Nearly time to hit the road again .... Switzerland & Italy queries (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This time next week we'll be sunning ourselves in France/Belgium/Germany (wherever we end up!) on the way down to Italy for a 6 week holiday ... question is which route to take ...

Not sure which side of Italy we'll hit first but the intentionis to make our way down to the bottom along one coast to the 'toe' then come back up the other side, veering inland as desired/to see interesting places. Suggestions as to which route is best and any places to visit will be appreciated ... we visited Pisa, Venice, and a few more places in the upper part of Italy last year so will be going to Rome etc this time round.

I've done a travel route on 'ViaMichelin' which takes us through Switzerland which is the most obvious way and obviously entails having to use the Swiss motorway system and buying a Vignette. Can those who've done this tell me where I will be able to get one as it's too late to have one posted to me now?

Also as our camper is registered with a MAM of 4250kg will we have to get the standard Vignette or the 10 day heavy one? ... We have 2 V5Cs ... one at 3500kg and one at 4250kg! :whistle:

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you cross into Switzerland on the autoroute, you can buy one at the border. Just don't rest it on your dashboard, it can shoot down between the windscreen and dashboard....got the Tshirt,! Actually they will stick it on for you .

Do go to Cinque Terra. We stayed in Lerici on a lovely site on the promentary above the town in an olive grove with access to sea. Camping Lerici Maralunga.
The coast south of there not so good for a while so go inland past Pisa and stay at Montecatine Alta. Lovely ACSI site Dutch owners. Fabulous views from top terrace along with fabulous swimming pool. Both Montecatini Alto and Montecatini itself which is a spa town, worth a visit. A lovely old tram railway takes you between the two. We found free concerts on in the spa. You can get a train to Florence from there too.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We entered at Basle and exited at Como. Easy run with motorway all the way. Only problem was a half hour queue at the Gothard tunnel.

Being over 3500kg you can't use a vignette. Instead you get a "pass" that lasts for a year and allows you to use it for any 10 days in that time. It covers all motorways and tunnels. We used it for our return as well. Costs about 32 francs. Very easy to do. Just tell the guy directing traffic that you are over 3500kg and he will point you in the right direction. They will fill out the form for you and they accept credit cards.

Much quicker and cheaper than using one of the French tunnels and toll motorways.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We entered Switzerland on the motorway at Basle and it was easy to buy - the vignette in our case - at the border. And like Riverbankannie, the guy stuck it on to our windscreen - top left-hand corner (UK nearside). Lasted for a year. We loved Switzerland, especially as we had bright sunny weather. Scenery is stunning.

If you get well south in Italy, you might consider going to Alberobello in Puglia. Just google the town for amazing images of all the Trulli. We stayed in one last year - we'd flown to Bari and rented a car.

Whatever, have a great trip! (y)

PS When are you going? We're through the tunnel on Wednesday pm.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
PS When are you going? We're through the tunnel on Wednesday pm.
We're booked to go across on Wednesday at 16.20 ... if we're lucky we might get an earlier crossing but depending on traffic ... and if there's anything stuck in the tunnel ... it could be later! What time are you going across?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We're booked to go across on Wednesday at 16.20 ... if we're lucky we might get an earlier crossing but depending on traffic ... and if there's anything stuck in the tunnel ... it could be later! What time are you going across?
SNAP! We're booked 16.20 too! Might see you in the car park. :D

We also hope to arrive slightly early.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The 16:20 is very popular with those using thr frequent travellers scheme. First cheap one! But in my experience they will not put you on an earlier train unless you pay the extra £20.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The 16:20 is very popular with those using thr frequent travellers scheme. First cheap one! But in my experience they will not put you on an earlier train unless you pay the extra £20.
Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you. We were occasionally put on an earlier train when using Tesco points to book; but I don't recall ever getting offered a train earlier than the 16.20 with the frequent traveller reservation.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can I mention porta fino, as no one else seems to , fantastic place park up in Santa Margarito and catch the ferry over, the trip in is the best part through the yachts and boats , half a day is plenty as it's really only one road up and down but the ambience is something else, for anyone who doesn't know it's where Wayne Rooney and Coleen and many other celebrities got married.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Minxy Girl with a MAM of 4250 you are too heavy for a vignette, which is good! This means you can buy the heavy vehicle levy, which is cheaper (in your case). When you get to the Swiss border, the guard will try to sell you a vignette, just say "we are heavy", they will direct you where to buy the levy. It is really simple. fill in a form, have it stamped and you are good to go.
As for places in Italy, we've done a few, but we really love Como and Trasimeno.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
We're going across Weds evening aswell, looking forward to some better weather

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
After crossing into Switzerland (again many suggestions) we traveled to Brig with the intention of staying at an Acsi campsite. However, the site (although 4* it looked more like a 'travellers' site so we decided (after @jonegood suggested the Simplon pass which is free and you can either drive or use the train. There is an Aire on the top which we used going into Italy and on our return. It comes out at Lake Miggorie..

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
@Minxy Girl with a MAM of 4250 you are too heavy for a vignette, which is good! This means you can buy the heavy vehicle levy, which is cheaper (in your case). When you get to the Swiss border, the guard will try to sell you a vignette, just say "we are heavy", they will direct you where to buy the levy. It is really simple. fill in a form, have it stamped and you are good to go.

I agree completely, we even found that most rare of commodities when we crossed from Germany - cheerful and helpful border staff! No windscreen sticker if you're over 3.5t. A "heavy" pass for a few days is cheaper than having to buy an annual sub-3.5t vignette - no short trip option on those. The forms are tri-lingual, however I seem to remember that is French, German and Italian. No one stopping us or for that matter anywhere to stop at the border for us (3 spaces - all full!), we had to pull into an office car park 100 yards over the border and walk back.

Depends which route you're taking and how far you're willing to wander off it if this would suit but Camping Wang in Beatenberg near Interlaken has the most stunning views of any campsite I've ever stayed at - a small, friendly non-commercial site - of course expensive (it's Switzerland!) but worth it.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As for places in Italy, we've done a few, but we really love Como and Trasimeno.
Thanks ... I'll have to memories these as you can bet I'll get a non-English speaker! :D
  • German: "Das Wohnmobil ist schwer"
  • French: "Le camping-car est lourd"
  • Italian: "Il camper è pesante"

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We got our sub 3500 vignette at a motorway services in Germany. When we crossed into Switzerland, the border post was deserted, actually looked as if they'd closed up for the day, so it would have been impossible to buy a vignette there.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We got our sub 3500 vignette at a motorway services in Germany. When we crossed into Switzerland, the border post was deserted, actually looked as if they'd closed up for the day, so it would have been impossible to buy a vignette there.
That is why it is best to use a busy crossing point on a motorway. There will always be staff yhere to sort it out for you.

On more thing. When approaching the border do not follow the signs for the HGVs otherwise you will be queueing for hours and then find you are in the wrong place. Follow the signs for cars instead.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm beginning to think I'm not meant to get to Italy!!!!!!

Hubby told me tonight that there are forest fires and due to a severe drought they're turnning off water display fountains, drinking fountains etc and restricting use of water generally, apparently they've only had 9% of the rainfall they usually have! Plus it's gonna be ruddy hot too and we've got a dog who's nearly 14!

AAAAAAARRRRGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG

With what's been going on with the banking stuff for my Mum, plus the stuff she now needs sorting out (see other threads) and now this ... I'm totally and utterly cheese off ... BIG STYLE!

To add another flipping problem to the mix ... we recently arranged to close one of our bank accounts and cancelled the DDs on it at the end of July, one of which was for our camper's road tax, with the intention of re-taxing it now (via DD monthly payments) on another account but, despite it being cancelled the DVLA still requested it and the bank paid it ... but the DVLA site says that if the DD is cancelled they will refund within 10 days ... therefore I don't now know if the camper is REALLY taxed or not ... so that'll mean a call to the DVLA on Monday .... oh what joy!

I think I'm gonna go and stick my head in the pond and pretend to be a frog!!! Ribbit ....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The heat is supposed to last until mid-week from what I've read so things should begin to return to normal after that - hopefully. :)
What won't be so easily sorted is the water shortage. We're heading to south Italy at the end of this month but if problems remain we may have to review that but with any luck a few thunderstorms might help fill the reservoirs. :)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're planning to travel to Italy (again) too, after having to give it up earlier in the year due to high temperatures, in mid-September. Will be keeping a close watch on the weather!

Maybe spot some of you there too - we'll be travelling with @Portland

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A little bit of 'good' news ... hubby rang the DVLA tonight and the chap has confirmed that they won't be returning the DD payment and we are definitely taxed for August but we need to re-tax in on 1st September ... we'll have to make sure we're not in some remote place so I can get an internet connection!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
More bad news .... due to the drought Rome is turning the water off for 8 hours a day, the Vatican has turned off it's fountains for the first time in history ... and now parts of Italy are having massive storms and flooding! :eek:

That's it ... I'm not going this week now ... I've changed our booking to next week instead and we'll see how it all sits then ... at least I'll be able to be my Mum's washer sorted out! o_O

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Regarding your need for a heavy vehicle pass - be aware that unlike the vignette, which is only needed if you plan to use the motorways, the heavy vehicle pass is needed regardless of which roads you use, or indeed, even if aren't on the road at all. You must tick of each day on the form each day your vehicle is in the country. And yes, they do check. Also, regarding unmanned posts - you are supposed to then phone ahead to get authorisation to drive directly to the nearest manned office. Which is what we needed to do when we went in over the Grand St Bernard Pass.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@rickwiggans thanks for that info, I did wonder if we might need the 'pass' anyway, last time we went through we were 3500kg max so not a problem avoiding the vignette roads, but obviously can't do that now.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Do you have to buy a Vignette if you dont use motorways.. we are only going 40km over the border . Currently holed up in Freiburg until Friday

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do you have to buy a Vignette if you dont use motorways.. we are only going 40km over the border . Currently holed up in Freiburg until Friday
From my understanding if you are up to 3500kg and don't go on the roads which require a Vignette then you don't need anything, but if over 3500kg then you need the 'heavy vehicle' pass regardless of which roads you go on.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
From my understanding if you are up to 3500kg and don't go on the roads which require a Vignette then you don't need anything, but if over 3500kg then you need the 'heavy vehicle' pass regardless of which roads you go on.
Perfectly correct.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
and see my above post - if you need the heavy vehicle pass, you need it for each day you are in the country, not just the days you are driving

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back