Need a boost! (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi All,
So I am hoping that I can find some support and encouragement from you.
We bought our van, a LWB Sprinter (Dougal) two years ago with high hopes and excitement.
Prior to this we had had 5 years of adventures in out VW T25 (Losty).

There are three of us in the family, myself, Pete, my wife Deb and our 15 year old daughter, Gracie.
We live in , St Austell, Cornwall.

So all was good to start with and we set about stripping the van and a relative kindly gave us some money which funded the installation of two windows and a skylight (fitted by someone else). Also I bought and fitted seat swivel bases for passenger and driver seats. We also got busy sticking in sound proofing and insulation.

Then a freak accident caused Gracie to need an MRI which revealed that she had a brain tumour and the bottom fell out of our world.

I would like to say that over these last two years of ups and downs and 3 surgeries later that I distracted myself by getting busy with the build. Unfortunately this is not the case and all our time and energy got diverted into supporting each other and wondering what the hell was going to happen.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we are seasoned pros now at coping and enduring our situation and Gracie has just had her 6 month post op scan from the most recent surgery. We get the results on Wednesday and this is ALWAYS one of the worst times, waiting to hear.

What I can say though is that in a couple of weeks I have 2 weeks off and I feel that the time has come to re find the joy in getting away in the van. We have a porta loo and a stand up Camping stove so I figure if I can get my act together and get 2 beds sorted then we could get away for some short breaks.

Can anyone out there please help me find my Mojo?

All the best!

Pete

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
If you can weather that kind of storm you can do anything. Drop a mattress in the van take some bedding each go out to a CL or a few separate nights away - go for day trips with a picnic and you can make tea / coffee - be the envy of those in cars. Take candles in jars if you have no lights- enjoy the days as they are yours to enjoy ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Find somewhere nearby, somewhere with a view or just plain peaceful, or noisy if that’s what you fancy.
As already said-something to sleep on and some bedding, a stove, food, drink and just get away for a night to start with, see how it goes.
Little and often to start, get the feel of it but get out there, don’t spend any more time wondering if you should, just do it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
:welcome4:
Tough times come and go,your good times will soon come,and you will appreciate it sooooo much!
Best wishes.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:ello:what a difficult few years for you all, life is expert at throwing curve balls when least expected.

You've found the right place for some support, whether it's about technical or sociable stuff, there's always usually someone around to give help.

As already said, just get the basics together, you don't have to go far at all. It's about switching off and just enjoying not having to think about the daily stuff. Sitting in a field somewhere, especially with a view watching the sunrise or sunset is good for the soul❤️

Good luck & very best wishes for your daughter's results.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Don’t use ‘camp beds’ of the type often found in tents (my back will testify to their non-suitability!) - a couple of mattresses will suffice and sleeping bags/pillows for starters. Perhaps a small ‘toilet tent’ for the porta-potti…..just to get it out of the ‘van, and give a little privacy….?
A CL/CS somewhere nearby…..or perhaps a little further away? Get out in your ‘van, clear your head(s) and rediscover your mojo…… (y) (y) ::bigsmile:

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
With what you have all gone through anything else has to be a doddle, best of luck to you all for the future.

As for the van, you don't need anything fancy, just comfortable. For sleeping you could use a sofa bed or futons securely secured for travelling, they would be comfy for day time sitting as well, with the portaloo and stove you don't need much else.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
what sort of places do you like to visit and how far from home ? It sounds like you might need a small 5 unit CL type campsite but with electric to keep your stuff charged and to provide a bit of light and heat (a couple of clip on led lamps and a small fan heater would do it. You might also need one with a shower /toilet and many have them.
I imagine your lovely Gracie is immuno suppressed and so you need to be extra careful than the rest of us? Let us know how we can help.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Wishing you the best of luck for results day on Wednesday! You have been through an awful time, & anything you do from now on will be a breeze! Chuck a mattress in, take sleeping bags & go & have a good time with your family. Sending a big hug!

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Welcome 👍
All the best of luck for Wednesday and for your future travels in your van. If you don't like where you go to you can always move on elsewhere or return home. The most important thing is to set off in the first instance. I wish you many happy adventures for the future.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello, I can see you joined in 2018 before your world was turned up side down,. best wishes for the results on Wednesday and welcome back to the forum, lots of good advice already, I think if you're planning on staying somewhere for a few nights a toilet tent is a good idea, you live in a lovely part of the country so hopefully you should be able to find a small site somewhere nice. Pack a bag of non perishable goodies you like so you can have treats
As you think of any specific just ask and I hope you have a good time.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

it’s your life got out and live it. Don’t do anything that you don’t want to.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
If you can weather that kind of storm you can do anything. Drop a mattress in the van take some bedding each go out to a CL or a few separate nights away - go for day trips with a picnic and you can make tea / coffee - be the envy of those in cars. Take candles in jars if you have no lights- enjoy the days as they are yours to enjoy ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Go for it, enjoy it as it is, relax in the countryside together

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back