from Comfort and ABI. Not declaring this to your insurer is called non disclosure and in the event of a claim the policy would be void. Full details of this on the Comfort Insurance web site. When you take out a standard insurance for the van with Comfort it is one of the questions they now ask.

I believe it is also a requirement for the V5c document, passport and driving licence.. bank may also ask for it.. as will a phone contact or any other finance agreement.

if you don't keep an address, your GP will take you off the register after three months, you then lose any health checks and routine screening done by the NHS. With advancing years, being healthy and staying healthy is a priority.

I'm sure there is more.. we were full-time for three years and it's not easy to stay 'legal' .. and staying 'under the radar' isn't really possible anymore

After you give up full time, without an address during that time leaves you without any history for any further credit or even renting a property..

it would be wise to have an exit strategy One day you may decide you have had enough or be forced to give up due to failing health or lack of money.. .. selling your property is leaving you vulnerable for the future.. rent the house and live off the income. but do make plan..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hi everyone, my wife and I are going to sell our house Buy a MH to live in full time

You'd be well advised to do a search in full timing in here. Some succeed, for some it's a disaster. Normal advice is rent house until you are sure.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I agree with what has been posted above, but i think HMRC are not bothered about a UK address.

For example all my income is taxable, but not all taxed at source, in the UK(UK Pensions and Rental Income) but they communicate with me at a non-UK address - well if they want me to pay tax, they would wouldn't they?

Geoff

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sorry, I misunderstood, thought you meant to full time with no address anywhere.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How much can l expect to pay for full time..?
how long is a price of string..

it's quoted on personal circumstances, value of van and contents etc.. but expect four figures.. £1,000 - £1500

£1200 seems to be ball park

only way to find out is speak to Comfort

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
How much can l expect to pay for full time..?

My first year as f/t went from £350 (having a home etc)... to circa )1335..
This year a penny under 1k.. with 10k mileage allowance... and breakdown etc... Moho now 3yrs old.. 66k new

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
how long is a price of string..

it's quoted on personal circumstances, value of van and contents etc.. but expect four figures.. £1,000 - £1500

£1200 seems to be ball park

only way to find out is speak to Comfort

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you.. l've not purchased MH yet just wanted an idea on cost of the insurance...

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bear in mind when buying a van that you may not get f/t insurance if the vans older than 10 years.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you.. Never knew that

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have just renewed our full time insurance with Comfort, premium was £845 so not bad compared to some. We use daughter & son in law's address for v5, licences etc no problem. We always find its best to be upfront and honest with bank, insurance co etc. We do online banking and have no paper statements.

For routine mail - C&CC, National Trust, pensions people we use boatmail.co.uk who offer a comprehensive scanning and forwarding service for a fair price.

We are both still registered with our original doctors surgery and I get regular repeat prescriptions. They are aware we live full time in the motorhome.

Paul

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have just renewed our full time insurance with Comfort, premium was £845 so not bad compared to some. We use daughter & son in law's address for v5, licences etc no problem. We always find its best to be upfront and honest with bank, insurance co etc. We do online banking and have no paper statements.

For routine mail - C&CC, National Trust, pensions people we use boatmail.co.uk who offer a comprehensive scanning and forwarding service for a fair price.

We are both still registered with our original doctors surgery and I get regular repeat prescriptions. They are aware we live full time in the motorhome.

Paul
Thank you, it's the one grey area we were unsure of ..this has put our minds at rest..

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you, it's the one grey area we were unsure of ..this has put our minds at rest..

You do hear of people having problems with insurance, bank etc but we have fulltimed for over a year now and everything has been straightforward. As I said I think its best to be upfront and honest, problems seem to occur when people tell porkies!

If you haven't signed up already, you could try motorhome365.com, lots of full timing info there.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back