Nearly brought an illegal back to UK! (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Arrived at the Tunnel French end at about 12.15 local time and took Archie to the pet passport centre. Didn't think to check under MH not that it would've made any difference and proceeded to ticket collection passports etc.

Full inspection underneath by armed copper and then we parked up and had lunch. We got called for the 13.50 train and drove until the very last barrier before descending down the ramp. The fellow at the barrier didn't seem like a security type, more just to check out ticket but he bent down and looked under MH.

When he started shouting "Allez, allez" I didn't think for one moment it was for the armed copper with the biggest Rottweiler in creation.
I looked into the nearside wing mirror to see a young guy drop from underneath the MH whereupon he sat crosslegged with hands on head, last thing I saw was this copper and dog descending on him.

The only place he must have been able to get access was in the so-called secure area after check-in.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
If you had been a truck driver that could have cost you up to £2000,hence the threatened blockade of Dover this weekend.
That did occur to me. Seems unfair to genuine working drivers when the security seems so lax.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Arrived at the Tunnel French end at about 12.15 local time and took Archie to the pet passport centre. Didn't think to check under MH not that it would've made any difference and proceeded to ticket collection passports etc.

Full inspection underneath by armed copper and then we parked up and had lunch. We got called for the 13.50 train and drove until the very last barrier before descending down the ramp. The fellow at the barrier didn't seem like a security type, more just to check out ticket but he bent down and looked under MH.

When he started shouting "Allez, allez" I didn't think for one moment it was for the armed copper with the biggest Rottweiler in creation.
I looked into the nearside wing mirror to see a young guy drop from underneath the MH whereupon he sat crosslegged with hands on head, last thing I saw was this copper and dog descending on him.

The only place he must have been able to get access was in the so-called secure area after check-in.
Dear God!!!. What THE HELL are things coming to?? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
BBC Breakfast News came from the French side of the channel. Its a blooming nightmare for anyone trying to simply come back home to the UK :swear:

Some of the haulage companies are paying out £1000's to the Government in fines for bringing back illegal immigrants, but they seem content to quote policy and throw money at the French, like it'll make the problem go away :swear2:

Then the immigrant are getting all aggressive and fronting up to the police, showing they’re exactly the kind of people we want back here in our country!!:boxing::swear2:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
God forbid, but I dont think it'll be long before someone dies over this, either someone falling from beneath a vehicle or a driver getting beaten up for not assisting and throwing people off their vehicles :(

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Surely this is putting many people off of using Calais as a crossing point, therefore there are financial losses to the ports and operators. I am amazed that they have not lobbied for better security - money talks!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Why not have a "sheep dip" type of pit to drive through or high pressure sprayers do the underside of vehicles.

Dont think any one would want to be under a vehicle with that happening, word would soon get around.

Why doesnt this country send out a lot of propaganda saying no home no money no jobs here to be had.

If that doesnt work say there are vigilantes roaming the streets looking for illegals :eek:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Why not have a "sheep dip" type of pit to drive through or high pressure sprayers do the underside of vehicles.

Dont think any one would want to be under a vehicle with that happening, word would soon get around.

Why doesnt this country send out a lot of propaganda saying no home no money no jobs here to be had.

If that doesnt work say there are vigilantes roaming the streets looking for illegals :eek:
If you used a sheep dip, they would claim EEC Farming Subsidy as well!

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We came back thro Tunnel last Thursday, not a spot of bother, not a sign of any illegals at all !! Mind, the bottom of the MH is well waxoyled, bet even Spider-man could not hold onto that.

Why don't the authorities run Q-trucks towards Calais ? They could have empty trailers, slow down, let loads of illegals jump into back then lock the container doors, put the truck onto a ferry to Somalia, open the doors at a Somali port and wave off the illegals with a cheery "Have a nice day, see you next time".

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Why not what Tangier Med does... Ask everyone to leave there vehicles and scan the vehicles so many at a time ... Only took minutes ...very effective

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We came back thro Tunnel last Thursday, not a spot of bother, not a sign of any illegals at all !! Mind, the bottom of the MH is well waxoyled, bet even Spider-man could not hold onto that.

Why don't the authorities run Q-trucks towards Calais ? They could have empty trailers, slow down, let loads of illegals jump into back then lock the container doors, put the truck onto a ferry to Somalia, open the doors at a Somali port and wave off the illegals with a cheery "Have a nice day, see you next time".

Now that's a plan!:D

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Came back on the tunnel on Sunday, saw two illegals hanging about outside the fence. No one checked under the van apart from me. French police used that magic stick thing to wipe the steering wheel and UK passport asked me where we stayed last night and if we had stopped anywhere on the way to the tunnel.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Eurotunnel should employ some of these illegals to check under the vehicles for other illegals and pay them so they would have no incentive to come here.
That would cut down the amount of illegals coming over and free up border control to walk around looking mean with their lollipop scanners.
It probably wouldn't work, but it's a better idea than our government will come up with.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I find it all a bit sad and also potentially scary. I don't mean someone trying to steal a lift under a MH, they have been jumping into lorries for decades, the MH angle is just a recent twist.

What is worrying is the numbers trying to escape wherever they come from are increasing. The pressure will only get worse.

The haves and the have nots.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Eurotunnel should employ some of these illegals to check under the vehicles for other illegals and pay them so they would have no incentive to come here.
That would cut down the amount of illegals coming over and free up border control to walk around looking mean with their lollipop scanners.
It probably wouldn't work, but it's a better idea than our government will come up with.[/QUOTE]

It certainly is! (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I heard of a British lorry driver that goes between Calais and Germany, He always parks in the Dover queue when he is back to Calais with an empty for Germany. He says he can fell them all getting in and then he arrives in Germany, drops it off and brings another empty full trailer of goods not illegals back to Calais and repeats it.
He reckons the factory in Germany is fed up with him dropping all these people in Hanover.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Nearly as bad as mine this morning and Indians living in grottos as opposed to ghettos :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
On the news an illegal was under a coach full of kids for 200 mls, caught him and he is now in custody on three meals a day, lucky lads made it methinks.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Like Geordies we came back through the tunnel on Monday and didn't see any unusual activity or suspicious characters.
That included a long wait at Pet Passport as the Brit in front didn't appear to have their pet micro-chipped and the French checking was explaining patiently what needed to be done and the cost. You do wonder!

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We saw nothing either until matey dropped down onto the tarmac!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back