Need a couple of decent 110aH batteries (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks to one and all for all the inputs
But......................

Cheers Alan,
having followed your work ethic and what you have to say I respect what where you are coming from and am happy to accept you advice.. To that end I will be ordering a pair of those Alphalines as soon as I get home ( no point in ordering them yet as they are just gonna sit there all lonely for two months ! )

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another vote for alphaline as sold by batterymegauk with 4 year warranty. reassuringly heavy indicating thicker quality internal plates. and absolutely no issues over the years on several different vans ive added them to

next day courier delivery is reliable too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry.. more than a bit tiddly .. Not Alan, Andy !!!!!!! ( as in Techno :thumb: )
Thank you ANDY for the info and advice will be taken ! :thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Another vote for Alphaline here :thumb: excellent delivery service and price. Bpught 2 of the 110aH to replace the ridiculously overpriced Exide 85aH gel the van came with. Very pleased so far.

Bought after reading a lot of info on the Sterling and other sites - oh, and as for the CC, wouldn't trust them to be acting in a transparent manner, its only about money there. Plus Nepotism rules!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Another vote from me for Alphaline from BatteryMega UK on eBay.

I had limited space so I replaced the original 80A/H battery with two 88 A/H which fitted like a glove. 2 years on, no issues or problems at all.

I paid the vast sum of £100.95 for the pair including free express delivery. :thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Deep-Cycle-Leisure-Batteries-88Ah-Boat-Use-/251360036855?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a8639c
7f7

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Bought a pair of low priced units to start with... Absolutely awful.. Both tested after three months use with less than 55 useable amp hours

I appreciate Banner tests are biased but .... Bought a pair and fitted them to Darrells van last year and both tested at almost the 110aH capacity they are supposed to be

But I will also look at the Numex ones too..

Will have a measure up tomorrow ( they are under the cab seats ) and check what size I can get in..

This will be the forth damned set I have bought .. I do not expect them to last longer than say 3 years in good nick but at the moment I seem to be averaging life in months rather than years !!

Great to get all this Advice & Info':thumb::thumb:----IT can really be a tough task DECIDING which to BUY without these unbiased views etc. ..BUT how does a Funster like me TEST my Batteries. to see how many AH's are in them ?? or NOT I Thanks to all..:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I am a techno numpty !!

Watching this thread with interest as I too need a couple of batteries this year !:Cool:
Just been in touch with Alphaline, their prices are great and they will fit them for me free of charge !:Cool:

So, I will be voting with my feet !:thumb:

Forgot to put details down..:Doh: 2 x 125 amp DC 31 batteries...£160-50 for the two !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Great to get all this Advice & Info':thumb::thumb:----IT can really be a tough task DECIDING which to BUY without these unbiased views etc. ..BUT how does a Funster like me TEST my Batteries. to see how many AH's are in them ?? or NOT I Thanks to all..:thumb:

You need to find out the exact spec of the battery you wish to test, but generally I would say when a battery drops from 12.2 to 12.1 you have reached 80% of the maximum capacity ( please understand these are ball park figures will vary slightly. )

The following presumes a 100aH battery ( for simplicity sake but I will put the info in so you can work it out for any battery )

You need something with a biggish load.. A pair of 55w headlight bulbs will draw about 8.9 amp with a mean voltage ( average ) of 12.4v

Make sure the batteries are fully charged

Wire up the bulbs and using a multimeter able to read up to 10 amps check to see what the current draw is.

Lets say it is 9 amps,,

Take the ammeter out of line and switch it to voltage.

Light up the bulbs and sit back.

See how long it takes until the battery drops to 12.1v

As soon as it drops to 12.1v turn off the bulbs

It SHOULD take about 9 hours.

Here is the maths..

For 100aH battery...

Divide the total aH available by the current drawn

Soooo
80% of 100aH is of course 80aH

So if the battery is all good and you DO have a full 80aH to play with then you just need to divide the 80 ( aH available ) by the current draw ( 9 amps ) and that will give you how long the battery SHOULD last before it starts to go critical and drop below 12.1v

Using the same basic formula you can work out any battery :thumb:

Couple of warnings

Do not use too big a load. Remember these are deep discharge batteries we are talking about, not batteries that can deliver cranking current.. Try and do it too fast and you will end up with warped plates

Use a decent meter that is accurate to within .1 of a volt

Do not presume the expensive one you have had for 10 years is still accurate... digital meters tend to wander as they age ( I have about 4 or 5 now that have just gorn orrffff dahhhling and over read by quite a bit )

Think thats about it .. Bet you wished you had not asked now !! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had a measure up and have a MAX length of 330mm, Max height of 220mm and ABOUT 200mm wide..
Now off to see what I can fit from the Alphaline range :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ordered yesterday, arrived today..
That's the good news..........

The bad news is that the 'old' batteries ( 9 months old ) are in fact the same units...

Ok, I know I pretty much killed the others my self by causing them to deep discharge, but I would have thought with virtually new batteries they could have handled ONE discharge and at least partially recovered.

Time will tell of course.... Just have to see how the new ones behave......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back