Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Is it worth going?
If your thinking of buying a motorhome yes.

If your thinking about buying expensive accessories and want to see multiple choice yes

If your wanting bits and bobs, and interesting gadgets no, as the cost of exhibiting, and the length of time away from work is simply to high for many small traders

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
It seems to have gotten smaller the last few years. The reason is as Eddievanbitz says cost to traders.
Have a free ticket so will probably go.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think that the internet has a lot to answer, it is the Sword of Damocles for business's

Years ago a small business, a one man band type business could put a sign on his or her door "Closed until XYZ" and no one really cared.

Now using this industry as an example there are loads of business's which have a large on line presence, which the majority of motorhome owners perceive to be a "big business" This image is further enhanced by the small business's perpetuating the myth by having automated switch boards saying things like "Dial 1 for sales, 2 for Accounts" etc when they still get through to the same person sat in their pajamas;)

Now, come the two major shows come round and businesses have to think very hard about what they do.

Taking us for example, we need four people on our exhibition unit to ensure that we don't annoy people waiting to talk to us with long delays (and we still fail with people huffing and puffing as they have to wait)(Often only to find out after trying to wrap up the existing conversation prematurely that the "Huffer" tells us that "I have just bought a 2nd hand van that you put an alarm in in 1993 and the stickers have faded have you anymore?" :whistle:)

Yet "Van Bitz" still has to operate normally back as base. Obviously, this doesn't effect the workshop staff at all, but it does spread the admin and sales side a bit thin! "Oh I called the emailed you office an hour ago and no one has replied I thought you'd gone bust:doh:

However, we are lucky as shows for us is a flag waving exercise. We don't actually sell anything from the stand, so ours is all display. But we are still tied up from the Saturday/Sunday depending on our "stand build" ticket to get access into the halls before all the shell stands are built around us.

So best case get the exhibition unit in on Sunday morning and then we are "built in" till again best case the following Sunday night or the Monday morning, so some eight or nine days at the NEC

Irrespective, of the actual charges made to exhibit at the show, the additional costs financial and physically have to be considered. Tie up two weekends, and the days in between and the working days either side and it means that people are working 20 days in a row without a weekend off.

Now, if you are trader that has a huge web site, offering everything from pots and pans to clothing, but actually work from a lock up or your home, actually stocking very little but ordering products to sent direct, as they are sold, being away from base for eight or nine days is impossible unless you close the business.

Also, if you have a huge online presence, your customers would expect to see a huge stand, piled high with bargains, difficult if you don't actually normally keep very much stock. If you have a small "shell stand" the ability to project your business is harder as people would find it hard to match up your online and real presence.

Add to this that people will, quite reasonable look at something, lets say a Recliner chair price at the show at £120 each or two for £200 "Just what we are looking for! So after sitting in them, reclining in them, picking them up, measuring them to see if they will fit in the locker and asking questions about them, you thank the trader and say "We'll think about it" go and get a coffee and a quick search on a phone and you can get the same thing for the same price from Amazon, delivered to your house the next day on "one click" and you don't even have to lug them around the NEC all day.

This is in no way intended as a criticism, most of us have done similar, I know that I have, in the same way, when shopping locally, paid a little more for something that I "could" have got cheaper online, but want it NOW or feel that I would get better after sales service by buying locally.

A big heavy box, 120 miles away from home, available at the same price delivered? No brainer.

So the internet, great for some things, but it makes actual trade difficult.

Is this a worry to the consumer? Some may not think so, but when the time comes when there are no retail outlets, buying products, blind so as to speak becomes a leap of faith which is why even Amazon is experimenting opening actual shops as people do like to pick things up and play with them before making a purchase

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I think that the internet has a lot to answer, it is the Sword of Damocles for business's

Great post Eddie - the Amazon phenomena must be really irritating for retail businesses that have to have premises and staff to man them. I think if the manufacturers of products should wholesale deliberately cheaper to people like you as they would be better off allowing you to compete or be cheaper than Amazon and at the same time give the public to see the goods "in the flesh". Fortunately most of the equipment you sell requires installing and that is were your reputation gets you the sale.

I have been to the last couple of NEC Shows and did not find any real bargains there. You might get a better deal on a motorhome from one seller rather than your own local dealer but they don't tell you that you will have to travel 250 miles for warranty work.

I was looking for the likes of Taylormade, SilverScreens and Jormax when I went but nothing!

If you have narrowed down your search for a motorhome and know roughly the layout you want then it is great to see them all under one roof but nigh on impossible in one day to get around them all.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Now, if you are trader that has a huge web site, offering everything from pots and pans to clothing, but actually work from a lock up or your home, actually stocking very little but ordering products to sent direct, as they are sold, being away from base for eight or nine days is impossible unless you close the business.

Also, if you have a huge online presence, your customers would expect to see a huge stand, piled high with bargains, difficult if you don't actually normally keep very much stock. If you have a small "shell stand" the ability to project your business is harder as people would find it hard to match up your online and real presence.
Good post again Bitzmeister - I think the Mirror Guards and Peggy Peg geezer falls foul of this. Lots of people think it is a big business, but it is just a one man band and being away from "Home" for that length of time does put orders back a lot, plus he only has a very small stand at the side, so can easily be missed if you are not specifically looking for him.
We like the shows and used them to glee a lot of knowledge from dealers / Producers about products etc and used the info given to start off a debate on this forum to either confirm dealer / producer info or to knock it for 6. I do think however, that we are now "Showed out" now and will have to get a "Special Hot Chocolate" from Eddie in Somerset from now on.;);)(y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I love the NEC but am not good for the traders as i rarely spend any money. Do have a good look round the new vans and look for inspiration on how I can change ours. Now at Peterborough and Newark shows, I do spend.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Decided to put my refit back a week so I can (sort of) use the van to visit the show on Tuesday.

Anyone else going?

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I’m going!

First time for me, no real expectations other than to go and have a look at “stuff” that I’ve not thought about/don’t know.

I’m 8 months into my first Van so still discovering what I don’t know currently.

Jim

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
I'm going on the Friday using the special entry price thru C&CC, only $4.75 for me cos I'm old(ish)
Looking at things I need but probably won't buy because "needs" are mostly mundane.
Browsing stuff I want but can't buy due to the fact I'm broke having already overspent on "wants" (but didn't really need) :)
Finally, to decide which motorhome I'm going to buy when the syndicate wins the Euromillions (y)

Flooky

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New
we went, being new to mh,s thought it would be great, but it wasn't. good if you want a new van but other than that not great.
I am used to motorcycle shows with loads of bits etc but it wasn't like that.
Mind you we bought an awning, but not loads of bits and bobs about.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We used to go every October and February mainly because I enjoy tyre-kicking my way round MH stands, and the Duxette likes to browse the small trade stands.

After taking the plunge and buying a new one from the sales chap on the Rapido stand in October 2016, and still having a garage half full of unused camping stuff and accessories, I really am struggling to justify the cost of diesel just for a day out at the NEC next week.

Probably Newbury will be next for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back