NEC Show October 2016 - New & Interesting? (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Coastal Cruiser, as you say the currency conversion is not on our side at the moment but hopefully there are better times around the corner.

The Charisma 850L was nice, did you like the Morettini Birn wood? (Bit orangey) We like it but not sure about living with it long term, makes a change from white though and I can understand why they charge 3k for white over the standard wood effect.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Likewise with N+B Martin, I opted for the stainless dash trim detail Euro 495 if I remember. When I got it it was 6 pieces of silver plastic. I argued they eventually gave me a full credit! The black accents on the sides are vinyl, they wanted 2k for their additional option of more black vinyl, I told them they had to be joking I expected full body paint like on my RV. After all it was not a Damon Daybreak (mega cheapo US RV). That was wasted, so I passed on the additional sticky backed plastic!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Along with some others we checked out the new Hymer Duo DL534 7m long, smaller version of the DuoMobil B-SL 634 which we thought 2 years ago was way too big for us. The smaller one on paper looked an ideal van and one that we would have considered and may now cause some envy.

Sort of disappointing in that kitchen tiny, lounge cramped and with the smaller layout the flow was not quite right. We did not leave with van envy instead we had a glow of smug satisfaction, fantastic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Michael

I think a lot of the "profit" must be in some of these options.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Along with some others we checked out the new Hymer Duo DL534 7m long, smaller version of the DuoMobil B-SL 634 which we thought 2 years ago was way too big for us. The smaller one on paper looked an ideal van and one that we would have considered and may now cause some envy.

Sort of disappointing in that kitchen tiny, lounge cramped and with the smaller layout the flow was not quite right. We did not leave with van envy instead we had a glow of smug satisfaction, fantastic.
And ain't that a good feeling.

Ours is becoming one of fear and trepidation as the closer we get to changing the more I worry that it might not live up to what we have now.

Martin

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I think you are right!
In one of their extras packages Carthago say that the dashboard has "fine wood inserts". I think something must have got lost in translation as what you actually get is dull plastic wood coloured sticky tape that runs around the dash. Total cost, maybe a fiver for the roll of tape?

On another note regarding maximisation of profit opportunities, I believe they quote £900 for the fitting of a £100 basic spec Alphasonic tv and something extortionate for the lowest spec Pioneer radio. Is it me or would you think that more expensive motorhomes would include more expensive toys?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Hi Michael

I think a lot of the "profit" must be in some of these options.

Martin

Have got the price list for the 3 vans we are considering and it is scary looking at what they charge, over 4K for driver/passenger seats,
680 for leather steering wheel, 800 for some LED's under the awning, 1000 for a reversing camera, 910 for an air horn? What's wrong with the normal one!!
I would think it would be getting on for an extra 50-60k for the vans these dealers bring in on top of list price.
5k for a 24" tv and sat, would think Vanbitz are a few k cheaper on that.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
And ain't that a good feeling.

Ours is becoming one of fear and trepidation as the closer we get to changing the more I worry that it might not live up to what we have now.

Martin
Too true, all that snagging and installing the bits you need that are not on the option list. And then there is the stress of the dealer...... Then the Euro, you will always think if only I done this sooner I would have got it another 30% less! You have to be in the right frame of mind!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Finally catching up after our trip to the Show :whew: & visiting our son at uni to check that he was coping ok with Freshers Flu :frowny: Despite two long intense days at the NEC we still didn't get see or do everything that we wanted to! We really weren't planning on buying especially as the Globecar Summit 600 & 640 with their innovative new bathroom layout which we wanted to see weren't there but Mr Wombles has fallen for a Westfalia Columbus... He spotted the first garage on a 6m campervan big enough for all our toys with a bed over the top that folds up into a sofa plus excellent deep comfortable passenger seats that flip out into a good single/small double bed both converting with just a "flick of the wrist" ! :inlove:

Columbus-l.jpg

This is the 6.4m model garage :smiley:

IMG_20161013_133523782_HDR.jpg

Web photo to show how bed folds up & moves forwards for full height storage

Rear bed turning into a sofa

upload_2016-10-17_22-27-36.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Passenger seats
upload_2016-10-17_22-24-33.png

transformed into a bed! This is the smaller version for 1 adult or 2 children but 2 adult size an option
upload_2016-10-17_22-25-19.png

Colum600D-int-l.jpg

At last a heated wet room bathroom with no wood, curtains or fussy shower doors (mirror door is optional)
columbus-bathroom-l.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We managed to resist buying one this time but we have been doing lots of research into the build quality & features of the Westfalia models & think we will be going to the February Show :whistle:
Will post more about new & (hopefully) interesting things that we saw tomorrow along with some discount codes :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Unable to get there this year but if anyone spots a discount code for Tyrepal please could they post as am looking to buy.
Thanks in anticipation.(y)
Unfortunately neither TyrePal nor their parent company WSL had a stand at the Show just one of the caravan stands had them as accessories but no deals. We did try earlier in the year for a Funster discount but as the introductory price offer was on their website (& still applies) no further reduction was offered :( There is a Caravan Club code for £20 off but not sure if applies with the introductory price offer? Perhaps someone with a valid current membership CC website login could try? Link here http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/shop-and-offers/member-offers

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We cannot make it to Birmingham.
We have been told that there will be the launch of a new camera system that shows all 4 corners of the MH as if viewing from above. I have no idea who is selling it, but if anyone sees such a thing could they post the name of it please.
Did keep an eye out for this but no sign of it :( Did anyone else spot it?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Unfortunately neither TyrePal nor their parent company WSL had a stand at the Show just one of the caravan stands had them as accessories but no deals. We did try earlier in the year for a Funster discount but as the introductory price offer was on their website (& still applies) no further reduction was offered :( There is a Caravan Club code for £20 off but not sure if applies with the introductory price offer? Perhaps someone with a valid current membership CC website login could try? Link here http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/shop-and-offers/member-offers
The CC code is for a TC215B two sensor system, which is shown at £135 on the TyrePal web site (nothing on the Offers tab now). The CC site says "The TC215B starts at £135 for a 2-sensor system and costs £115 with this offer."
Did keep an eye out for this but no sign of it :( Did anyone else spot it?
Having seen it mentioned I had a look and saw nothing. The people on the Roadpro stand were all busy when we were there so couldn't ask them.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I spent big time at the show bought a cup of coffee, it was almost as expensive as a new van!
Been there & done that too! This year we took a small flask which was great as no queuing when we needed a drink plus the print off vouchers for Wandahome free tea/coffee worked (y) Think we are on their mailing list from entering competitions at the NEC - we didn't get given any sales pitch just a lovely coffee in a cup & saucer with a big plate of biscuits & a unrushed sit down which was a godsend as even though we were there on weekdays it was almost as busy as a Saturday :eek: Just a shame they don't sell motorhomes...

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not so many after show deals on offer this year but here are some discount codes found at the Show:
CAK Tanks free delivery on UK (zone 1) orders over £25 until 23.55 on Sunday 23rd October with code NEC16OCT25 & password Oct2016 for orders placed on their website http://leisurelines.net/ . Please note that this excludes toilet chemicals, batteries & liquids
Pro-tec Covers are currently offering 10% discount for all orders & their Easy Fit System (did look easy :)) free - see http://www.pro-teccovers.co.uk/ Normally 5% discount for all caravan & motorhome club members which hopefully includes Motorhome Fun?!
Dicky Bag (stylish dog poop bag!) http://www.dickybag.com/ get a free body strap (normally £6.50) with code FREE-79 . Made in Cornwall & a very popular product with dog owners at the Show
Link Removed
Safeguard insurance - if you are a potential new customer, already have your quote & it's looking competitive for the level of cover you want try quoting code NEC16 for 25% discount until 30th April 2017 https://www.safeguarduk.co.uk/
Caravan Guard insurance - again if their quote looks the right option for you & you are a new customer then quote "Show" for £10 off motorhome insurance until 30th June 2017 http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Wombles thanks mate I contacted them and asked if they were at show and they said the were not there but I got an 8 wheel kit with repeater for last years show discount plus 10% which I was happy with basically got the repeater free. Result.
If you don't ask you don't get well it worked for me
Tried CC and that didn't work.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
As @milliethehymer mentioned before this Trail-Breaker 4x4 camper vehicle is impressive & being newly launched it was getting a lot of interest at the Show:

It's great to see a full-on proper 4x4 (metal) conversion fully loaded with prices ranging from £55000 -£65000 & with an excellent safety rating (y). See http://trailbreaker.brookmiller.co.uk/ & enter their competition here http://trailbreaker.brookmiller.co.uk/win-holiday/ to win a free weekend hire - that would create a stir on a Fun rally! :whatthe:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Wombles thanks mate I contacted them and asked if they were at show and they said the were not there but I got an 8 wheel kit with repeater for last years show discount plus 10% which I was happy with basically got the repeater free. Result.
If you don't ask you don't get well it worked for me
Tried CC and that didn't work.
Glad you got sorted (y) Agree it's always worth asking for a deal - at worst they say no but great when it works :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Every little counts as the lady said(y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The popular Mr D's cooker is now available in smaller 3 litre size http://mrdscookware.com/mr-ds-new-3l-thermal-cooker/so ideal for 2 in the motorhome especially with still being able to use the top pot too. The built in carry handle & cast iron ring on the base of the internal pan look like a great addition (y)

DSCF0083.JPG

DSCF0080.JPG

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
There's always the February Show! :)
Yes ! But I've a big birthday coming up and may put it on my list!!;) It's a bit cheaper at the show and extras included so better than going on line I think.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Yes ! But I've a big birthday coming up and may put it on my list!!;) It's a bit cheaper at the show and extras included so better than going on line I think.
With the cook book and Top Pot it's £110.00 at the Shows instead of £125.89 plus £9.99 delivery so quite a bit cheaper although looking at the website looks like the Show Deal (plus delivery charge) for the 4.5 litre was also available online for the duration of the Show Link Removed . Looks like it is still working on the website too :unsure:

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
These pegs from Blue Diamond on the Seaflo stand looked fun especially if you have a retro camper:

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0027.JPG

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Imagine how colourful a rally could be if we all had personalised windbreaks?! :imoutahere:

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

Being from Isabella though imagined the cost would be a lot. Just tried it & cheapest version was £248 :( - sure it's well made but shame it's too dear for a novelty item as could change panels according to location & company...

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back