Near Miss (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Returning home yesterday we came upon a three lane section of road, in the centre lane was a P.O. van, quite legally, wating to do a right turn. Checking my nearside mirror as we approached on the inside of a LH curve I saw a car travelling at speed overtaking the car behind me. The van was square in his sights. The PO driver saw the car at the same moment as me and pulled over into my lane to avoid a collision! my only choice, at 60 mph, was to take to the grass verge.

I can now vouch for the efficiency of the Fiat x250 brakes, ABS, and vehicle stability under severe braking. We stopped in a straight line with both nearside wheels well on to a soft grass verge. The overtaking car shot past, both the van and the car following stopped to see if everyone was alright. No actual contact took place though at one point my mirror was over the roof of the van.

Some minutes later my wife calmed down. Checked the underside for damage but nothing to be seen. The only upset in the van was some water spilt from the dog's water bowl!

Now I know FIAT have been taking a lot of stick, from myself as well, but this incident gives me enormous confidence in the van. It takes something like this to test everything.

Hope nobody else has the same experience.

rgds
Bill
:Eeek:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Returning home yesterday we came upon a three lane section of road, in the centre lane was a P.O. van, quite legally, wating to do a right turn. Checking my nearside mirror as we approached on the inside of a LH curve I saw a car travelling at speed overtaking the car behind me. The van was square in his sights. The PO driver saw the car at the same moment as me and pulled over into my lane to avoid a collision! my only choice, at 60 mph, was to take to the grass verge.

I can now vouch for the efficiency of the Fiat x250 brakes, ABS, and vehicle stability under severe braking. We stopped in a straight line with both nearside wheels well on to a soft grass verge. The overtaking car shot past, both the van and the car following stopped to see if everyone was alright. No actual contact took place though at one point my mirror was over the roof of the van.

Some minutes later my wife calmed down. Checked the underside for damage but nothing to be seen. The only upset in the van was some water spilt from the dog's water bowl!

Now I know FIAT have been taking a lot of stick, from myself as well, but this incident gives me enormous confidence in the van. It takes something like this to test everything.

Hope nobody else has the same experience.

rgds
Bill
:Eeek:

Doesnt sound like a very nice experience Bill. Glad to hear that your ok and yes its nice to know that your MH has done its job for you.

Cheers

Jim :Eeek:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm pleased everyone was able to drive off again with nothing worse than a very bad scare.
A friend of mine was actually hit by another car in virtually identical circumstances. The driver that hit him died. The centre lane on these three lane roads aren't known as suicide lanes for nothing.

Regards
Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Galway

Free Member
Nov 6, 2007
Galway Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
10 years
WillH

You had someone looking out for you.
You can class yourself as a very good driver with you quick actions.
TG you both are OK.
Take time out for a few days to get back to normal.
Safe driving.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Good to hear you got out unscathed. But what a scare!

Thinking about your experience, I wondered if it would be useful for other members for us to post unsafe roads we locals know about but strangers might not be aware of?:Smile:

I'll start with the A483. After Wrexham, at Ruabon it turns from a dual carriage way to two single lanes to cross the viaduct at Halton. There are always idiots who try to overtake on the viaduct ( narrow lanes, side winds, big drop into river).

The A483 then meets the A5 at the Chirk roundabout. and then is still a single carriageway but there is actually room for1 but not 2 cars to pass the vehicule they are following. Not for nothing is the stretch down to Oswestry known as suicide ally. I can't count the times I've almost pulled into the verge by having 2 idiots try to overtake in a space made for one. :Eeek:

I know this is not fun and people may find it boring, but I hope it is of use if you are coming to Wales. BTW there is a good truck stop at the BP garage on the A5 at the St Martins roundabout just before Chirk. Good hot food and clean loos and plenty of room for parking when we've been, but opens early and closes early.:Smile:
Lucille

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back