NEC - Stand back let me at em.. (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
With all the threads about money, cost of motorhomes, how much people spend...
Which has naff all to do with anybody but a hard working man and his wallet :winky:

I DONT CARE...

Stand back, I'm off to the NEC and I have a credit card..

Hymer and Carthago stands here I come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flask - check
Sandwich bag - check

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Good move Tonka taking your own flask and Butties, take care of the pennies and the pounds look after themselves:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I see some salesman in for some hard negotiations, happy hunting. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
:roflmto:

I've tried to be sensible and put a deposit on a motorhome last night. The worry is that the new Hymers will be far too tempting to resist. But no matter what deal they offer, you've still got to pay the price one way or the other.

Think we're going to be looking at the accessories as there's loads we could actually buy. :Smile:

Good luck with your sandwiches. Potted shrimp, I hope?! And don't forget the knotted hankie on your head when it gets too hot.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Motorhome shows are great for research, I would never recommend anyone to actually buy a motorhome at one.:Eeek: Unless of course all the research done and you know exactly what you want and know precisely what it's worth, but even then! The atmosphere at a show is not conducive to a decent negotiation, well in the buyers favour anyway.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
What about this one?
Link Removed

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Motorhome shows are great for research, I would never recommend anyone to actually buy a motorhome at one.:Eeek: Unless of course all the research done and you know exactly what you want and know precisely what it's worth, but even then! The atmosphere at a show is not conducive to a decent negotiation, well in the buyers favour anyway.

We would certainly second that advice. We bought a Burstner from Timberland at Shrewsbury Show - without doing the research and finding out exactly what we wanted. A week later we decided it really was not for us and tried to get the deposit back. We found that once you have put your money down the deal is done and you are committed to the purchase!!

It could have been a VERY expensive mistake but luckily we had bought from Timberland Motorhomes and although they would not just return the deposit, they were willing to look at options. Kevin Cain, the owner, explained that he liked to talk face to face over a cup of tea and sort any problems out as he valued his customers and would do all he could to help.

In the end we did not buy the Burstner but switched to the Hobby Premium Van 60 GF which had all the features we really wanted, with just one or two compromises. Kevin gave us the same exchange for our Bentley, even though the Hobby was cheaper and he also included extras at cost.

Timberland build their own van conversions, which was one of the reasons we looked at them at the show. In the past we have bought from various dealers and from Bentley Motorhomes, where we saw our Oulton being built. We have decided it is much better to buy from a company who 'understand how motorhomes are built and have the expertise' rather than buying from a dealer who just wants your money and the motorhome off the premises.

All in all, although it was very stressful at the time, I would recommend Timberland unreservedly - although as Jim quite rightly says, make sure you do the research before you slap you money on the table!!!

Ginny and Mike

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Big Hymer on the Mercedes 5 ton chassis, just over £100k, mouthwatering but I would be afaid to use it in case it got dirty or scratched:groan:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't dare take my wife to the NEC.

It's bad enough looking at cars we can't afford:Doh:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Safe return..... Me and my wallet.....

Total expenditure..

£ 7 Train
£10 entry
£9 Weatherspoons, ham, egg and chips plus coffee...

the flask and sandwiches was a joke..:winky:
Although we did see LOTS with theirs...:RollEyes:

Hymer and Carthago still favourite's BUT the place is to busy with people jumping in and out of vans and NO I would never buy from a show.. Will be November soon, cold dark days. just right to ambush motorhome salesmen...

Met a few trader I know from my days supplying them with satellite gear.. Still moaning about the business.. lol

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I have just got back to the Motorhome after a second days trading and I have to say that the three of us on the Van Bitz stand haven't been able to cope:thumb:

We have had people queuing to talk to us, and we have had to make arrangements to draft in more staff, to ease the situation.

The show feels like a "pre recession show" and frankly we have sold more in the first two days that we did by the end of the show last year.

Mainly selling alarms, satellite TV, Air Conditioning systems and Avtex TV's

I have missed out on lunch two days in a row now, only to think that the "lull" must mean it is lunchtime only to realise that it is 4.30'ish and people were making tracks and leaving:whatthe:

If your spending tens of thousands of pounds buying a new motorhome, a visit to a dealer to negotiate the very best deal on a one to one basis over a couple of leisurely hours must be the best way to finalise a deal once you have looked at all the options at a larger show

Also mainly, really friendly people and a good positive, fun attitude all round.

Also people please remember your Funsters discount for all the trade that offer MHFUN discounts :Eeek: We have been talking to people that we know are FUN members, and have had to remind them about their 10% discounts:Doh:

Eddie

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I stopped and had a chat with Lynn but you were busy with potential/existing customers. Good to hear its been productive for you. :thumb:

My legs ache .............:Smile:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Well I have just got back to the Motorhome after a second days trading and I have to say that the three of us on the Van Bitz stand haven't been able to cope:thumb:

We have had people queuing to talk to us, and we have had to make arrangements to draft in more staff, to ease the situation.

The show feels like a "pre recession show" and frankly we have sold more in the first two days that we did by the end of the show last year.

Mainly selling alarms, satellite TV, Air Conditioning systems and Avtex TV's

I have missed out on lunch two days in a row now, only to think that the "lull" must mean it is lunchtime only to realise that it is 4.30'ish and people were making tracks and leaving:whatthe:

If your spending tens of thousands of pounds buying a new motorhome, a visit to a dealer to negotiate the very best deal on a one to one basis over a couple of leisurely hours must be the best way to finalise a deal once you have looked at all the options at a larger show

Also mainly, really friendly people and a good positive, fun attitude all round.

Also people please remember your Funsters discount for all the trade that offer MHFUN discounts :Eeek: We have been talking to people that we know are FUN members, and have had to remind them about their 10% discounts:Doh:

Eddie
I read your post to Miss M and she said that at Düsseldorf this year they expected 160,000 people and actually got 175,000. Also sales were hugely up on last year - must be a europe wide thing. Good - there will be some lovely 2nd hand wagons around in a few years ::bigsmile: (a discussion for another thread, this one I don't want to hijack!)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sorry I missed you, I did catch you from the corner of my eye, was expecting you to have a bottle or two of good English DOOM BAR real Ale :winky:

Still looking forward to meeting Bailey of course

Eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just to reiterate about the MHFUN discounts, a customer today (yesterday::bigsmile:) signed up for about Five thousands pounds of accessories ( Growler, Pioneer DAB/camera, Air con and Solar) got £500 discount for being a MHFUN Subscriber.

He was laughing about paying his £10 membership to subscribe to MHFUN two weeks ago. Tell your friends, join MHFUN today

Eddie

mr moo

Free Member
Jun 1, 2011
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
VW van conversion
Exp
on & off for some time!
hoping to get down either tomorrow or Saturday ::bigsmile: