Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We are thinking of taking the motorhome to a ski resort this winter, but driving long distance is difficult for us and so wondered what the nearest resort, or the quickest to get to was.
We are complete ski beginners

Deleted User
Probably the nearest is Gerardmer in the Vosges, not too bad for beginners, though not always reliable snow.

There is an Aire in town, or you can sleep near the ski lifts , in the car park.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Definitely get some lessons booked at Xscape or Chillfactore before you spend precious time and money going skiing. I sincerely hope you enjoy the experience, but you don't want to drive 600 miles just to find the boots hurt your feet and you can't balance on skis.
ps skiing is the best (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have driven down to the Venosc region and stayed in a lovely campsite below the resort of Les Deux Alpes. It is about 800 miles each way from Dorset but we don't drive in the winter. It is a glacier resort so we go at Easter. The roads are clear and the campsite is often warm. The cable car goes up to Les Deux Alpes itself.
I do have to agree that some experience at skiing is essential as boots etc can be a pain if not fitted well and it can ruin the holiday. I would definitely recommend getting to an indoor centre and have some lessons first. As far as the driving goes ...it's easy. The roads are great and there are motorways for speed. (Tolls though ) go for it and enjoy.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thank you everyone for the replies.
we are looking at going in the Christmas holidays having toyed with the idea for quite a few years.
I once went on an indoor ski slope whilst on a stag weekend in Amsterdam....thats my ski experience....i didnt fall but just had to crash at the bottom to stop!
Taking our 2 young children so we wouldn't be spending a great deal of time on the slopes, But want to start them early.
hoping that we will all love it and it will be a regular thing

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I would make decision where to go once you get to the Continent. Xmas is early season and snow may be limited at low resorts. This includes the resorts near the channel ports, I.e Vosges in France and Winterberg / Wissengen in Germany.

If you really can't drive far you could always get ferry to Spain. There are resorts within an hour or so of Santander although you may need to drive to Pyrenees to get any snow at Xmas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thank you everyone for the replies.
we are looking at going in the Christmas holidays having toyed with the idea for quite a few years.
I once went on an indoor ski slope whilst on a stag weekend in Amsterdam....thats my ski experience....i didnt fall but just had to crash at the bottom to stop!
Taking our 2 young children so we wouldn't be spending a great deal of time on the slopes, But want to start them early.
hoping that we will all love it and it will be a regular thing

As you're unable to ski I second what others have said and get some lessons in the UK first - especially if you're taking young children.

Ski-ing over the Christmas period is horrendously expensive and if you add ski school for the children in as well it's going to set you back quite a bit. Having said that though it's great fun!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back